Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Facebook friend just posted this video of Gov Christie

Larry

y83z552NJaw

I just watched this video. I don't know a single thing about this guy. Literally just googled his name, to find out he Gov of NJ. I have no idea which Party he's with.

But at least for the part of this video I've watched, I like this guy.

I don't know from the video, did Christie appoint this guy?

I don't know a single thing about this guy. Literally just googled his name, to find out he Gov of NJ. I have no idea which Party he's with.

He was actually heavily pressured and favored to run as a GOP 2012 Candidate, but he reiterated he had no interest.

He's gotten a lot of grief for flying to his son's baseball game in a helicoptor, by people wanting to attack for his budget policies.

Also, got a lot of flack for his response to a lady, asking why he sends his kids to a private school, and he replied, "None of your business - I don't ask anything about your kids"

Typical Jersey, "tell it like it is" guy

Was that to convince Larry not to like him, or a way of saying, "Can you believe a Republican is actually saying **** like this ?" :)

Both actually. :)

No. I just happen to know that and Larry said he didn't know.

Other than that, I didn't know a thing about him.

While I'm disgusted at what the national GOP has become, if you lived in NJ and have a lick of common sense, you'd detest the local Democratic party, regardless of your allegiances at the national level.

I'm pretty sure Larry was joking.

Maybe not. :)

Vhristie has made a name for himself by just being outspoken.

People don't really even know what his positions are, just that he is gruff and reminds people of tough New Jersey attitude. He really just a cartoon of himself, because he tries to be outrageous. To me it just seems over the top and stupid.

Saw this video the other day. I doubt I would ever vote for him (if I could) but I definitely have a lot of respect for him. This is all I'd like to see out of Republicans. Stop pandering to bull****. Stop throwing common sense and logic out the window (how sad is it, that that's what it takes to appeal to some of these people?) Just be real, stand up for what's right, explain why your vision of the economy, of this country, etc are the correct ones. Like a freaking adult.

From another Republican--Pete Wehner. Worked in Regan's and both Bush's administrations:

Standing up to Anti-Muslim American Bias

Peter Wehner

08.04.2011 - 1:00 PM

One of the troubling tendencies that has recently arisen among conservatism is an unfair animus toward Muslim Americans. This has found its most disturbing expression in GOP presidential candidate (and Tea Party favorite) Herman Cain, whose anti-Muslim bias runs so deep that it overrides his regard for our Constitution (see here: ) Cain, for example, has declared he would not appoint a Muslim either to his cabinet or as a federal judge and also insisted on a “loyalty proof” for Muslim Americans.

Thankfully, this anti-Muslim strain isn’t dominant within conservatism. But what is discouraging is how few GOP lawmakers and conservative voices have been willing to confront it. Which is why I’m grateful New Jersey Governor Chris Christie spoke out in defense of his appointment of Sohail Mohammed to a state bench.

“Ignorance is behind the criticism of Sohail Mohammed,” Governor Christie told reporters asking him about the complaints that Mohammed defended Muslim Americans who were wrongly arrested in the aftermath of the September 11 attacks. “He is an extraordinary American who is an outstanding lawyer and played an integral role in the post-September 11 period in building bridges between the Muslim American community in this state and law enforcement,” Christie said, adding he was “disgusted, candidly, by some of the qustions he was asked by both parties at the Senate Judiciary Committee. I thought it was awful.”

Governor Christie, being Governor Christie, didn’t stop there. When asked about concerns about sharia law in the context of the Mohammed appointment, Christie added, “Sharia law has nothing to do with this at all. It’s crazy. It’s crazy. The guy’s an American citizen who has been an admitted lawyer to practice in the state of New Jersey swearing an oath to uphold the laws of New Jersey, the Constitution of the state of New Jersey, and the Constitution of the United States of America.”

Sharia law has “nothing to do with Sohail Mohammed,” Christie added emphatically. “It’s just unnecessary to be accusing this guy of things just because of his religious background, and that’s what it’s because of.”

If any individual of any faith is engaging in activities that threaten the well-being of Americans, that is, of course, a serious concern. But remember this, too: one of the remarkable achievements of America is our tolerance and respect for people of different faiths. To put the burden of proof on Muslims to prove their loyalty to America, simply because they are Muslim, is the antithesis of the spirit of the American founding. And to target people simply because of their religious faith – to assume that (in Michael Gerson’s words) every Muslim is a recruit for sedition – is a direct assault on the very Constitution conservatives say we revere.

It’s one thing, and a laudable thing, not to participate in this ugliness. But it’s another thing, and a far more admirable thing, to stand against it. My former boss, President Bush, did this in the immediate aftermath of 9/11. And now, thankfully, Governor Chris Christie has as well.

Though I do question his assertion that anti-Muslim "isn't dominant within conservatism."

Aren't Christie's numbers in the gutter right now?

He's below 50%, but he is a Republican in a very Democratic state. In addition, he inhereted on the state level many of the same issues that Obama did on the national level. The state government has been running a lot of debt before he took over, and the bond rating was given a negative grade before he was govenor and subsequentially actually reduced.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-09/new-jersey-bond-rating-cut-by-s-p-on-growing-pension-health-obligations.html

http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2009/08/nj_credit_rating_outlook_in_th.html

He's done a lot in terms of taking on the public unions (w/o taking a Wisconsin like approach) and increasing the state workers healthcare and pension obligations.

Aren't Christie's numbers in the gutter right now?

Isn't just about everything in NJ in the gutter now? I know the mass exodus from NJ to Delaware has slowed somewhat but there's still a ton of retires trying to get the hell out and get away from the outrageous property taxes so they can retire here in DE.

Christie seems like an alright guy, but he's trying to fix a state that may just prove to be unfixable.

My only real gripe with Christie here in NJ is that his cuts tend to weigh too heavily on the schools for my taste. There are a lot of places to trim the fat in this state, but Christie always seems to cut most deeply into the education budget. Aside from that I don't really have any major issues with the man.

The guy is definitely intelligent, and that alone makes him appealing. He's also very direct. Did anyone else catch him on 60 minutes about 3 months ago when he talked about the debt crisis? It was a great segment. In any case, I like the guy a lot. I'm not sure I'd vote for him for POTUS, but he's got my respect and I'd at least consider it if he decided to run.

Archived