Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Skins sign Steelers Special Teams Captain Keyaron Fox

Veretax

Pretty good write up from a Steelers site......

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/3/28/2075676/pittsburgh-steelers-2011-free-agent-analysis-keyaron-fox

Pittsburgh Steelers 2011 Free Agent Analysis: Keyaron Fox

Fox's primary responsibilities though came as the captain of the special teams last season. Unfortunately, his costly penalties overshadowed his otherwise stout play in the third phase of the game. Fox was penalized seven times on ST plays, three of which came during the team's playoff run to the Super Bowl. I don't need to remind you about the last of his infractions -- a costly personal foul penalty that pushed Ben Roethlisberger and the offense back on the game's final, unsuccessful drive.

Prior to this past season, Fox had shown no history really of being a hothead, so it came as somewhat of a surprise to see him lose his cool and rack up the undisciplined penalties. Did he show his true colors last year or was his behavior more of an outlier that he can easily get control over in the future? I'm inclined to the think the later, though we may not get to find out how he adjusts with the Steelers.

What I'd do: Most people believe Fox has played his final snaps in the black and gold. I'm not one of them. If you look at the Steelers depth chart at inside linebacker, it doesn't make much sense to let Fox go. James Farrior will be 35 during the '11 season, and though Potsie had a very nice bounce-back season a year ago, it would be foolish to not have a solid, proven insurance option behind him in the event that he finally hits the wall physically

---------- Post added August-7th-2011 at 01:09 PM ----------

Well it looks as though someone else was snooping around on Fox as well.

The more I read about Fox, the better I feel about the signing. Being a special teams captain tells me the Steelers respected his leadership and skills on special teams. ProFootballFocus grades him as an average to above average ILB on his limited snaps in 2010 and 2009. BUT that is way better than Rocky's grade. And he made some big plays in the three games he started. Spanos coached the guy for two years in Pittsburgh, so he has inside info on how he would fit here in DC. He knows our 3-4 system for the most part since our system is a copy of the Steeler defense.

The only negative were the costly penalties last year on special teams. Something he never did before. Since he did not show this tendency in the previous 6 years with the Steelers or Chiefs, I think we should assume it was an aberrancy or can be coached out of him.

I consider this a very good pickup and better than signing Tatupu who was badly injured and not a good fit for this defense....and older.

---------- Post added August-7th-2011 at 01:42 PM ----------

It just wasn't lost on me that one group is apparently pretty non-perturbed by losing their teams captain of the last two years; whilst many here are lording it as a great pick-up.

One suspects the true worth of the guy lies somewhere in-between.

Hail.

The difference is that the Steelers are perennial Super Bowl contenders while our team is a perennial bottom dwelling team. Castoffs from a team like the Steelers are far better than what we have on our team. Besides, the Steelers are deep in ILB.

The more I read about Fox, the better I feel about the signing. Being a special teams captain tells me the Steelers respected his leadership and skills on special teams. ProFootballFocus grades him as an average to above average ILB on his limited snaps in 2010 and 2009. BUT that is way better than Rocky's grade. And he made some big plays in the three games he started. Spanos coached the guy for two years in Pittsburgh, so he has inside info on how he would fit here in DC. He knows our 3-4 system for the most part since our system is a copy of the Steeler defense.

The only negative were the costly penalties last year on special teams. Something he never did before. Since he did not show this tendency in the previous 6 years with the Steelers or Chiefs, I think we should assume it was an aberrancy or can be coached out of him.

I consider this a very good pickup and better than signing Tatupu who was badly injured and not a good fit for this defense....and older.

---------- Post added August-7th-2011 at 01:42 PM ----------

The difference is that the Steelers are perennial Super Bowl contenders while our team is a perennial bottom dwelling team. Castoffs from a team like the Steelers are far better than what we have on our team. Besides, the Steelers are deep in ILB.

Tatupu isn't older than Fox or Rocky. In fact, Fox is older than both, and Tatupu was born on the same exact day as Rocky McIntosh was, they're both 28. Why are people acting like Lofa is some old guy?

Tatupu isn't older than Fox or Rocky. In fact, Fox is older than both, and Tatupu was born on the same exact day as Rocky McIntosh was, they're both 28. Why are people acting like Lofa is some old guy?

Probably because Lofa is 28 but some people think his knees might be in their 40's. I like what Lofa did early on. He was never the most athletic guy. He relied on strength and football knowledge and instincts.

It all comes down to the status of the knees. No matter what Lofa would be a risky pickup. Because he might be able to show his mobility in practice but we would have no idea if his knees could hold up over a season wear and tear of tackling and taking on fullbacks and linemen.

Exactly. Plus in this particular case you're talking about probably the very best 3-4 linebacking corps in the league. On the other hand, we are piecing together our first 3-4 corps using a bunch of 4-3 players. So I have no doubt that a backup Steeler LB could come here and be a starter and upgrade our defense.

Another very pertinent point I wouldn't wholly argue against. I most certainly hope that fan opinion when it comes to player personnel plays little to no part in a coaches opinion.

It just wasn't lost on me that one group is apparently pretty non-perturbed by losing their teams captain of the last two years; whilst many here are lording it as a great pick-up.

One suspects the true worth of the guy lies somewhere in-between.

Hail.

When we let Khary Campbell go, don't recall an outcry. If HB Blades left I doubt the board, would be going nuts. Special teams unless you are talking returners IMO aren't sexy from a fan view point, so I wouldn't expect an outcry from the Steelers fans.

---------- Post added August-7th-2011 at 03:44 PM ----------

Exactly. Plus in this particular case you're talking about probably the very best 3-4 linebacking corps in the league. On the other hand, we are piecing together our first 3-4 corps using a bunch of 4-3 players. So I have no doubt that a backup Steeler LB could come here and be a starter and upgrade our defense.

Also, I think its misleading when those say the Steelers don't let good players go. Burress, H. Ward for example where great after leaving. Joey Porter has faded now but had a monster year with the Dolphins after leaving.

Give me a freakin' break. Tatupu is three WHOLE months younger than Fox. OK...I was wrong....feel better? He's got two surgically repaired knees equal to a 50 year old. Try addressing all the other reasons why Fox is a better fit than Tatupu than the last two words in the analysis.

Give me a freakin' break. Tatupu is three WHOLE months younger than Fox. OK...I was wrong....feel better? He's got two surgically repaired knees equal to a 50 year old. Try addressing all the other reasons why Fox is a better fit than Tatupu than the last two words in the analysis.

Woah, wait a damn minute. First of all, I never said Fox wasn't a fantastic signing. Second of all, I never bothered replying to you trying to get into a debate. I posted what I did to clear the air because Lofa isn't some ancient vet like some people have treating him. Hes the same age as Rocky McIntosh. If hes healthy, he would also be a good signing. I never claimed Fox wouldn't be as good as Tatupu, so back off on all that.

When we let Khary Campbell go, don't recall an outcry. If HB Blades left I doubt the board, would be going nuts. Special teams unless you are talking returners IMO aren't sexy from a fan view point, so I wouldn't expect an outcry from the Steelers fans.

---------- Post added August-7th-2011 at 03:44 PM ----------

Also, I think its misleading when those say the Steelers don't let good players go. Burress, H. Ward for example where great after leaving. Joey Porter has faded now but had a monster year with the Dolphins after leaving.

When did Hines Ward ever leave the Steelers?

Like this pick-up. Frankly, I wish we had cut Rocky McIntosh. He has done much of anything lately.

Like the fact he is a specials team captain, and that's invaluable.

Hear lots of noise about Brandon Banks. He is a gone. Unfortunately, his size, and the new kick off rules hurt him. Add to this, that he is a piss poor WR ... makes the decision a no brainer.

He will be in the mix at ILB how could he not be coming from that system. Fox, Alexander and maybe Sellers on ST equals solid tackles. He had some bad moments that hurt the teams field position but that could happen to the best of them on any given play. IMO this is a solid signing, a guy who has the size, pedigree and comes from the thirty four so the learning curve isn't steep. Win-win... Hail

my bad, meant S. Holmes

You're definately right, those are solid players who've gone elsewhere and played well.

Hopefully he can contribute. I just have to immediately feel great about this signing because Lou Spanos has the inside read on Fox, and as it's been said, the Steelers aren't exactly shallow at linebacker. I look forward to this defense maturing on the field.

I just see this being one of those years where we are the team that loses a lot of games 17 to 6, which, after we get a franchise quarterback and continue to add depth everywhere, will be a pretty good defense indeed.

The fact that Tatupu is a name we have all heard before does not make him better than Fox. I again state that the true test is how well this team scouted players, and that won't be revealed until this season is played out. I think Fox was a great signing with a huge upside, I would be surprised considering our coach of LBers was his coach at Pitt.s that he would not be starting when all is said and done. Everyone of us knew we needed some more competition next to London.

I see what you were talking about with age though. I think the surgeries did indeed play into it. Hopefully the FO is making the right calls.

Bottom Line....Steelers know Linebackers. I am a resident of Baltimore and find myself rooting for the Steelers often to piss off my Raven friends. From what I remember watching this guy play, he is a quality ILB and should be a big help to our LB depth. Even if this guy doesn't start, he brings a knowledge of the 3-4 scheme with him. Plus he is a guy that contribute on Spec Teams (lets just hope we don't see any penalties like the one he had in the Super Bowl).

lol, I had no idea Tatupu was that young. Goes to show how listening to the ES crowd can be detrimental to your perception of reality... my God, I thought he was like 35 from the way everyone talks about him!

What was that running backs name from two preseasons ago who we traded to the Ravens? You know, the really speedy guy who blew away second half preseason defenses, and we were gonna riot if he didn't make the first squad?

Anthony Albright?

I do not know if it has been mentioned, but apparently Fox has a connection with Redskins LBs coach Lou Spanos.

This from redskins.com

Fox is reunited with Lou Spanos, his Pittsburgh linebackers coach from Pittsburgh [sic].

“Lou made it easy for me,” Fox said about his decision to join the Redskins. “He helped coach me up and learn the defense when I was coming in over there [in Pittsburgh]. So, he had a good evaluation of what I could do with my talents and knew where I would fit in.”

Fox hopes his connection with Spanos, in his second season coaching the Redskins’ linebacker, can help him get up to speed.

“It’s a similar scheme from where I came from,” Fox said. “I’m familiar with what’s going on, so I feel like it will be an easy transition coming with a short offseason and getting into camp late.”

He looks to be another one of those "good fit" guys. I'll take it.

Archived