Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

That 70s Thread

Califan007

Ok, you know the routine...start posting things about the 1970's that you hate to admit you loved, songs you hate to admit you owned, groups you hate to admit you followed, clothes you hate to admit you wore...or post things form the 70s that you love to admit you loved lol..either/or...

I'll start...ready?..here we go..

* Heatwave...LOVED this group..."Boogie Nights", "Always and Forever", "The Grooveline"...I thought they were the funkiest **** around for about 2 years or so.

* Top 50 Bachelor issues of Ebony magazine lol...those pics cracked me up back then, and do even more now when I'm able to stumble upon an issue...guys leanin' up against their Monte Carlo with big-ass fro's, thick sideburns, and collars so wide that a wind gust would make them airborne...

* George Allen...I loved seeing him on the sidelines of Redskins games, energetic, intense...and then that ridiculously sly smile he would thrown down with ease :yes:...

* ELO...I admit it, I was also a big ELO fan..."Turn To Stone" was my jam for about 2 years...I thought Jeff Lynn was a musical master, and I still get a rise out of hearing "Living Thing"...when that came at the end of the movie "Boogie Nights", I thought it made the perfect ending to an almost perfect movie.

*"Seasons In The Sun" lol..don't remember at all who sang this tripe, but at the time I thought it was just a beautiful song...what was I, 8 or so??...what did I know..:ols:

* Who sang that one song that went "The child is black/the child is white", blah, blah, whatever whatever??...."the word is black/the page is white", or some ****...help me out here...but used to like that one, too...

* Anything by Bill Withers...

*"Round In Circles", by Billy Preston...was addicted to that one as well...

* Every damn thing Stevie Wonder put out, I bowed down in worship to...especially "You Haven't Done Nothin'"...funky as hell.

* Isis, Electra Woman, and Dyna Girl lol :cool:...they all caught the attention of my burgeoning horemones back then...

Isis because of her legs and ridiculously short dress *drool*...

Isis010.jpg

EW and DG because they wore form-fitting body suits lol :ols:...

01644_super.jpg

Big Wheels :thumbsup:

bigwheel.jpg

It was like the Camaro of kids toys lol...hated how the front wheel would start desintigrating and falling apart in little black pieces, though.

Anyone else?...

ABBA. I liked ELO as well.

Seasons in the Sun was by Terry Jacks BTW. I fell for most of those one hit wonders.

How about Ray Stevens,

?

I'm not posting pictures of myself in the seventies although I had some fabulously ugly green and red Toughskins as well as hideously striped shirts with zipper tops. Oh, and a nice bowl haircut. :) You get the general idea with some of these pictures from the 1977 JC Penney Catalog

I didn't get the handheld Coleco football game I wanted, I got the crappy auto racing one instead:

Auto-Race.jpg

Cali, that one song you mentions sounds like Cat Stevens, but I'd have to check.

Edit: It was Three Dog Night.

Yep, thank you lol :yes:...

The ink is black

The page is white

Together we learn to read and write

The child is black

The child is white

The whole world looks upon the sight

The beautiful sight

What about Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley on ABC? Didn't Three's Company start in the 70s too? Man, what cheesy comedies.

You could probably have a thread with old timers just focused on the Skins alone during that timeframe. I was too young to have experienced the '72 Super Bowl season but remember things from 1973 on. The Giants and Eagles sucked during the early-to-mid 70s, and the Cowboys, Cardinals, and Skins were good. Unfortunately, we wound up having to go on the road in the playoffs, and would fall short against the Vikings and Rams.

I actually liked quite a few shirt styles back then - not the pants though.

I loved the music: disco and motown - still do.

I loved TV back then and could not get enough. I easily spent 6 hours a day watching sitcoms, game shows.

I remember the TV series Cliffhangers too for some reason. I liked watching The Curse of Dracula with my family in the evening.

Those were all great movies. Does anyone remember The Wiz with Michael Jackson, Diana Ross, Richard Pryor and Nipsy Russell? Blazing Saddles came out that decade and it's still one of my favorites. ( MONGO LIKE CANDY)

I remember that's when we first got cable TV ( no remotes back then, you had to go up and change it on the box)

Star Wars came out and I must have watched it a hundred times. We had the old style GI Joe, not the little tiny action figure but one the size of Barbie and Ken.

WKRP in Cincinatti, All in the Family, Six Million Dollar man and Charlies Angels were all good show.

It's kind of nostalgic really.

The hair. Feathered or Farrah Flipped.. everyone either had a comb in their back pocket or their hand.

Designer jeans on the girls skin tight, but waistlines way up high. Guys too, for that matter. I know I wore jeans that didn't leave much guesswork as to what I had. Girls walking around with camel toes so pronounced you could tell when they grew a new hair.

Girls in tube tops were pretty awesome, I must say.

Muscle cars and mag wheels were big, as were vans with giant murals painted on them.

A guy I knew when I was a kid painted those vans up behind the apartments I lived in in Forestville. He was a pretty cool dude. Painted some awesome stuff,, lots of frazetta art on vans that you saw in the DC area came from him. Phil Jones was his name, as I recall, we called him Big Phil.

Arcades. Pocketfull of quarters and you could play PINBALL all afternoon. Pre-Space Invaders.

Speaking of which, I remember pinball, with FIVE balls and needing a reasonable score to pop. We played pinball religiously. A friend and I figured out the match pattern on a machine at Parkland Bowling alley in district Heights and would go up there with a couple quarters, and then tilt it on the last ball when we had the right combo.. pop! free game. Play all damn day on 50 cents or so.

Slurpee cups with baseball players on them.

Zodiac signs.. people actually gave a crap about that stuff like it was cool.

Pendants.. either zodiac signs or italian horns.. you had to wear one to set off your attempt at perfectly feathered hair and open collar.

I wore an ankh.

I was too big when Big Wheel came out,, which sucked because it looked awesome.

~Bang

"Chevy Van", by...some guy, I dunno lol..."And like a picture she was laying there/Moonlight dancing on her hair/She woke up and took me by the hand/We made love in my Chevy van/And that's alright with me..."

"Brandy", by...some other guy..."Brandy/You're a fine girl/What a good wife you will be/But my life, my love and my lady/Is the sea...(do, do, dooo, do, do, doop do do!!)"

*EW and DG because they wore form-fitting body suits lol :ols:...

01644_super.jpg

Wow, I forgot about EW and DG

Oh, and I LOVED 70s disaster movies lol..

The Poseiden Adventure

Towering Inferno

Earthquake (with the rumbling seats to make it feel like you were actually in an earthquake :ols: )

Don't forget about all the Airport/Airplane disaster movies.

Pendants.. either zodiac signs or italian horns.. you had to wear one to set off your attempt at perfectly feathered hair and open collar.

I wore an ankh.

I was too big when Big Wheel came out,, which sucked because it looked awesome.

~Bang

Don't forget about ID bracelets. I had the Italian Horn. I wanted a Big Wheel so bad. My parents never bought be one and I still give them hell to this day about it.

Chevy Van was the Eagles, and Brandy was The Association (I think)

~Bang

Chevy Van wasn't by the Eagles...not sure who did it, but it wasn't the Eagles lol.

---------- Post added August-5th-2011 at 04:28 PM ----------

Every 12 year old boy in the 70s pretended to be this guy at least once while riding a bike over a hand-made ramp :ols:...

evel_knievel_01.jpg

"Brandy", by...some other guy..."Brandy/You're a fine girl/What a good wife you will be/But my life, my love and my lady/Is the sea...(do, do, dooo, do, do, doop do do!!)"

Just an FYI, my Dad raised me on "oldies" music and I used to have almost everything about the 60's and early 70's memorized. Brandy was written performed by a one-hit wonder band called Looking Glass. I did have to look up the year, it was 1972.

Anyway, I was born in late December of '79, so I was really more of a child of the 80's, but I've seen pictures of my father, and they make me shudder.

The way too high fat stripe tube socks...

100540_tubesocks.jpg

The way too short shorts

The ruffled shirts...I haven't burned the pictures because they're my father, but I hide them away.

Also, there's a particular style of house that just screams "70's" to me, but I don't know what it's called, or even if it's a 70's thing, I just think it is. If I knew what it was called, I'd post a picture.

Ah yes the 70's. Bell bottom jeans,(really cool of you had corduroy bell bottom),chokers,and hair,(long), split right down the middle. I remember starting one of these about 6 years ago,but it's cool to refresh things so this will work just fine. that and I included the 60's. :) However,I'll said some of what I said there,(too tired and lazy to think too much. ;) ).

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?94950-Okay.-So.-What-about-the-60-s-and-the-70-s

"The Electric companyyyyyyyyy"

Barbie was Barbie and Ken was Ken.

GI Joe with hair and the kung fu grip

Leisure suits

Terrycloth shirts

You know what a turntable was/is. ( Hint. It's not found in your cabinet holdng spices).

You know that 45's were not always sold at gunshops.

mono/stereo

You know the the amount of time it takes to get a 45 perfectly centered on the "turntable" when you lose the 45 "dohickey".

Fuzz on the needle could wreck a good party

Your bike had a 3 speed on the bar, (ouch), a sissy bar and a bannana seat.

To name a few. :)

Apparently Chevy Van was by Sammy Johns.

e1lRulMdB1o

And Morgan Freeman was a member of the Electric Company (here he is with Rita Moreno):

5dAVZ-rT9bY

In the '70s I'd watch shows like Ultraman:

Uc1-p4_rNn0&list=PLACC473AD665AF45D&index=1

And Speed Racer:

vtIu61s2PDo

and Kimba the White Lion:

lQsQqOlPjhs

And let's not forget classics such as H.R. Puf n' Stuf:

obxfuFrUTzg

and Land of the Lost:

qSKIuJWRMaI

If you were really young in the 70s, you loved concepts more than actual things.

For me, I loved Evil Kenevil even though I was not 100 percent sure what he did and I loved Kiss even though I was not allowed to listen to their music. I just loved their outfits.

I did make my parents buy Village People records though.

I liked Ultra Man. I liked going to the drive in. I liked Underoos. I liked my R2D2 t shirt. (It was a great time for unironic t-shirts). My favorite song was Rhinestone Cowboy.

Archived