Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Idea for threads Updating Folks with Tweets

gortiz

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Okay, just had a meeting with our IT department about website stuff, social media, electronic communications, etc. etc. ( I work for a local government in the NOVA area).

One thing we spoke a lot about was twitter and as I was totally thinking about the Skins during the powerpoint I got an ideal of sorts ...

But, first let me say, I think, the folks that update us with tweets are invaluable and major contributors to this great site, but when we fill up their threads with opinions, posts that simply just say "this" or with anythign that is not a tweet, I think we are watering down all the effort they put into keeping us updated. I know some good spirited back and forth can come out of these threads, not denying that, but ...

there are plenty other threads to voice an opinion and some of us can't access twitter at work to get this awesome up to the minute info ...

Would twitter threads be better if they only contained tweets? (not sure if i'm using the verbage correclty)

what say you? (yes, you are allowed to comment in this thread :pfft:)

i like it. It'd make it a lot easier when Im trying to stay up to date from my iPhone and not having to sift through pages of chatter for the latest tweet

yeah, i mean, i'm not on twitter, but i can imagine they limit what you can write on there so you can get your info quick ... however, i know that ES is not twitter, so I can kind of see both sides of the coin.

Defeats the purpose IMO.

All that will happen is two threads will appear. One with just tweets and one that we have now. That seems like a lot of work for people providing tweets. I assisted during the beginning of FA, so I know how hard it is.

I think people just need to join twitter and follow who we follow. To me that makes the most sense. You can check twitter on your phone as well.

i think some comments would be OK, but i think it would almost be a all/none situation. will say that when i come back to the thread and hit last page to get up to date and its a few people arguing on whether to keep Cooley or not, that should definitely not be there, not the place for it.

i follow almost everyone that gets posted in these threads though, so i get most of it on my own, but it is nice to come and read them all together sometimes.

Defeats the purpose IMO.

All that will happen is two threads will appear. One with just tweets and one that we have now. That seems like a lot of work for people providing tweets. I assisted during the beginning of FA, so I know how hard it is.

I think people just need to join twitter and follow who we follow. To me that makes the most sense. You can check twitter on your phone as well.

well, i guess i'm thinking if you are gonna have a thread with tweets, it can be a unwritten policy, or an official one, that states you only update the thread with tweets.

i mean, i think in one training camp twitter thread, more than 75% of the comments could have gone into other threads and it was real tough to find the "meat" of the thread.

i think it would be great to open up a twitter thread and GET NOTHING but tweets. i really do appreciate everyone's opinion, well almost everyone! but there is certainly a time and place (e.g. other threads) for them.

I voted for twits only on twitter threads but I don't have an issue with making comments on practice twits AFTER the practice is over for the twitter threads just about practice. Commenting on twits and most questions (many have already been answered and a lot of the others have not been answered because no real updates are available) defeat the purpose.

I don't mind when people respond to the topics being posted for what they are. Example:

John Doe Tweets: "Grossman working with the 1st team in today's drills"

an acceptable response should be something like "that's great, I like Grossman as our front man"

an unacceptable response is "John Doe and the guy who posted his tweet are wack jobs who don't know diddly squat"

I voted for twits only on twitter threads but I don't have an issue with making comments on practice twits AFTER the practice is over for the twitter threads just about practice.

great suggestion Tater,

I'm still a hardliner tweet only guy, but this could be a compromise?

I think we should have a policy that bans posting your opinion in the twitter feed. If someone has a question/clarification about the information that comes out on twitter it should be in the twitter thread. However, if someone wants to inject their opinion on what happened, they should do it in another thread.

For instance, say JLC tweets "John Beck likes ham sandwiches in the off season, Sexy Rexy likes hot dogs with gravy and fudge on top".

An acceptable comment or question would be, "Has any info come out about whether or not Beck likes cheese on his sandwich?".

An unacceptable comment would be, "Ham sandwiches are STUPID, Beck will never succeed with that diet!!! He needs to have a more haynesworthian diet, just like Rex".

Defeats the purpose IMO.

All that will happen is two threads will appear.

But that's not necessarily a bad thing. We could have one "Official FA Twitter Thread" That's stickied and only mods like TK or insiders like Jsteelz could post it. It would be one thread that could have just the necessary info (Redskins signed X, updated-signed for X years at $X million"

Then, you can have the "Official FA Twitter Reaction Thread" where people can post the same tweet 50 times and say "Yeah well, X on twitter is an idiot" and you can vent and pop off like it's a gameday thread.

Personally, I think that would help clear up the board a little bit, or at least make tweets from guys like TK easier to find and easier to read.

I like the idea of having a tweets-only thread but it does kind of defeat the purpose of a message board. Although there could be a sticky twitter thread at the top that could only be updated by the handful of twitter guys and a separate thread for user commentary?

I know the twitter threads can derail sometimes, but disabling comments doesn't seem appropriate to me. I think of these threads more like gameday threads than news posts, so I don't see why fans shouldn't be allowed to comment on the action coming out of training camp.

I think any efforts to reign in the comments on these threads should come from the mods, be they temporary bans or warnings or what have you. The twitter threads are a really awesome source of info for people who can't be at camp, and there's no reason to think that we can't all discuss these updates with the usual redskins fan enthusiasm.

The twitter threads are a really awesome source of info for people who can't be at camp.

here's the thing ...they start off awesome, but if you catch them at the end of the day you have to sift through a lot of non-twitter stuff, so in the end, i think they are not as great as they could be ... but they are all we got.

again, i'm not knocking the awesome work Unknown, c4, and all the other ES'ers that post this stuff. you guys help make this site what it is ...

i just think if they were void of the arguments, unrelated opinions and just comments/observations all together they would be even better.

how do i get that? is "Skins Radar" what the app is called?

It's called Redskins Radar. It's free in the app store. It has news, player tweets, rosters, schedules, and distance to redskins radio stations. It's free, and awesome.

Archived