Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Josh Wilson rated top 5 in both pass and run stops

21cents

I know everyone is talking about us picking up a another starting cb. But i think we found a very good one in josh wilson.

Now in seattle he wasnt that great his coverage skills were average and his run stoping ability was below average.

Last year with ravens Wilson has posted top 5 in both pass and run metrics.

#3 in stop rate vs pass

#4 in stop rate vs run

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/player/17238/josh-wilson

Only cb's better then wilson in coverage last year was Nnamdi Asomugha(spell) and Asante Samuels. When you compare wilson ability to tackle in the run game it blows both of them out of the waters. Now iam not saying wilson is better then nnamdi or samuels, but he was the only cb last year in nfl to post in top 5 in both pass and run stops. Hopefully that is a sign to what will come to the redskins.

We got a great cb in wilson:logo:

Was this the same source that said Reed Doughty was a top 3 safety?

Nobody said that about Doughty. At least nobody at footballoutsiders.

What they did say, was that Doughty was the 7th "surest" tackler among DBs in the NFL...in 2009. That means he had the 7th lowest percentage of broken tackles of all defensive backs in the league that year. Basically, when Doughty does go in for the tackle, the other guy rarely gets by him.

*Edit: it was NFL Outsiders, not Footballoutsiders, that I was referring to...

The thing is, if Josh Wilson can merely replace Carlos Rogers, yet catch the would-be INTs that Rogers would always drop, I think our secondary should work out pretty well.

For all the crap we gave Rogers, he was a physical corner against the run, and did have above average coverage skills. The problem was he couldn't catch a cold. He had opportunities to make game-changing plays in some big games (Who will ever forget the Pick-6 Sure Thing he let bounce off his hands/chest in Seattle in 2005) He will never live those down because that is what ultimately made Rogers expendable.

You compare that to a CB such as Hall, who might give up more pass plays, but if a ball is thrown in his range, he is going to make the interception and make the other team pay for it.

If Josh Wilson can merely be a Carlos Rogers, with the ability to catch football's that hit him in the hands, I'll be happy.

What they did say, was that Doughty was the 7th "surest" tackler among DBs in the NFL...in 2009. That means he had the 7th lowest percentage of broken tackles of all defensive backs in the league that year. Basically, when Doughty does go in for the tackle, the other guy rarely gets by him.

Found the one I was referring to http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?316583-Reed-Doughty-Might-Be-An-Elite-Safety...

It was pro football focus and it had him at 7th overall mostly due to the fact he was the #1 run stoping safety. speaking of Wilson I doubt the guy is a top 5 DB but as long as he is better than Los I'll be happy. And also it's to damn difficult to keep track of all of these NFL statistical analysis websites.

And to think folk where so hoodwinked for so many years by such a mediocre, to be kind, corner in Rogers.

Now y'all are gona' see what a PROPER CB looks like.

Great pick-up. With Josh (26), Hal (27)l, Barnes (24) and hopefully the rook Thompson, or another next year; we're looking pretty darn set going forward for a good few years at the position.

One less worry of the many still to fully attend to in the coming few years.

Hail.

I think it was 2 years ago that they ranked Doughty #1 amongst safeties against the run. However, his pass defense rating was much, much worse.

I'm a fan of Josh Wilson, as well. It's nice to see youth in our secondary and pass on a guy like Carlos Rogers.

Where those ranking from just when he played on the Ravens or are there some from him in Seattle as well?

I'm a fan of Josh Wilson, as well. It's nice to see youth in our secondary and pass on a guy like Carlos Rogers.

Where those ranking from just when he played on the Ravens or are there some from him in Seattle as well?

just from ravens/

Definitely looks like an upgrade. IMO Hall & an improving Barnes would make our starting secondary pretty damn good paired with Wilson. Hall is an interception machine enough, so whatever Wilson/Barnes get will just be the cherry on top. Granted I'm used to Carlos not getting any interceptions at all, so basically just having a better chance at an interception is enough for me. Seeing these stats is really encouraging as well, he seems like a pretty complete defensive player specializing in pass coverage. Can someone remind me if he's more of a man guy or a zone guy?

jesus, this man crush on wilson is preposterous. yea he had better numbers when the ball was thrown in his direction than carlos did. He also had a far better blitz helping him out, and Ed Reed behind him. dude hasn't even done anything for us and we are putting him on a pedestal.

jesus, this man crush on wilson is preposterous. yea he had better numbers when the ball was thrown in his direction than carlos did. He also had a far better blitz helping him out, and Ed Reed behind him. dude hasn't even done anything for us and we are putting him on a pedestal.

Now he has a better safety duo behind him. Atogwe is IMO the second best ballhawk FS behind Reed, and Landry is better than his brother. Wilson also has a better CB opposite him. The Ravens have a much better front seven, but I would put our secondary up against anyone's at this point.

Archived