Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

mysanantonio.com: Ryan takes verbal shots at Eagles

tr1

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/cowboys/article/Cowboys-Notebook-Ryan-takes-verbal-shots-at-1688875.php

?controllerName=image&action=get&id=1191284&width=628&height=471

Outspoken Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan apparently isn't impressed by the Philadelphia Eagles' attention-grabbing offseason moves.

Priming themselves for what they hope will be a Super Bowl run, the Eagles have added an impressive array of talent headed by shutdown cornerbacks Nnamdi Asomugha and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.

Philadelphia's sexy transactions stand in sharp contrast to the Cowboys' ho-hum signings of defensive ends Marcus Spears, Kenyon Coleman and Jason Hatcher.

“These are proven players, and that's what we need,” Ryan told a throng of reporters after the afternoon practice. “I don't know if we win the all-hype team. That might have gone to somebody else, but we're going to beat their ass when we play them.”

---------- Post added August-2nd-2011 at 05:01 AM ----------

Somebody get him a donut...

Is it just me, or do the Ryan family do more for keeping sugar farmers, bakers, burger sellers et all in business than any other family collective in the US today? And that's saying something.

And Jason Hatcher and Kenyon Coleman are 'proven players?' The former who's never broken the starting eleven, and the later who never could in four previous years in pukeville but has on a poor Jets team and an even worse Browns outfit? Gota' love the parallel Universe everyone that enters Jerruh World lives in.

Hail.

yes, without a doubt, yes

"without a doubt" would apply when saying Peyton Manning is a better QB than Jay Cutler, but curious as to why you think Haslett is that far above Ryan. Ryan has coached some really good defenses (hopefully not this year), and Haslett had good, but not great, defenses in Pittsburgh.

LOL, get outta here with that. Haslett is one of, if not the WORST D-Coordinators in the entire league. I don't care about last year, but let's review this guy's career as a coach shall we?

He sucked as a Rams coach and D-Coordinator, he was "mediocre" as a Saints coach and he absolutely sucked as the D-Coordinator last year. The only time he could've been looked at as an alright coach was when he coached the Saints to a 10-6 record in 2000. Now let's look a Rob Ryan's career as a coach:

He led the Patriots to the 1st ranked defense in the league for scoring in 2003. In 2006, he led the Oakland Raiders to the third ranked defense which is probably a better accomplishment than anything Haslett has ever done as a D-Coordinator.

How can you sit there and say that Haslett has anything on Rob Ryan? The man was out of the NFL before he got hired by the Redskins for God's Sake!! You saw what he did last year with our defense. If we didn't come calling for Haslett, he would still the in the UFL, and no other NFL team would give him a chance to coach.

"without a doubt" would apply when saying Peyton Manning is a better QB than Jay Cutler, but curious as to why you think Haslett is that far above Ryan. Ryan has coached some really good defenses (hopefully not this year), and Haslett had good, but not great, defenses in Pittsburgh.

what defenses has rob ryan coached that have been any good? i was under the impression he was the browns DC last year, is that incorrect? pretty sure they were awful, same as the year before and the year before that too.

Is it just me, or do the Ryan family do more for keeping sugar farmers, bakers, burger sellers et all in business than any other family collective in the US today? And that's saying something.

And Jason Hatcher and Kenyon Coleman are 'proven players?' The former who's never broken the starting eleven, and the later who never could in four previous years in pukeville but has on a poor Jets team and an even worse Browns outfit? Gota' love the parallel Universe everyone that enters Jerruh World lives in.

Hail.

:ols: at the first comment. Those guys really are good for the economy.

LOL, get outta here with that. Haslett is one of, if not the WORST D-Coordinators in the entire league. I don't care about last year, but let's review this guy's career as a coach shall we?

He sucked as a Rams coach and D-Coordinator, he was "mediocre" as a Saints coach and he absolutely sucked as the D-Coordinator last year. The only time he could've been looked at as an alright coach was when he coached the Saints to a 10-6 record in 2000. Now let's look a Rob Ryan's career as a coach:

He led the Patriots to the 1st ranked defense in the league for scoring in 2003. In 2006, he led the Oakland Raiders to the third ranked defense which is probably a better accomplishment than anything Haslett has ever done as a D-Coordinator.

How can you sit there and say that Haslett has anything on Rob Ryan? The man was out of the NFL before he got hired by the Redskins for God's Sake!! You saw what he did last year with our defense. If we didn't come calling for Haslett, he would still the in the UFL, and no other NFL team would give him a chance to coach.

whoa whoa slow down there big guy, i didn't know we weren't allowed to joke around a little bit. but seriously, those 2 years from rob ryan more than 5 years ago, are not relevant. rob ryan has been awful going on 5 years now, he is living off of his brother and dads name. you do remember he was the DC for the browns right? they have been terrible since he's been there.

those Ryan boys are all a bunch of mouthy blowhards. I just hope he can bring to the Cowboys what Rex brought to the Jets. If that is the case, he can yap all he wants....

thats right....lets hope he brings a real attitude to the defense..........ill take it, the team has taken on a soft personalty for way too long

Now let's look a Rob Ryan's career as a coach:

He led the Patriots to the 1st ranked defense in the league for scoring in 2003.

He was Linebackers coach...

In 2006, he led the Oakland Raiders to the third ranked defense which is probably a better accomplishment than anything Haslett has ever done as a D-Coordinator.

2004 - coached Raiders to the #30 defense/yards and #31 defense/points

2005 - coached Raiders to the #27 defense/yards and #25 defense/points

2006 - coached Raiders to the #3 defense/yards and #18 defense/points

2007 - coached Raiders to the #22 defense/yards and #26 defense/points

2008 - coached Raiders to the #27 defense/yards and #24 defense/points

2009 - coached Browns to the #31 defense/yards and #21 defense/points

2010 - coached Browns to the #22 defense/yards and #13 defense/points

How can you sit there and say that Haslett has anything on Rob Ryan?

1996 - coached Saints to the #13 defense/yards and #20 defense/points

1997 - coached Steelers to the #6 defense/yards and #11 defense/points

1998 - coached Steelers to the #12 defense/yards and #7 defense/points

1999 - coached Steelers to the #11 defense/yards and #12 defense/points

2000 - coached Saints to the #8 defense/yards and #10 defense/points

2001 - coached Saints to the #16 defense/yards and #27 defense/points

2002 - coached Saints to the #27 defense/yards and #26 defense/points

2003 - coached Saints to the #18 defense/yards and #14 defense/points

2004 - coached Saints to the #32 defense/yards and #27 defense/points

2005 - coached Saints to the #14 defense/yards and #28 defense/points

2006 - coached Rams to the #23 defense/yards and #28 defense/points

2007 - coached Rams to the #21 defense/yards and #31 defense/points

2008 - coached Rams to the #28 defense/yards and #31 defense/points

Let's compare, shall we?

Only THREE times did Ryan's defense rank at #20 or higher in terms of yards or points. Three times out of 14 possible chances...that's 21%.

Haslett? His defenses have ranked at #20 or higher 14 times in terms of yards or points. 14 times out of 26 possible chances...that's 54%

54% >>> 21%

Only TWO times did Ryan's defense rank in the top half of the league in terms of yards or points. Two times out of 14 possible chances...that's 14%.

Haslett? His defenses have ranked in the top half of the league 12 times in terms of yards or points. 12 times out of 26 possible chances...that's 46%

46% >>> 14%

Only ONE time did Ryan's defense rank in the top 10 in terms of yards or points. One time out of 14 possible chances...that's 7%.

Haslett? His defenses have ranked in the top 10 four times in terms of yards or points. 4 times out of 26 possible chances...that's 15%

15% >>> 7%

Ryan's defenses have ranked 30 or lower three times in terms of yards or points. 3 times our of 14 possible chances...that's 21%

Haslett? His defenses have ranked 30 or lower three times in terms of yards or points. 3 times out of 26 possible chances...that's 12%

12% <<< 21%

Yes, it seems you are right...it is foolish to think Haslett is a better D-Coordinator than Ryan. Whatever could I have been thinking.

Let's compare, shall we?

Only THREE times did Ryan's defense rank at #20 or higher in terms of yards or points. Three times out of 14 possible chances...that's 21%.

Haslett? His defenses have ranked at #20 or higher 14 times in terms of yards or points. 14 times out of 26 possible chances...that's 54%

54% >>> 21%

Only TWO times did Ryan's defense rank in the top half of the league in terms of yards or points. Two times out of 14 possible chances...that's 14%.

Haslett? His defenses have ranked in the top half of the league 12 times in terms of yards or points. 12 times out of 26 possible chances...that's 46%

46% >>> 14%

Only ONE time did Ryan's defense rank in the top 10 in terms of yards or points. One time out of 14 possible chances...that's 7%.

Haslett? His defenses have ranked in the top 10 four times in terms of yards or points. 4 times out of 26 possible chances...that's 15%

15% >>> 7%

Ryan's defenses have ranked 30 or lower three times in terms of yards or points. 3 times our of 14 possible chances...that's 21%

Haslett? His defenses have ranked 30 or lower three times in terms of yards or points. 3 times out of 26 possible chances...that's 12%

12% <<< 21%

Yes, it seems you are right...it is foolish to think Haslett is a better D-Coordinator than Ryan. Whatever could I have been thinking.

With all those stats, he surely would've been a capable NFL defensive coach, correct? Why was Haslett in the UFL with no one even calling his number for a job? Can you answer that?

Why would we instill a 3-4 defense with no personnel and continually play players out of their natural positions? These are some of the questions I have about Jim Haslett, and his coaching capabilities. With all of the personnel we have added on defense, he should be able to figure out get the most of his staff.

Let's compare, shall we?

54% >>> 21%

46% >>> 14%

15% >>> 7%

12% <<< 21%

would you like to compare the talent those two had in comparison to those jobs? Give me a break, please.....With equal talent, Rob is a much better coach, nmore creative, better in his scghenmes and def better at adjustments......its in the Ryan Blood.

was Haslett the Def Cord and head coach or did hje have a cord under him in New orleans 2000-2005?

With all those stats, he surely would've been a capable NFL defensive coach, correct? Why was Haslett in the UFL with no one even calling his number for a job? Can you answer that?

Why would we instill a 3-4 defense with no personnel and continually play players out of their natural positions? These are some of the questions I have about Jim Haslett, and his coaching capabilities. With all of the personnel we have added on defense, he should be able to figure out get the most of his staff.

I'm not sure why noone hired him. We probably won't be able to answer that question. Maybe the UFL paid better as a head coach then he would make as a coordinator?

But why not switch to the 3-4 last year? I mean, we were'nt going anywhere? We had square pegs trying to fit in round holes. How is that his fault? He works with players he's given. Now, were 1 year ahead of the curve in transforming to the 3-4. You can see the FO is now going out and acquiring 3-4 players (Bowen, Cofield, Kerrigan, Jenkins) and ditching the 4-3 players (Rocky, Albert, Golston, Carter). Jeez Louise, give it time. I guarantee you'll see an improvement in the defense. I'm not saying they'll be top 10, but they won't be 31st again.

47-61. Wanna guess whose coaching record that belongs to?

Oh, and Rob Ryan's 2006 Raiders defense>>>>>>>Anything Jim Haslett has done as a D-Coordinator EVER. That Raiders team had LOST Charles Woodson, and still managed to finish third in defense even though their final record was 4-12.

That's the only response you have?...Really?

Ok, then. I'll let that one stand on it's own...no need to ridicule it further.

Ok.

None of that, though, shows that it's laughable to think Haslett is a better D-Coordinator than Ryan, does it? Nope.

would you like to compare the talent those two had in comparison to those jobs?

If you feel you have to compare players from 13 different defenses over the past 12 years in order to make your point, then you've already lost the argument.

But by all means, feel free to compare the defensive rosters from the 2000 Saints to the 2005 Raiders, or any of the other combinations that exist. We await your in-depth comparisons with baited breath.

Give me a break, please.....With equal talent, Rob is a much better coach, nmore creative, better in his scghenmes and def better at adjustments......its in the Ryan Blood.

Translation: "Rob's last name is 'Ryan'...therefore, he's better."

That's about the level of analysis I usually expect from you, TRPB :thumbsup:...

was Haslett the Def Cord and head coach or did hje have a cord under him in New orleans 2000-2005?

I assigned the defense's performance to Haslett either way, as I would have done with Phillips during his Dallas tenure. But if you want, you can remove those years...my viewpoint still holds up.

---------- Post added August-2nd-2011 at 08:33 AM ----------

47-61. Wanna guess whose coaching record that belongs to?

Are we talking who is the better D-Coordinator or who is the better head coach. Most of us who understand football also understand that it takes a different set of skills to be a good head coach than it does a good D-Coordinator. Not to mention, Rob Ryan has never been a head coach, so comparing them on their win/loss records is asinine. But, hey, feel free to continue being asinine if you want lol...

Oh, and Rob Ryan's 2006 Raiders defense>>>>>>>Anything Jim Haslett has done as a D-Coordinator EVER. That Raiders team had LOST Charles Woodson, and still managed to finish third in defense even though their final record was 4-12.

And this is based on...what, exactly? Yardage ranking? Can you provide more to back up your stance than a quick glance at NFL.com?

Archived