Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Cowboys CB Newman insists he has no hard feelings over team’s pursuit of Asomugha

tr1

SAN ANTONIO — Had Jerry Jones gotten his wish, Terence Newman almost certainly would not be getting ready for his ninth season with the Dallas Cowboys.

It’s not that Jones specifically wanted to get rid of Newman. It’s just that the top cornerback in the NFL, Nnamdi Asomugha, was a free agent and Jones wanted to sign him. Badly.

And if Jones had succeeded, Newman would’ve been the obvious choice to be dumped to make room for Asomugha in the starting lineup and under the salary cap.

Jones didn’t get his prize, though. So Dallas is sticking with Newman.

Uh, no hard feelings, right Terence?

“It’s a business, you know?” Newman said Sunday in his first interview since Asomugha jilted the Cowboys for the division rival Eagles. “I’m here, he’s in Philly. That’s what I’m focused on right now, moving forward.”

It sure beats looking back.

Like everyone else on the Dallas defense, Newman struggled last season. He and Mike Jenkins each went from Pro Bowler in 2009 to among the most-burned cornerbacks in the NFL, according to STATS, Inc.

Newman gave up 58 receptions for 871 yards and three touchdowns. Only five cornerbacks allowed more yards, nine more catches. Jenkins was among those giving up more yards, 935, the second-most in the league.

Because teams were successful throwing against either cornerback, quarterbacks felt comfortable throwing to anywhere on the field. That doesn’t happen in a secondary manned by Asomugha. He was so feared that only 33 passes came his way all season; only 13 were caught. So it’s easy to see why Jones coveted Asomugha.

Newman likely would’ve been the odd man out because he turns 31 a week before the opener and counts $10 million against the salary cap this season. He was considered a possible cut long before the courting of Asomugha simply because of the $8 million in cap room the Cowboys could’ve created by dropping him. Perhaps the fact they didn’t helps make up for the slight of the Asomugha negotiations.

The Cowboys also are trying to make Newman feel wanted with their words.

Secondary coach Dave Campo said Saturday that the front office never should’ve tried to sign Asomugha and new defensive coordinator Rob Ryan tried to downplay how seriously the Cowboys negotiated. Jones added that Newman knows “you can’t have enough corners, enough outstanding corners.” Coach Jason Garrett joined the chorus on Sunday, calling Newman “a very talented guy.”

“He doesn’t seem to me that he’s a guy who is slowing down at all,” Garrett said. “He still runs well, he’s very quick, he has good awareness in the game and he will continue to grow.”

His job safe for the time being, Newman knows the best way to keep it that way is by cutting down the number of receptions he allows.

“We didn’t play very well in the secondary last year, and the No. 1 focus we have right now is to try to get better — as a team, as a secondary, as a defense,” he said. “I’m not a prophet and I can’t tell you what’s going to happen in the future. All I know is what I can do and what I can control. I’m just out here trying to get better.”

---------- Post added August-2nd-2011 at 04:57 AM ----------

Puke fans, if you thought your defense sucked last year, hold onto your collective hats...

well, im guessing to Skins fans he is the next 85- 1400 12 TD WR .............

We shall see how Hank the cowdog does for the Skins.

well at least we don't have to worry about him becoming the next 11 (that's roy williams for you poke fans that can't read/comprehend) - how many draft picks? how much money? and instead of trading they release him and he is scooped up by the bears, lol

well at least we don't have to worry about him becoming the next 11 (that's roy williams for you poke fans that can't read/comprehend) - how many draft picks? how much money? and instead of trading they release him and he is scooped up by the bears, lol

I'll see your Roy Williams and raise you an Albert Haynesworth.

(I don't think that the Skins had to give up any draft picks, but an equally bad and expensive signing)

Of course he doesn't have any hard feelings, he sucks and Asomugha doesn't.

---------- Post added August-2nd-2011 at 11:41 AM ----------

If you're a cowboys fan posting on this message board, or any other fan for that matter, you're just a scrub. Find another message board

Archived