Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins vs Steelers. What/Who You Are Looking For?

SkinzDeep

Ahhh... Finally a game week arrives - at last. It was nice to see all the Skins' fans out at fan day Saturday and the players seemed just as excited to see us as we were to see them.

Although we don't anticipate seeing much, if any of the starters this Friday, at least it's Redskins football. What and who are you guys keeping an eye on that maybe the average Redskins fan should be aware of?

1. If Kerrigan is playing, I'd like to see how well he's adjusting to his less familiar OLB duties of dropping into coverage, operating in open space, etc.

2. The QBs -- naturally. More on their tempo and how quickly they get the ball out on passing plays.

3. How well Montgomery shores up the center of the line along with Chester and Lichtensteiger

4. Who Danny Smith plugs in for running back kickoffs and punts.

...After that, it'll be good just to see how the new team looks

To be honest, I'm expecting this first game to be pretty ugly. Like... High school football ugly. I'm excited to see our players on the field and all, but with things happening so quick this "offseason", the only thing I really watching and hoping for is that we come out of the game relatively injury free.

QB battle, i plan on watching. With Torrain hurt I really looking forward to seeing our RB's buried on depth chart fight it out. Of course the WR's will be intersting as well.

Won' t see much from our 1st team d, but as preseason progresses I def looking for signs that our D is much improved from last years outing.

I'm looking forward to watching the following:

1. QB play. Win or lose I don't care, I just want to see a well managed offense from the QB.

2. WR play. Can Kelley finally do something? Will we finally have some help for Moss? Can Armstrong build off last year?

3. D-Line. Can't wait to see if Jarvis Jenkins is as good as he's been in practice.

4. RB battle. I hope Helu and James Davis get a lot of carries. I think both have great potential.

Mainly how well the offensive line plays. Whoever plays at QB is probably going to be inconsistent and have good / bad days so I wouldn't make too many judgements based on one game, but if the OL holds up at least the QB won't get killed and we might have a running threat to help them out. With so many new faces there's lot's to see: new receivers, new running backs, almost a new defense.

And please, no injuries.

RB battle. I hope Helu and James Davis get a lot of carries. I think both have great potential.

I see nothing in Davis personally DH. The only RB that showed anything last season other than Torain was Keiland Williams and even that was nothing to write home about. I don't see James Davis making it, but we'll see.

I am looking for guys not getting injured. Do not want to see any of their "true" starters pulling any hammy's.

W/ only a week, or so, of practice, I am not expecting much from any of the new guys. I really don't expect any of their new guys to look good until around the 3rd week of the season. It is going to take them a while to learn their PB.

Would love to see Beck, but I am not sure if he will get any snaps in the game if he isn't healthy.

I know he may not play, but I love watch Fred Davis. He's an exciting player to watch regardless of the game.

On the defensive side of the ball I want to see Kerrigan and Carriker play. Both of those guys could be a nice part of our defense and I'd like to see how they look against live bullets.

It is too early to expect actual production on the field from what is essentially a new roster, but show me some 'tude guys! Lemme see how you hold up against LeBeau's D machine, how you do when things don't work, show me the rooks out there really trying even if they still look like rooks. Getting to the line crisply and running plays on time, guys knowing where they are supposed to be, just the basics of grasping the overall plan would be a good sign to me.

Things I'm looking forward to:

1. QBs seeing if they'll give Rex a legitimate shot to compete for the job

2. WRs If Rookies Niles Paul and Leonard Hankerson can emerge

3. RBs if Helu or Royster are good enough to make the roster and an impact in 2011

4. How Kerrigan and Jenkins contribute to the D

I am looking for just some continuity for the team. With so many new faces I would like to see what resembles an NFL team. Win or Lose in preseason does not matter. If the team is communicating and lining up right, running the right plays than that should be considered a success at this point.

I will be looking at:

1. the interior Oline. With Monty @ Center, I will look to see if how the interior is being protected on pass plays.

2. The entire Dline. We had problems last yr in run defense. I would like to see if there are any improvements from that stand point. Hopefully Bowen, Cofield, and Carriker see at least one series.

3. the Running Backs: We already know that Torain will be deactivated with the injury. Behind him the RB position will be WIDE open. I will like to see who steps up. (I'm secretly rooting for Helu) :)

4. Place Kicker: Gano is a nice guy, but he was underwhelming last year to say the least. Now that they've brought in a legit Kicker in S. Graham, i think Gano's status will be in trouble if he doesn't get his act together fast.

O line play. I want to see if the oline to open some holes and if they can provide a 4-5 seconds for our qb to settle in and find a receiver against a really good and aggressive D. The biggest question is how the o-line and the d as a whole improves

In this order:

1. Everyone gets out healthy, no critical injuries

2. Beck to step up and silence the critic within me, show me why after months of me going back and forth with DG and others just how wrong I was about Beck please. Its put up or shut it up time

3. Rookies to make an impact. Show me why you were drafted and why you deserve to be on the 53 man roster

I'll be watching the battle at WR closely. Right now I'm thinking it'll be Moss, Stallworth, Gaffney, Hankerson, Banks. Out of Kelly, Paul, Robinson, and Austin, I'm thinking one of the 3 other than Kelly make the PS and the rest get cut. Closely related to the WR battle is the KR/PR battle, which I'll also be watching. Does Banks still have it? How are these new guys?

QB obviously, like everyone else, I'm skeptical about Beck and cautiously optimistic that Grossman can build on his late 2010 performance.

At RB, it will be interesting to see what we do with Keiland, Sellers, and the guys battling for the #2 tailback position.

I see nothing in Davis personally DH. The only RB that showed anything last season other than Torain was Keiland Williams and even that was nothing to write home about. I don't see James Davis making it, but we'll see.

I don't we've seen enough of JD to determine if he's impressive or not. I look for him to make or break himself this pre-season. I wish him the best of luck, because the better he does, the better the team will do. Having 3, maybe 4 very capable running backs can sure take pressure off of Grossman / Beck. Just based on their college experience, I think Helu and James Davis could be great assets to the team.

Archived