Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"KIller Elite" (New Statham Movie)

ACW

• 1 month later...
The original with James Caan was one of my favorites back in the day. Very cool. Not a JS fan, myself.

I haven't seen either, but from reading the descriptions on IMDB the story lines are different, as are the character names. They claim for the more recent one that it is based on a true story. Was that the case for the original?

If not, it would seem that the only things they have in common are that they are both action spy films with the title Killer Elite.

I haven't seen either, but from reading the descriptions on IMDB the story lines are different, as are the character names. They claim for the more recent one that it is based on a true story. Was that the case for the original?

If not, it would seem that the only things they have in common are that they are both action spy films with the title Killer Elite.

Yup, China, the more I see of previews it looks like there's little in common other than general "spy/fights" stuff. Shooting from the hip, it looks like the Straw Dogs remake to me in that it may be decent popcorn-movie fun in it's own rights, but not at all like the original "classics" quality-wise in the manners they are. Also, am I the only one who feels De Niro has been phoning it in for paychecks for decades now? (for the most part).

• 3 weeks later...

Awhile back I discussed the original “Killer Elite” film (this not being it a true remake, but I am looking forward to seeing it). I am up late tonight and just watching it again. For all my younger tailgate members who like action movies, good acting, directing, and all other standard movie production values, spy-stuff-intrigue, and martial arts, I want to re-recommend you take the time to check it out.

Being it’s late and not wanting to type it all out, here’s the wiki link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Killer_Elite

But you got Peckinpah, Silliphant, Duvall, Caan and some very well-known members of the stunt and martial arts community that add up to something worth spending your time on, IMO.

If you’re unfamiliar with a couple of the names given as primary factors in the film, you might enjoy learning of them.

I have some (small) added partiality as someone who learned how to use a cane in martial arts from someone I knew personally that I have mentioned here before in other threads (Bong Soo Han < or Han Bong-Soo> of “Billy Jack” fame).

Interestingly enough, about 25 years after I learned those techniques, I received a total knee replacement operation, and often find it fun on the day I have my cane to think of those moves---especially ones that help keep me from not falling on my dumb ass. :pfft:

Archived