Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obama Turns 50 Despite Republican Opposition

@SkinsGoldPants

How low will the Dow go?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. How low will the Dow go?

• 6,000 or less
    • Everything is fine. Our economy is strong. Move along.

Obama Turns 50 Despite Republican Opposition

August 4, 2011 | ISSUE 47•31

WASHINGTON—After months of heated negotiations and failed attempts to achieve any kind of consensus, President Obama turned 50 years old Thursday, drawing strong criticism from Republicans in Congress. "With the host of problems this country is currently facing, the fact that our president is devoting time to the human process of aging is an affront to Americans everywhere," said Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, who advocated a provision to keep Obama 49 at least through the fall of 2013. "To move forward unilaterally and simply begin the next year of his life without bipartisan support—is that any way to lead a country?" According to White House officials, Obama attempted to work with Republicans right up until the Aug. 4 deadline, but was ultimately left with no choice except to turn a year older.terminator.gif

I'll also nominate:

Obama: Debt Ceiling Deal Required Tough Concessions By Both Democrats And Democrats Alike

August 3, 2011 | ISSUE 47•31

WASHINGTON—A day after signing legislation that raised the government debt ceiling and authorized steep budget cuts, President Obama thanked Democrats as well as Democrats for their willingness to make tough, but necessary, concessions during negotiations. "I'm truly grateful that both Democrats and their Democratic counterparts were able to reach this consensus, accepting an agreement that is far from perfect not just for Democrats, but also for Democrats," Obama said Wednesday of the deal that cut federal spending $2.1 trillion over 10 years but included no revenue increases of any kind. "Lawmakers from across the political spectrum—from moderate Democrats to the more liberal members of the party to dyed-in-the-wool progressives—reached within the aisle and showed the nation that compromise requires real sacrifice from everyone." Obama added that while it may look ugly at times, politics is about Democrats giving up what they want, as well as Democrats giving up what they want, until an agreement can ultimately be reached.

As a republican, I feel like I have to stand up and say that my party is wrong on this issue. Personally, I WANT the president to continue to age (as opposed to the alternative.) I just don't want him to be president anymore. :D

Obama gives in to Republican demands - Republicans walk out in protest

In the midst of debt ceiling negotiations with the Republican leadership, President Obama has done an abrupt about-face and made major concessions, forcing Republicans to walk out on the talks in protest.

Shortly after today’s meeting came to an abrupt end, Speaker of the House John Boehner expressed his frustration with the President. “Look, if he’s going to just agree to everything we ask for, we’re never going to be able to find common ground. The American people aren’t stupid, you know. They understand that if the President gives us everything we want, we must not want enough. So now we have to start over and come up with some even nuttier demands that even he can’t go along with. When President Obama is ready to take these negotiations seriously, we’ll be ready to go back to ignoring him. Until then, the ball is in his court, unless he agrees that the ball is in his court, in which case the Republican Party hereby demands that he change the ball to a hockey puck.”

Senior White House officials confirmed that the President upset Republicans by agreeing to their demands that he tackle the deficit by gutting Social Security and Medicare, dismantling "Obamacare," slashing Education spending, and forcing babies to change their own diapers. Negotiations broke down for good when Republicans balked at the President’s suggestion that billionaires should be required to chew their own food. Obama quickly apologized and withdrew the suggestion, a move widely seen as a slap in the face to Boehner.

Minutes after the meeting broke up, President Obama, speaking to reporters in the White House press room, expressed his frustration with the direction talks have taken. “I can’t figure out what these folks want. I caved on every issue. I agreed to all of their cuts and I promised not to seek higher taxes. I ordered pizza for everybody, picked off the bell peppers for Cantor, waxed Boehner’s limo, ironed all of McConnell’s dress shirts, and what do I get for my trouble? They treat me like I’m their Secretary of Transportation. That’s it, I’m drawing a line in the sand. As soon as I finish vacuuming Paul Ryan’s office, I’m done compromising.”

http://pardonthepundit.com/default.aspx?ID=144

Archived