Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Idea for threads Updating Folks with Tweets

gortiz

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I love the threads just the way they are, besides the badgering about "this is a twitter thread, you have to talk about the tweets in some other thread" kinda stuff.

It's like we're all sitting around reading the morning news together and talking about the day's events.

• 6 months later...

just bringing this up again, not sure if Mods think if it is a good idea. The poll says majority want it.

Tay in the Jsteelz Twitter thread was cool enough to list a bunch of tweets catching us up and it was VERY refereshing to just see, as a poster in this thread stated, "the meat and potatoes."

I'm just gonna throw out there that it REALLY seems these "tweeters" (or whatever the term is) are mainly out to get traffic. I mean, I was reading "You need to link to my twitter" whenever commenting on it. Huh? Don't get it.

And sure, if we need to be "punished" for commenting on the stuff the tweet about, then take it away. It's cool to read but not the end all/be all.

---------- Post added March-8th-2012 at 09:49 AM ----------

I guess radical at the time, last year.

maybe not ...:ols:

Me, too. I was thinking JKC.

Not a bad idea. I'll run it by TK and Jumbo later this afternoon. We have conference call scheduled at 2:00pm.

awesome! I just think you get a lot of "fluff" in threads that are updating twitter feeds. alot of "yeah I agree" posts ...

and, i'm sure i'm not the only one that can't get on twitter at work ...

awesome! I just think you get a lot of "fluff" in threads that are updating twitter feeds. alot of "yeah I agree" posts ...

and, i'm sure i'm not the only one that can't get on twitter at work ...

I lied. I have conference call with my psychiatrist at 2:00pm. But I still like the idea.

:ols:

HOOK

LINE

&

SINKER

:ols:

I was thnking, who in the F is this guy?

Yeah, not sure that they even do conference calls, much less that they'd do one with me. Thanks for being a good sport. Now I'll have something to laugh at through my lunch hour.

I initally was against this, but after seeing the JSteelz thread, I can see the argument of a thread just for posting tweets about a subject, and then there will likely already be another thread topic that covers discussion. It would make tweet threads into an almost 'subset' of news thread.

I said in a twitter thread a few days ago. ES needs a twitter FEED that just runs and updates itself like my tweetdeck does.

That and a mobile ES. Not Opera Mini. A legit mobile site that's just threads and posts. Maybe some pics.

Ideally for a mobile site it would work better if we had people who could code a forums reader for iOS, Android, WindowsPhone, and BB. Then it is an app you can download and view. Many popular forums have this done.

Also, a twitter feed somewhere on the regular page would be awesome.

I initally was against this, but after seeing the JSteelz thread, I can see the argument of a thread just for posting tweets about a subject, and then there will likely already be another thread topic that covers discussion. It would make tweet threads into an almost 'subset' of news thread.

A thread like that could have issues solved if instead of updating the title with the post #, just link in the OP to the post. Then in the title put UPDATED XX/XX/XXXX XX:XX

And sure, if we need to be "punished" for commenting on the stuff the tweet about, then take it away. It's cool to read but not the end all/be all.

If we allowed politics in the stadium, I could make some good jokes on this matter. :pfft:

But one of the (of course) biggest issues is adults (theoretically) simply holding themselves accountable for their chosen behaviors.

If you're not into twitting, don't quote or refer to them or agonize over "what's going on" in the rumor mill.

If you choose to engage, quote your reference whenever possible (like the tweet), just like we always have said to do with any "source" you're using in a post to form or support a comment that isn't just your opinion.

Or just read and don't quote the info. Form what you read in your own words like an actual thought :pfft: on a position and then post your opinion on that thought, leaving referring to some source completely out.

This is not rocket surgery.

Nor is it rocket science or brain surgery.

You are about as quick as a legless tortoise. :)

---------- Post added March-8th-2012 at 09:06 AM ----------

BTW- The tweet/no banter idea is a good one, but I'll let you make the final decision on this one.

As a guy with nine user notes, I'd suggest you practice drawing less staff attention to yourself. ;)

Jumbo,

That was very well point. Twitter should be treated like any news source and cited, although IMO you don't have to link back to twitter if the users twitter handle is included. That seems a bit redundant to me. However, like wikipedia I put a lot of salt in anything I digest from twitter. It's not necessarily a 'vetted' source until there is significant corroboration through other means IMO.

I think we should have both. One thread, stickied at the top ... with all twitter action. Other threads continue as is, with discussion. So if someone is just looking for news they can get to it, and if someone is looking to voice their opinion that no one else would care about, they can do that too.

Archived