Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Om Field: 2011 Redskins--Winds of Change or Just More Hot Air?

Om

I don't understand why we have to suck for three years. Tampa turned it around pretty quick. Teams do it all the time. I am not saying we have to be world beaters this year but I really will be dissappointed if we aren't playing some decent ball in December this year. I guess alot has to do with the QB situation so maybe that is a reach. But, I think this mentality that we are going to get our doors blown off to the tune of 2-14 (Colin Cowherd etc) seems like a bit of chicken little thinking to me. We were coming off the Zorn era last year and we won 6 games including at Philly and Dallas at home. We also beat the eventual world champs. We are better now. We had guys who didn't fit the system at all. I expect bumps in the beginning of the season but I expect to see a much more cohesive team toward the end of the year. We're younger, faster, stronger and more coachable than we have been in a while. We have a proven leader/winner at the helm of this ship as well. This is a league of parity still and coaching counts. The media is quick to annoint the cowboys but I say Shanny beats Garrett 7 days a week. Reid in Philly is another story. Coughlin maybe better as well but I don't think the Gmen improved as much relative to us and I see their domination over us ending soon. Its philly and everyone else in our division. I don't want miracles but I'll be pissed if we are abysmal this year and picking in the top 5.

The column reminded me of the one Mark wrote before the 2010 season, which had some of the same themes:

http://www.theomfield.com/2010/07/2010-redskins-great-expectations.html

Om, would you consider that the 2010 team failed to meet your expectations?

That's not really yes or no question for me, brother. Certain things disappointed wildly---Donovan's play as the season reached midpoint, culminating with the disastrous game-losing INT against Detroit (the turning point of the season for me) among them.

Losing LaRon Landry had a disastrous impact on the D. The before and after effect was palpable.

The Haynesworth thing was a locker room cancer we only really are getting a grasp on now that he's officially gone.

But the good stuff is equally obvious. The intangibles like team unity, attitude and professionalism are miles improved over Zorn's last season. The youth movement, the dumping of so many aging, out-of-sync players, the shedding of the salary cap albatross, the clear change of direction from star to solider-oriented FA acquisitions, the sudden valuation of draft picks ... those are macro changes that should make any long-suffering Redskins fan smile.

The biggest disappointment last year was finding out Donovan either couldn't or wouldn't handle the Shanahan offense. Which of course means we're back at square one at the single most important single position in all of professional team sports---quarterback.

Love the overall direction and sense that adults are running the show. Hate that we're still looking for a quarterback. But if you hold a gun to my head and force me to anwer my own question about THIS season's expectations? Given the QB thing ... perhaps winds is too strong a word.

Put me down for Breeze of Change. :)

I don't understand why we have to suck for three years. Tampa turned it around pretty quick. Teams do it all the time. I am not saying we have to be world beaters this year but I really will be dissappointed if we aren't playing some decent ball in December this year. I guess alot has to do with the QB situation so maybe that is a reach. But, I think this mentality that we are going to get our doors blown off to the tune of 2-14 (Colin Cowherd etc) seems like a bit of chicken little thinking to me. We were coming off the Zorn era last year and we won 6 games including at Philly and Dallas at home. We also beat the eventual world champs. We are better now.

Tough for me to gauge this team. It doesn't seem far fetched that Beck/Grossman don't represent an upgrade over McNabb, and the younger and new players without the benefit of a full off season do not outperform last year's team but at the same time show promise for the future. So this team bombing record wise and doing worse than last year -- seems feasible IMO, and i won't be dissapointed if it unfolds in a way where the younger players show improvement over the year and the future looks good.

We had guys who didn't fit the system at all. I expect bumps in the beginning of the season but I expect to see a much more cohesive team toward the end of the year. We're younger, faster, stronger and more coachable than we have been in a while. We have a proven leader/winner at the helm of this ship as well. This is a league of parity still and coaching counts. The media is quick to annoint the cowboys but I say Shanny beats Garrett 7 days a week. Reid in Philly is another story. Coughlin maybe better as well but I don't think the Gmen improved as much relative to us and I see their domination over us ending soon. Its philly and everyone else in our division. I don't want miracles but I'll be pissed if we are abysmal this year and picking in the top 5.

Agree with your take here, except I can see it where it doesn't unfold this year but instead next year. Again i think the condensed off season puts teams that are overhauling their roster at a likely disadvantage. Hankerson might end up a stud for example but that's unlikely in year #1. You have likely a totally new starting D line which is exciting but at the same time will likely need to find time to develop chemistry. If Beck is the starter it might be rough for him in the beginning and take awhile to find his groove whatever that is.

---------- Post added August-3rd-2011 at 09:35 AM ----------

Gibbs basically did the same thing that Shanahan is trying to do - except he seemed to forget on occasion that rosters have 53 spots and not 18 or so. It's not entirely clear to me what the organizational focus was during the Zorn years.

Not sure I agree. For starters, Gibbs was far from a lets collect draft picks guy. Under Gibbs 2, it felt like the 2nd through 4th round didn't exist considering we traded almost all of those picks away year after year. Shanny was the same guy that fleeced Gibbs for draft picks in 3 different trades. IMO Gibbs with the draft was the opposite of Shanny this year and for that matter Shanny's Denver tenure. As for free agency, Gibbs towards the end of his tenure said that the team has a new take on free agency and that is to sign younger free agents -- and as to his rhetoric yeah I guess that's a similarity on one front but as to an overall roster overhaul and youth movement, don't see much parallel, heck not only do we have our full slate of draft picks for the next 2 years but we've already added picks to those drafts, that IMO feels far from the Gibbs exercise.

I would not have re-signed Santana. It's much cheaper to let K.McCardell do the coaching. And, the young WRs need all the reps they can get.

I don't think you beat 31 other competitors to the top by taking half-measures. Santana was a good win-now move for a team that should not be making win-now moves.

OF that is one of the dumber things I have read on this board. The young guys need a guy like Moss to learn from as a player. His production was terrific last year and he probably will be great in the slot this year. All this and he took a reasonable salary to finish up his career as a Skin. You got me scratching my bald head reading that. He was a win-win signing.

OF that is one of the dumber things I have read on this board. The young guys need a guy like Moss to learn from as a player. His production was terrific last year and he probably will be great in the slot this year. All this and he took a reasonable salary to finish up his career as a Skin. You got me scratching my bald head reading that. He was a win-win signing.

Keenan McCardell played the WR position for 16 years. He's being paid to coach the receivers. His salary does not count against the cap. Moreover, he doesn't sop up repetitions that the younger WRs need to develop.

Your point that we need Santana to help teach the younger guys is a weak excuse that you threw in because you know that his production is of no value at all to a team that is in a rebuild mode.

Even dumber than the signing of Moss, were the signings of Stallworth and Gaffney, both 30.

Keenan McCardell played the WR position for 16 years. He's being paid to coach the receivers. His salary does not count against the cap. Moreover, he doesn't sop up repetitions that the younger WRs need to develop.

Your point that we need Santana to help teach the younger guys is a weak excuse that you threw in because you know that his production is of no value at all to a team that is in a rebuild mode.

Even dumber than the signing of Moss, were the signings of Stallworth and Gaffney, both 30.

While I find it hard to disagree with your last line, I still fully disagree with your stance on Moss. He was 10th in the NFL and had 1100+ yards? If the team is in full rebuild mode and they could not trade him for something why let him and his productivity go? It makes no sense. If you need a pick-up truck and you have a 911 but nobody will pay you near what it is worth, you don't just give it away for nothing.

And this rebuild mode model you are talking about seems a tad overboard. Like hey were gonna suck, so lets make some dumb decisions because the smart choice won't matter anyway. And for what they signed Stallworth and Gaffney for I don't was a bad risk either, this team has not had any depth at the position for years. They will set the tone for professionalism while the young guys get their act together.

Now if their signing comes at the expense not of playing time, but a roster spot count me as out for supporting that. I don't see everyone of these guys making it, young or older guys. But a good combination of the two groups will make the team better both now and down the road.

SWFLSkins ~ While I find it hard to disagree with your last line, I still fully disagree with your stance on Moss. He was 10th in the NFL and had 1100+ yards? If the team is in full rebuild mode and they could not trade him for something why let him and his productivity go? It makes no sense. If you need a pick-up truck and you have a 911 but nobody will pay you near what it is worth, you don't just give it away for nothing.

Moss was an unrestricted free agent after least season. We can’t trade players not under contract.

And this rebuild mode model you are talking about seems a tad overboard. Like hey were gonna suck, so lets make some dumb decisions because the smart choice won't matter anyway. And for what they signed Stallworth and Gaffney for I don't was a bad risk either, this team has not had any depth at the position for years. They will set the tone for professionalism while the young guys get their act together.

“Set the tone for professionalism?” That vague excuse is weaker than the one you offered for re-signing Moss.

Now if their signing comes at the expense not of playing time, but a roster spot count me as out for supporting that. I don't see everyone of these guys making it, young or older guys. But a good combination of the two groups will make the team better both now and down the road.

If a 30-year old vet makes the team, a young WR will have to pass waivers before we put him on the practice squad -- and he can later be taken by any team as well.

We have 11 players 30 or older currently on the roster fighting for jobs with rookies. Why? Because they might help us win another game or two in a season where we can’t compete for the playoffs anyway.

I think Mike did a much better job this offseason than in 2010, but he could still do better. I’m hoping that most of those 30 year-olds get cut.

Mmmmmm, don't think the moss signing was dumb. The guy has been very productive. Stallworth and Gaffney aren't locks too make the team.

We're rebuilding, remember? How does the signing of three 30+ WRs fit a rebuild?

I agree with you on the over 30 wideouts to a point - I would have brought Moss back which you clearly would not. I think what might have influenced bringing in some veteran receivers is the truncated offseason and the worry that without OTAs how quickly the young receivers pick up the offense and what contribution they can make early. If they can show in preseason they can be relied on to be in the right place at the right time and know what they are doing I would hope that at least one of Gaffney or Stallworth does not make the team.

I do agree with you that posters who talk about veterans helping younger players as justification for signing them are reaching. Firstly as you have pointed out thats what we pay the coaches for and secondly veteran players are competing with these young guys for jobs - they may give them the odd tip and players can learn by watching how someone else runs a route etc but in the main they are not helping someone take their pay cheque.

I agree with you on the over 30 wideouts to a point - I would have brought Moss back which you clearly would not. I think what might have influenced bringing in some veteran receivers is the truncated offseason and the worry that without OTAs how quickly the young receivers pick up the offense and what contribution they can make early. If they can show in preseason they can be relied on to be in the right place at the right time and know what they are doing I would hope that at least one of Gaffney or Stallworth does not make the team.

I do agree with you that posters who talk about veterans helping younger players as justification for signing them are reaching. Firstly as you have pointed out thats what we pay the coaches for and secondly veteran players are competing with these young guys for jobs - they may give them the odd tip and players can learn by watching how someone else runs a route etc but in the main they are not helping someone take their pay cheque.

Signing Santana was the best win-now move Mike could have made. But, in the best interests of the team, why make any win-now moves at all with this team?

Signing Santana was the best win-now move Mike could have made. But, in the best interests of the team, why make any win-now moves at all with this team?

I'll agree and disagree with Moss. Do we need him in a rebuild? No. Do we need him because we have a ton of young recievers with one year or less experience of actual playing time? Absolutely.

As far a Stallworth and Gaffney goes, I'll reserve judgement on Gaffney, who I think will pan out initially, and the yeild to a younger player once they get a little more wet behind the ears....but I'll be shocked if Stallworth makes the team unless he really impresses.

Remember, we are also evaluating John Beck. Would it be fair to throw him out there with a bunch of rookie and 2nd year recievers who don't know the system and aren't seasoned at NFL routes/speed/timing? No, Sir.

I love the Moss signing, because I think he has another 4-5 years in him barring injury. I like the Gaffney move a lot, because Jarmon wasn't going to make the squad (too small for DE and too big for OLB in a 3-4) and Gaffney has strong hands and runs routes well.

Like I said on Stallworth, I would be shocked if he was more than a camp/preseason body brought in to give some self-esteem to the younger kids once they beat him out for a roster spot.

I really get tired of this "the old guys are taking reps from the young" argument for rebuilding. We should know better than that, there is a long history of trying to give the young WRs the playing time (Gardner, Thomas, etc).

Let them earn it on the practice field - don't hand it to them because they are younger!

Besides, I think Moss can still be performing at this level for 3 more years, which is a career for some players.

:helmet: The Rook

I think Tana will play mainly in the slot and in that role he can be productive for another 3 years and maybe more if he stays clear of injury. So I see him as a continuity move not just a win now move - if things go as I anticipate he will give the new QB we get next year an experienced and productive receiver to throw to as he gets his feet wet in the NFL.

My prediction is hat Moss, Gafney and Stallworth all will be cut ... Skins go with Youth ... Hankerson, Armstrong, Paul, Robinson, Austin and Banks!

We gave Moss a multi year deal with guarantees and he is coming off a 90 catch 1100 yard season. Why would you think he will be cut?

Moss will not be cut. Especially after being given a multi year deal. I do not agree with the Gaffney/Stallworth signing but I also disagree with the notion that you can't do a proper rebuild by signing veteran players. That is a fallacy. And one reason I'm glad some of you aren't making personnel decisions.

My prediction is hat Moss, Gafney and Stallworth all will be cut ... Skins go with Youth ... Hankerson, Armstrong, Paul, Robinson, Austin and Banks!

I'd be stunned if Moss is cut, be surprised if Gaffney is. Stallworth I can definitely see being cut. By my count, you have only four 30 something starters. 2 of those are 30. As for other 30 something guys it wouldn't surprise me if Sellers, Hicks are cut.

I also disagree with the notion that you can't do a proper rebuild by signing veteran players. That is a fallacy.

Yeah I agree with the spirit of Oldfan's point go younger all the way, start completely from scratch. But I can't think of ANY team football or baseball that does it that way.

Om;

That was a nice read. I'm thinking along similar lines as well. I'm mentally prepared for another losing season, but hoping we'll see improvement in the Skins as team, and the players and coaches 'settling in' with Shanhan/Haslett's gameplans. Sometimes you have to 'rebuild' before you 're-load.'

It'll also be great to see further momentum in the FO in transitioning to an effectively professional group that can manage to a long-term strategic plan. It's a balancing act between long-term strategies and short term needs -- but I'm encouraged by the current mix.

I'm also onboard with the idea the Skins are going to need some older veterans -- for team cohesion, to ensure greater stability in team performance, and to serve as good examples to the rookies and second year players. Also, it's a good encouragement to retain 'tenured' Redskins who've proven their worth, assuming they can still perform at a high-enough level. Hopefully the older players are signed with the mutual understanding that youth will still need to be served, in a thoughtful phased-in way.

Lastly, I want to thank you for the reference to "Mapplethorpe deal" -- I had to look it up, but it's a perfect way of coining the situation. Hopefully, when the Shanahan system 'sets in' -- the fans like his product that hits the field.

Yeah I agree with the spirit of Oldfan's point go younger all the way, start completely from scratch. But I can't think of ANY team football or baseball that does it that way.

In a perfect world Oldfan's opinion would be correct but that type of rebuild never happens in the NFL. Going younger is great but you need young talented players and not all young players are talented. IMO you need some vets mixed in with youth as long as the vets don't outnumber your up and comers its ok to sign a few veterans at key positions.

Why would you think he will be cut?

Moss is too old, has lost a few steps and is injury prone. My guess is that he will pull a hammy and Mike will get fed up.

I see Clemens winning the QB battle and throwing to the young studs. This is a development year until they grab a "franchise" QB in 2012 Draft.

Makes no sense to keep him ... contract guaranteed only for one year at relatively low level ... Austin, Robinson and Banks all can play out of slot.

Moss is too old, has lost a few steps and is injury prone. My guess is that he will pull a hammy and Mike will get fed up.

I see Clemens winning the QB battle and throwing to the young studs. This is a development year until they grab a "franchise" QB in 2012 Draft.

Makes no sense to keep him ... contract guaranteed only for one year at relatively low level ... Austin, Robinson and Banks all can play out of slot.

I don't see it. They would not have even made a move to resign Moss if that was the case. At most he may have lost a half a step, but for a 30+ year old wideout I would say he still has some pretty Damn good wheels. Not to mention the fact that Shanny loves the guy. Santana is a playmaker and will probably play out his full 3 years and retire a Redskin. I see no way he gets cut.

Archived