Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Rob Ryan assumes blame for performance of Dallas defense in scrimmage

Califan007

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/07/rob-ryan-assumes-blame-for-performance-of-dallas-defense-in-scrimmage/

New Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan has promised to “beat [the] asses” of the “all-hype team” in Philly. Along the way, the Cowboys defense apparently has gotten its ass beaten by the offense of another “all-hype team.”

Specifically, the Dallas “D” was shredded by the offense in a Blue-White intrasquad scrimmage at the Alamodome in San Antontio, the site of the team’s training camp.

“We don’t like giving up points,” Ryan said, according to Charean Williams of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “Sometimes it happens. That is the way it is. But put it on me. I dusted off a couple of calls we hadn’t worked on. Put it me its my fault. The players will be fine.”

Quarterback Tony Romo sits to pee completed 14 of 20 passes for 150 yards against the starting defense, with touchdown passes to receiver Dez Bryant, tight end Jason Witten, and running back Lonyae Miller.

Per Williams, the performance included wide-open receivers, multiple time outs in a goal-line situation due to miscommunication, and no pressure on Romo sits to pee.

Well this comes to no surprise. If you look at Rob Ryans defensive rankings since 2004 when he was the Defensive Coordinator for the Oakland Raiders and Cleveland Browns you will that he had his defense at #3 overall in 2006 but every other year his defense was in the bottom half of the league with the highest ranking of 22 in 2007 and 2010. So why wouldn't anyone be surprised by his teams poor play. He may be the son of Buddy Ryan and the brother of Rex but he didn't inherit any of their defensive knowledge of building successful defenses. The Cowboy defense is going to be fun to play against especially with Rob in charge.

regardless of talent or scheme or anything else Ryan is involved in....the dude is FAT.......i am shocked at how fat he is and how ginormous his belly is...........it actually sickens me and I have no idea how any football player can listen to him and that fat belly. Football players for the most part work their tails off to be in great shape, how the hell do the y take direction from that man????

Also.........He is the exact opposite of the kind of coach I am and the kind of coach i like to be and like to have coaching my fav teams. He talks entirely too damn much and pouts a bulls-eye clearly on that fat ass of his.

Im not happy today........not at all, nor am i happy about RobRyan and his constant jabbering of the lips! And it appears to annoy His boss and head coach Jason Garrett, someone who does not like to talk.

regardless of talent or scheme or anything else Ryan is involved in....the dude is FAT.......i am shocked at how fat he is and how ginormous his belly is...........it actually sickens me and I have no idea how any football player can listen to him and that fat belly. Football players for the most part work their tails off to be in great shape, how the hell do the y take direction from that man????

Also.........He is the exact opposite of the kind of coach I am and the kind of coach i like to be and like to have coaching my fav teams. He talks entirely too damn much and pouts a bulls-eye clearly on that fat ass of his.

Im not happy today........not at all, nor am i happy about RobRyan and his constant jabbering of the lips! And it appears to annoy His boss and head coach Jason Garrett, someone who does not like to talk.

All that matters is we win come Sunday. If we start losing, i'll hate him. If we are winning, I am happy. Simple as that lol

Rob Ryan has a look that just irritates rival fans lol :ols:...however, his look will be fantastic to look at if the Cowboys' defense shows little improvement. :D

All that matters is we win come Sunday. If we start losing, i'll hate him. If we are winning, I am happy. Simple as that lol

Pretty much to the point lol :yes:...

Considering his career record as a coordinator is 48-98 (30-82 in the NFL) you might want to temper your expectations.

It will be interesting to see as the season goes along if this trend continues and how soon the we should've kept Wade chants start.

I honestly think Wade is one of the best D Coordinators in the game, but he obviously wasn't a great head coach. It's the same thing with Norv.

Rex has been able to back up his unbelievable amount of trash talk over the years, but I don't know if Rob can do the same with Dallas' players.

I will say this, as much as I can't stand the Eagles, it would absolutely make my week if they show up and just go flat out Pearl Harbor on their secondary.

Funny how easy Cowboys fans turned on Wade the D coordinator and welcomed Ryan. They're one year removed from a top ten D courtesy of Wade and they seem to think that Wade lost the D the very next season? Sounds like a D full of quitters to me. Remember when Parcells left and Wade came in? Cowboys fans were happy because Wade was aggressive as opposed to Parcell's passive 3-4 D. How he'd turn that D into one of the best? And it turns out he did. Now all of a sudden Wade is chopped liver. Predictable. Ryan is welcomed with open arms even though he has zero history to back up the optimism? That secondary is gonna be annihilated this season. It's gonna be fun to watch.

The defense last year had obviously given up on Wade given that they played better after he was fired and the Cowboys were forced to promote a LB coach to DC. Much of the optimism over Ryan comes from the defensive game plans he put together against the Saints and the Patriots last year with minimal talent in Cleveland. He made two of the best QBs in the NFL look confused and foolish. I'm unsure Dallas players will be smart enough to execute for him, but he has shown flashes of pure football genius. He's also never had a player of Ware's caliber before, it'll be interesting what favorable match-ups he can create there.

The defense last year had obviously given up on Wade given that they played better after he was fired and the Cowboys were forced to promote a LB coach to DC. Much of the optimism over Ryan comes from the defensive game plans he put together against the Saints and the Patriots last year with minimal talent in Cleveland. He made two of the best QBs in the NFL look confused and foolish. I'm unsure Dallas players will be smart enough to execute for him, but he has shown flashes of pure football genius. He's also never had a player of Ware's caliber before, it'll be interesting what favorable match-ups he can create there.

So you're hanging your hat on two games where two really good teams probably just overlooked the Browns and their QB's still threw for a combined near 600 yards and 4 TD's? And the fact that your D just quit on a coach doesn't speak too highly of their heart. It tells me when the going gets tough, they'd rather just throw in the towel. And playing for your job because a HC change just happened isn't uncommon. I suspect if your team starts slow again that we can expect your D to just pack it in again. In fact with that terrible secondary, one that that even Rex Grossman took apart last year, a slow start is more probable than a fast one.. One year older and no upgrades. A DC who may have a good game or two here or there, but a very undwhelming resume' and sees no problem in calling out other teams five minutes after the start of TC thereby marking his team's D with a nice bullseye. Good luck with that.

They get Plax, Santonio, LT, and Shonn Greene in week one. Never thought I would say this, but I hope the Jets blow them out. The best part is the Jets beat Ryan's defense the week after they beat New England. New defense vs an offense experienced against that DC won't be good things for the Cowboys.

So you're hanging your hat on two games where two really good teams probably just overlooked the Browns and their QB's still threw for a combined near 600 yards and 4 TD's? And the fact that your D just quit on a coach doesn't speak too highly of their heart. It tells me when the going gets tough, they'd rather just throw in the towel. And playing for your job because a HC change just happened isn't uncommon. I suspect if your team starts slow again that we can expect your D to just pack it in again. In fact with that terrible secondary, one that that even Rex Grossman took apart last year, a slow start is more probable than a fast one.. One year older and no upgrades. A DC who may have a good game or two here or there, but a very undwhelming resume' and sees no problem in calling out other teams five minutes after the start of TC thereby marking his team's D with a nice bullseye. Good luck with that.

I am very suspect of the Cowboys D, I'm just explaining why there is hope and what the talk is about. As for the performances of Brady and Brees, they also had 4int and a fumble to go along with those near 600 yards.Most of what I'm actually hopeful about is the fact that they were so very good in 2009 with 10 of the 11 starters they have now, also week after week we'd hear opposing offenses say they knew exactly what Dallas was doing on almost every play, making them easy to beat. I would of loved to of picked up Nnamdi but if Dallas had beaten the Eagles' offer by enough for Nnamdi to go to Dallas they might of lost Free to the Eagles instead.

I keep hearing all these analysts talking about how the cowboys are better this year...but from what I can tell their defense has actually gotten worse and their offense is pretty much the same with a questionable running game. Felix Jones has always been hit or miss if he can even stay healthy, I like Murray but he hasn't proven a thing and Choice can't seem to crack the lineup consistently despite being their best all around back. Taking steps backwards in my opinion. Plus relying on Romo sits to pee to win a big game is always against them.

Archived