Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are the Redskins the most embarrassing team in the NFL?

P90Xpert

P90Xpert, you might want to look at how you painted this franchise as never competing or getting better. There has been signs of that but there have been mistakes made along the way. You can name all the players that haven't worked out here but so can other teams like the Lions, Cardinals, Texans, Browns, Bengals, Raiders, Bills, Jaguars and 49ers. All of those teams are always drafting in the top 10 or 15. I can't name the number of guys that the Browns and Raiders have waste in the first round on guys that never pan out and end up out of football. At least the Redskins have made the playoffs in the last 10 or 15 years unlike the Raiders, Texans, Lions, and Bills. But the fact is we aren't the only pitful team of the past. Do you think that Paul Brown and his Cleveland Browns are better than this team? How about Al Davis and the Raiders? The Lions? The Bills? What have they done to be labeled any better than this franchise? Is it due to the bad FA signings that didn't work out? or is it due to the media's and former players perception of Dan Snyder? Look at the players that have bad mouthed Dan Snyder and it comes down to a business decision that was made that they didn't like. There are so many of guys like you that think that we did this or that wrong like you could do a better job. FA, the Draft, coaches, and injuries are the risks that are taken by every team and some work out others don't. So if you don't like what is happening here then just go somewhere else. Nothing else has worked and if you had the solution you would be running the Redskins but that isn't going to happen any time soon now will it?

This is the problem with extremeskins. Anytime someone expresses an opinion that leans to the negative and ask others to actually stop and think about something instead of contributing to the thread with actual thought provoking discussion, we get "you're a troll."

No the problem is that your post is completely off base. Yes, we have stunk for the most part of the last two decades but we are better off than about 4 or 5 franchises including your beloved Cowboys.

As for the draft, the jury is still out. Too early to tell and too few picks.

I will give you the jury being out on the draft picks but too few picks? We had the most picks of any team in the NFL - 12 I think it was in a 7 round draft. How many were you looking for?

Not quite... Da Oakland Raiduz (in my best Chris Berman voice) get my vote hands down. Other than stealing jason campbell from us last season when he was probably a better option than Donovan in retrospect, (which would have saved us a 2nd round pick at the very least by the way... im jus sayin) the Raiders are probably the only team in the NFL that isnt a bigger laughing stock than us.

Examples

1. Hiring 9 different head coaches in a 9 year period

2. Hiring Lane Kiffin to be head coach with no NFL coaching experience (this move made the Jim Zorn hire look like the 2nd coming of Bill Walsh)

3. Selecting Darrius Heyward-Bey with the 8th pick in the 2009 draft when Crazy Al could have traded back a good 10 picks and still got his man (DHB), picking up some extra picks in the process

4. Drafting a kicker - Sebastian "Sea-Bass" Janikowski in the first round of the 2000 draft when he would have been available in the 2nd round then turning around and selecting a punter (Shane Lechler) in the 5th round of the same draft when they only had 6 picks in that draft of which 2 picks were 7th round picks.

5. Having an old school, original AFL owner (Al Davis) proudly and openly take on the role of General Manager (or Managing General Partner... whatever he calls himself these days) when the game has obviously passed him by

I could go on and on but I think I've made my point. As crazy as the redskins may have looked the last 10 seasons at various points in time, we can always count on Al "Just win baby!" Davis to make what we're doing look brilliant. Thanks Al!

jericho, the skins have been perennial offseason champs for years. this approach does appear to be different, namely cuz snyder isnt calling the shots anymore.

I don't deny that many on this board and in the media have used the term "offseason champs". Does not mean the term was properly applied or properly understood by thos involved. For example, just over a half-decade ago this team acquired 4 New York Jets in one offseason. Many here called them the Jetskins. Many celebrated a so-called "offseason championship". And yet, in a vacuum, only one of these moves was even remotely considered a "big move". And in a vacuum each move seemed to do okay. But it obviously did not alter the long term prospects of the franchise. Let's examine each move:

1) The team traded its first round pick for Laveranues Coles. Coles instantly put up big numbers and became the team's #1 guy. A few years later he was flipped straight up for Santana Moss. Moss then became and remains the team's #1 wideout. That's pretty good production for a first round pick. Much more than Rod Gardner or Michael Westbrook ever produced. It was a big move since Coles was an established WR and was supposed to be the team's #1 WR. It also should be considered a good move for the Redskins.

2) The team signed Randy Thomas to be guard. Thomas cost the team nothing more than Dan Snyder's money. He was a consistent and solid starter when healthy. Eventually health issues became a factor, but people forget he started all but 3 games his first 4 years. Not a big move since Thomas never made a Pro Bowl before joining the team and guard is not a high impact position. But it should be considered a good move for the Redskins.

3) The team signed John Hall to be kicker. Hall cost the team nothing more than Dan Snyder's money. And since kickers make less, that just means less of Snyder's money. Like Thomas, he was a consistent and solid player when healthy. Unlike Thomas, Hall started having injury problems sooner. After 1 solid season, he suffered through 3 more injury riddled seasons. I can't consider this a high profile move since kickers are some of the lowest paid players on a football team. I'll say the move was decent. It obviously did produce the return hoped for, but mainly due to injuries. And people might forget how bad the Redskins kickers were prior to Hall. So Hall was an upgrade, and for a minimal cost. At worse I'll say break even, even if Hall did not earn every penny of the contract.

4) The team traded a 5th rounder for Chad Morton. Morton had two ok, but uneventful seasons before moving on. Did not do much for the team, so hard to see how this move was a positive. Losing a 5th hurts, but shouldn't be seen as too negative either. The two first round picks before this offseason were Robert Royal and Andre Lott. The two made after this move were Mark Wilson and Robert McCune. Not exactly a who's who of great players. Not a high impact move based on cost and position. A negative on the return since Morton did little, but the expectation of a normal 5th rounder isn't much higher.

4 moves. Two worked out just great. One was ok. One not as much. And yet this is an off-season championship? Were these additons supposed to add 5 wins to the team total and carry the team to a Super Bowl? No one expected that. Simple fact is most offseason moves are tinkers. There are not grand, broad sweeping changes. Signing a decent guard is not going to make or break a season. Football is built through depth and high end players at impact positions. It's rare for a high end player at an impact position to become a free agent.

When the Redskins would make their offseason moves, they were already selecting from a lower tier quality of player. They may have signed more of them (mainly due to lack of depth through poor drafting), but it's not like this was supposed to cure all the ills. Without a legit QB, the team still had its issues.

---------- Post added August-8th-2011 at 02:43 PM ----------

I will give you the jury being out on the draft picks but too few picks? We had the most picks of any team in the NFL - 12 I think it was in a 7 round draft. How many were you looking for?

The point I was trying to express on the lack of picks goes to last year. The team made six actual picks, but only two in the first 5 rounds. Not sure how we can judge the drafting ability of Allen based on a few small picks. This year the team did better in acquiring picks, but since none have played even a preseason game, I can't judge how they'll turn out. Until we get a better sample size of Allen's draft picks in action (beyond Riley and Williams), I can't make any statements on his drafting ability w/ the Redskins.

This is the problem with extremeskins. Anytime someone expresses an opinion that leans to the negative and ask others to actually stop and think about something instead of contributing to the thread with actual thought provoking discussion, we get "you're a troll."

You've been a member here what, 4 months and apparently you know what this site is about? Hilarious.

Maybe the real question is how many wins this year will it take for the "general public" to not think the organization is a joke? Because it doesn't matter if we went out and grabbed all the big name players, or got the low-key players, because I still see articles about what we did in the past. Even though I don't see the same for other teams in the NFL.

There are 16 teams with longer Super Bowl winning droughts than us. I wonder why they don't get picked on like we do? Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. Half of the league is worse than us when it comes to more recently winning a Super Bowl.

Mr. chrisavery72, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

I sure hope this is you being sarcastic, because you are assuming I agree with the OP, but that is furthest from the truth.. I never said I agreed with him. I said how many wins will it take for the general public to NOT see the Redskins as a joke.

go back and read the rest.

OMG!!! Someone actually responded to the post...Nice...very valid points...For everyone else why waste your time to respond only to not answer the question...Just let the thread die and move onto better things...Sorry I forgotten this board isn't much for thought provoking anymore...One scathing retort after another with no regard to what the thread was about.

If that is the case, why havent you written a response to any of the well thought out responses? All you say is "very valid points" and short phrases like that. If you are here to discuss football, then do it. Dont attack everyone else for doing the very same things that you are.

lol. Hey, at least we aren't the Raiduhs, the Cowpukes, or the Bengals, or the Lions, or the Bills.....

It's very possible that the Lions could be a legit threat this year in the NFC.

It's also very possible that we are about to enter a period that the Lions just went through.

If we are, hey, at least we don't have a Thanksgiving game every year to expose the suck to the whole world! :)

This guy's other thread was all about how everyone made McNabb the scapegoat for our team's problems (even though most people didnt) My guess is that he is an Eagles fan that followed McNabb to DC and is upset that many of us dont want him here.

It's very possible that the Lions could be a legit threat this year in the NFC.
The past couple years it's looked that way. They just can't keep Stafford upright out there.

Yeah, I'm envious of the prestige of playing on Turkey day, but don't want it until we're good again.

Archived