Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP (Jason Reid): London Fletcher: A leader for tumultuous times

ACW

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/london-fletcher-a-leader-for-tumultuous-times/2011/08/01/gIQA4SlvnI_story.html

The Washington Redskins’ best free agent of the Daniel Snyder era would prefer to discuss anything but himself.

“Man, why you doing this to me?” inside linebacker London Fletcher asked the other day during training camp at Redskins Park, capping the question with his signature hearty laugh and big smile. “It’s too hot for this.”

One of Washington’s greatest leaders since its Super Bowl days, Fletcher isn’t interested in assessing his impact during the most tumultuous four-year stretch in franchise history. The rock of the Redskins’ locker room doesn’t seek public pats on the back and “atta-boys,” so he would rather change the subject.

Still, what Fletcher has done for the Redskins is worth noting.

“No matter what we’ve been through, no matter what problems we’ve faced on or off the field, that guy has kept everybody calm and together,” linebacker Lorenzo Alexander said. “Fletch, he quiets the storm. Really, with some of the things that have happened, I don’t even want to think about how stuff could have been different if Fletch wasn’t around.”

:applause:

Fletch is great, but I think all this "holding the team together" stuff is a bit hyperbolic - not that it's his fault given who he has been surrounded with, but still.

I've seen this team quit three straight years toward the end of the season. These teams haven't been able to hold themselves together since Gibbs left.

I also don't see him making the hall of fame. Like Ken Harvey he's a good player on crappy teams. Way too low profile.

Archived