Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cult of Clemens

Jumbo

Due to popular demand and semi-inspired by NYJfan's thread. Let's see if this has any legs. Maybe start with people posting any interesting data/articles they find on what may be the newest man-crush of Redskins nation. :helmet:

I did give general credit :ols:--I had a PM on it, and it was suggested by Edwardpena69 in the other thread, and another ES'er passed the thought yesterday. You feeling needy or something? :pfft:

Tomorrow afternoon I'll talk to a football fan buddy who's been teaching at Clemen's alma mater for years, so I will grill him. Here's Clemens write-up on his UofO days from wiki:

Clemens played college football at the University of Oregon. He assumed the role of starting QB in all 13 games in 2003 and responded by throwing for more TD passes and yards than any sophomore in school history, surpassing Dan Fouts--who had 16 TDs and 2,390 yards (2,190 m), in 1970. He posted three rushing TD, three passing TD and a career-best 437 passing yards in a road victory over Washington State as a junior. He was a senior during the 2005 season, and was pursuing several school records until he broke his ankle while playing a game at Arizona. He would miss the remaining three games of the season. Still, he finished 2005 with 2,406 passing yards, 19 TDs, only 4 interceptions, and a 152.87 passer efficiency rating. He finished his Oregon career with 7,555 passing yards.

Career stats (25 games, 9 starts): 147-284 (51.8%), 1,686 yards, 5 TDs, 11INTs, 35 sacks QBR: 59.7

^^^^ ewwwwww. lol the QB situation here is pretty scary. No matter where the team has filled in or improved otherwise, the QB play will most likely undermine all of that. Oh well. We shall see.

Oh what the hell, I'll jump on board.

Jumbo's quoted write-up shows that he was a beast his sophomore year. Isn't Oldfan's method to predict quarterback success in the NFL based on a quarterback's performance his sophomore year?

Nah I think that was ASFs stats based model to predict NFL success based on College production. Or something. He was touting Greg McElroy as a QB we should draft as I recall based on his model and half of ES got sucked into a thread on the subject. At least this is a thread on a QB we have I guess.

Nah I think that was ASFs stats based model to predict NFL success based on College production. Or something. He was touting Greg McElroy as a QB we should draft as I recall based on his model and half of ES got sucked into a thread on the subject. At least this is a thread on a QB we have I guess.

Yes, you're right, it was ASF. I get them all confused. :)

One thing I'll give Kellen Clemens...I actually saw him show an occasional shred of competency, in a real game, with the Jets, so I can at least understand this thread.

As opposed to the 1,000 page one devoted to a QB who looked good in a pre-season game and had one of the worst throwing motions I've ever seen. As far as I'm concerned, that thread was a stain on this board.

During one of the threads someone, believe it was a media person, said Clemens, unlike Beck and Rex, can make all the throws.

Well, that is step one. Step two is quickly reading NFL defenses and finding the open player consistently. Third is accuracy. I will give him the benefit of the doubt on reading defenses until he sees time during the preseason. 51.8% in 25 NFL games is not encouraging. That said, I hope the coaching staff give him a chance to show he can play in this offense. Going to be difficult as the number 3.

Archived