Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Athlete body diversity

Corcaigh

An interesting photo shoot performed a number of years ago took top athletes from different sports to show the diverse body types.

Maybe it's thanks to the images we get of emaciated Hollywood starlets and starving fashion models, but we might forget that fit <> thin.

http://ninamatsumoto.wordpress.com/2010/12/18/athletic-body-diversity-reference-for-artists/

Here's one example:

athletes09.jpg

I remember Steve Young talking about how Bill Walsh was fanatical about choosing football players who had undefined physiques and smoother shapes, i.e. Muhammed Ali or even Chris Cooley. He was convinced they made better athletes than the cut up greek statues.

Hershel Walker, for instance, couldn't dribble a basketball. Terrell Owens can't catch.

Anyways, not sure there is evidence on either side of the debate but I thought it was interesting

I remember Steve Young talking about how Bill Walsh was fanatical about choosing football players who had undefined physiques and smoother shapes, i.e. Muhammed Ali or even Chris Cooley. He was convinced they made better athletes than the cut up greek statues.

Hershel Walker, for instance, couldn't dribble a basketball. Terrell Owens can't catch.

Anyways, not sure there is evidence on either side of the debate but I thought it was interesting

The one thing that seems to be overlooked in all sports (aside from track and field and swimming and some others like that) is cardiovascular health. These are two completely weird examples, but I think it's interesting.

I remember after one of the Bulls' NBA Finals games, a reporter explaining that Dennis Rodman was not available for an interview because he needed to do 90 minutes on a Stair Master. There was a reason that an alcoholic night owl in his late 30s could track down rebounds at the end of NBA games that other dudes could not.

I also - for my own weird purposes - read Ric Flair's autobiography and he mentioned how no matter how long he wrestled or how much he drank the night before, he also found a treadmill the next morning. Even in his 50s, he could have 30 minute matches whereas the big muscular 25 year olds would be begging for breath after ten minutes. That's the one area where I feel like the NFL has gone way off the deep end. It seems like a lot of 4th Quarters now are just about who can keep their best players actually on their feet.

Shanahan may actually be ahead of the curve here. Everyone remembers the Super Bowl where his "small" linemen were pushing around the 600 pound Gilbert Brown in the 4th Quarter.

The one thing that seems to be overlooked in all sports (aside from track and field and swimming and some others like that) is cardiovascular health. These are two completely weird examples' date=' but I think it's interesting.

I remember after one of the Bulls' NBA Finals games, a reporter explaining that Dennis Rodman was not available for an interview because he needed to do 90 minutes on a Stair Master. There was a reason that an alcoholic night owl in his late 30s could track down rebounds at the end of NBA games that other dudes could not.

I also - for my own weird purposes - read Ric Flair's autobiography and he mentioned how no matter how long he wrestled or how much he drank the night before, he also found a treadmill the next morning. Even in his 50s, he could have 30 minute matches whereas the big muscular 25 year olds would be begging for breath after ten minutes. That's the one area where I feel like the NFL has gone way off the deep end. It seems like a lot of 4th Quarters now are just about who can keep their best players actually on their feet.

Shanahan may actually be ahead of the curve here. Everyone remembers the Super Bowl where his "small" linemen were pushing around the 600 pound Gilbert Brown in the 4th Quarter.[/quote']

Ric Flair? Lol, dude had man boobs for the back half of his career.

That said, you make a good point that I agree with.

"Again!... Again!.... Again!.... "

"I play for the United States!!!"

(cue inspirational music)

Ric Flair? Lol, dude had man boobs for the back half of his career.

Yet, he probably had the resting heart rate of a sleeping turtle.

I have no idea what that means.

That said, you make a good point that I agree with.

"Again!... Again!.... Again!.... "

"I play for the United States!!!"

(cue inspirational music)

Did you ever see the HBO documentary on the '80 team?

It talks about that night and has video clips of the actual sprints. (Or at least it's tape of US Hockey players doing sprints in an empty ice rink).

There's another great scene where they show Herb Brooks threatening to jam a stick down a Czech player's throat. It's possible that Herb Brooks was not a nice man. But his team was in shape.

Anyway, this sort of came clear to me during that 19-overtime San Antonio-Oklahoma City game in the NBA playoffs. It's not often that you see NBA players visibly sucking wind. Meanwhile, Durant and Westbrook looked like they had just come from a spa. Being able to run a lot without getting tired seems to be an advantage in sports.

I looked at all those pages.

NBA players are really the most perfectly designed athletes in the world' date=' aren't they.[/quote']

The sport of basketball does require the use of a good chunk of all accepted General Physical Skills:

Cardiovascular/Respiratory Endurance (obviously)

Stamina (also obvious)

Strength (not as much as other sports)

Flexibility (eh)

Power (explosiveness, for sure)

Speed (absolutely)

Coordination (d'uh)

Agility (d'uh)

Balance (not really)

Accuracy (shooting much?)

Archived