Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MSNBC - Public agrees: This is the 'Worst. Congress. Ever.'

@DCGoldPants

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/08/05/7262872-first-thoughts-better-than-expected

*** “Worst. Congress. Ever.”: A couple of weeks ago, congressional scholar Norm Ornstein dubbed this 112th Congress as the “Worst. Congress. Ever.” And after the combative and exhaustive debt debate, it appears the American public agrees with him. Per a brand-new New York Times/CBS poll, 82% now disapprove of Congress’ job, which is a record high in that poll. A CNN poll also had Congress’ disapproval at an all-time high of 84%. Here are more numbers from the NYT/CBS survey: 72% disapproved how congressional Republican handled the debt negotiations, while 66% said that of congressional Dems and 47% said that of Obama; the Tea Party’s fav/unfav is now 20%-40%, compared with 26%-29% back in April; and by a margin of greater than 2-to-1, respondents said creating jobs should be a higher priority than spending cuts. The best news for Obama this entire week? His job approval (48%-47%) remains relatively unchanged. By comparison, however, House Speaker John Boehner’s disapproval rating has sky-rocketed to 57%.

This bit was posted in the 1st read section below the better than expected jobs report.

p.s. Congress sucks. Term limits needed.

Congressional priorities.

1) Oppose Obama

2) Do what's best for America

Anyone who says otherwise is full of ****.

I think you're missing some priorities between 1 and 2. Even for the portions of congress that don't have 1 as a priority.

Why term limits it seems it is the freshmen that are the biggest problem

The Freshmen THIS year, sure. But I believe a bigger issue still is guys like Reid, Boehner, McConnell, Cantor, etc spending decades in Washington. In my head, I would reduce a Senate term to 4 years, up a House term to 4 years and put a 2 term limit on both. That way if you are REALLY good for your people. Then you can spend 16 years in Washington which is long enough. That also means maybe challenging somebody from your own party to switch from one side to the other. Which I believe isn't a bad thing.

Boehner's been there over 20 years. McConnell for over a quarter of a century. Reid a few years longer than that! I'm tired or Washington insiders going home and complaining about Washington insiders ruining the process.

Yeah, to me term limits guarantees that the government will be run by lobbyists, party officials, and congressional staffers.

And IMO, if you think the average Congressman is a completely amoral creature who will do anything for The Party . . .

----------

My thread on our patent law has a link to an article describing "How Congress Corrupted Patent Reform". And the article has a nice section on how lobbyists and Phyllis Schlaffley successfully snookered more than half of the Tea Party into voting with a lobbying group of trial lawyers, against a law designed to prevent frivolous lawsuits.

Yeah, I think that if, every year, half of Congress was made up of people who've never stepped into that Fantasyland before, (and the other half was people who can't run again, and therefore don't have a reputation to protect), that would make things better.

Yeah, to me term limits guarantees that the government will be run by lobbyists, party officials, and congressional staffers.

And IMO, if you think the average Congressman is a completely amoral creature who will do anything for The Party . . .

----------

My thread on our patent law has a link to an article describing "How Congress Corrupted Patent Reform". And the article has a nice section on how lobbyists and Phyllis Schlaffley successfully snookered more than half of the Tea Party into voting with a lobbying group of trial lawyers, against a law designed to prevent frivolous lawsuits.

Yeah, I think that if, every year, half of Congress was made up of people who've never stepped into that Fantasyland before, that would make things better.

See. I knew Larry and could find common ground.

Great post.

Congressional priorities.

1) Oppose Obama

2) Do what's best for America

Anyone who says otherwise is full of ****.

When you do #1, you happen to be doing #2 at the same time. It is nearly impossible to oppose Obama without doing what is in the best interests of the country.

:secret: congress is already run by lobbyists, party officials and congressional staffers.

:secret: congress is already run by lobbyists, party officials and congressional staffers.

But at least there's a chance that occasionally the congressman will have the guts to override them.

Sometimes these folks actually start to think that they're important, on their own.

(Kind of like Glenn Beck did.) :)

http://www.theonion.com/video/obama-debt-ceiling-deal-a-prime-example-of-democra,21083/

Obama: Debt Ceiling Deal A Prime Example Of Democrats And Democrats Sacrificing For The Greater Good

Ben Bernanke drunkenly tells everyone at a local bar how screwed the U.S. economy really is, an area dog's rock bottom is the same as his peak, and Randy Moss quits on football for the final time. It's the week of August 1st, 2011.

When you do #1, you happen to be doing #2 at the same time. It is nearly impossible to oppose Obama without doing what is in the best interests of the country.

Brilliant partisan hack bull****.

But what I really find offensive is your sig.

Barack Hussein Obama

Leader of the "Land that was once free and the home of the slave"

Just WTF is that supposed to mean anyway? Because it sure as hell sounds like racist bull**** to me.

Just an observation. I think you're getting really worked up because you think he's calling Obama a slave. And I don't think he is.

No, it sounds to me like he yearns for the past when white men ran the country and black men were slaves.

No, it sounds to me like he yearns for the past when white men ran the country and black men were slaves.

It's a play on 'land of the free and home of the brave.'

Now it's 'land of the once free' and 'home of the slave.'

Get it?

It's dopey but not racist.

Archived