Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Taking the time to thank Bruce Allen(so far at least)

Sanders 83

I started a blog about a month ago, and I have yet to blog anything about the Skins, but I figured this is a good time to start. So I would like to thank Bruce Allen for the job he has done in a week, admist all the chaos in the NFL, I think he has done a remarkable job. Certainly Vinny C would have screwed this up for sure.

Well I have read most of the Redskin articles agreeing with our recent moves, I have yet to see someone truly give Bruce Allen the credit he deserves. Starting with trading the Redskins two biggest headaches, that were rumored to be gone all offseason, I find it truly amazing he was able to get 3 potential draft picks for McNabb and Haynesworth. After watching the Vinny debacle for the last 6+ years, where time after time the Redskins got fleeced in trades, this is a welcome change.

Honestly I would have been happy with that, considering we had 12 draft picks, and by all accounts graded out pretty well. But not Bruce Allen, no sir, instead we re-signed Santana on the first day possible, and upgraded the DL at a reasonable price. Did he stop there? Of course not. Somehow, in the midst of signing those players and the trades, he managed to get ALL 12 draft picks signed before the week was even over.

So as he keeps wheeling and dealing, and before we actually know what is going to happen with these moves, let me just say Thank you Bruce Allen for finally bringing some common sense to the Redskins front office. For too long most of us fans weren't even sure what that meant anymore, but now that I can see it, I remember what it looks like. I just hope it translates into wins, and our fans will be willing to be patient enough for it to play out.

Just so it is legit, a link to plug myself, lol.

:dallasuck:dallasuck

I think considering what we have seen from our FO in the last 10-20 years... what he pulled off in a week is light years ahead of most of what we have seen... As Redskin fans... if we haven't learned patience by this point... something is just wrong with us... I'm not jumping up and down screaming super bowl... just want to thank BA for doing a good job the past week... when Vinny would have royally screwed up... and most teams didn't get 12 draft picks into camp in an orderly fasion...

I think considering what we have seen from our FO in the last 10-20 years... what he pulled off in a week is light years ahead of most of what we have seen... As Redskin fans... if we haven't learned patience by this point... something is just wrong with us... I'm not jumping up and down screaming super bowl... just want to thank BA for doing a good job the past week... when Vinny would have royally screwed up... and most teams didn't get 12 draft picks into camp in an orderly fasion...

Sure but this year is unique from any other.

Had Bruce and Shanny realized last year what we all knew (the team needed to be gutted) I would give them an A+.

One year later, and a year delay in starting the process it kind of drags down the rating. Schottenheimer was the last person prepared to do it right.

As for the current regime, we will see.

Well I don't know the numbers off the top of my head... but I think they cut more last year than this year... IIRC they cut like 10-15 guys before March 1st last year... I get what your saying... I do... but I think they were clear year 1 was more about seeing what you got... I won't argue the McNabb trade was a bust... but at the time I think it seemed sensible considering lack of a real NFL QB for so many years... Hindsight is always better... and maybe keeping Campbell would have been better than trading two picks for McNabb... but I don't think that many people considered him washed up and certainly not lazy...but surely you can understand that Vinny would have screwed this offseason up more than any in the past... He would have spent big dollars on FA's and more than likely wouldn't have all 12 picks(of course it would have been 5 picks) in camp by now...

Sure but this year is unique from any other.

Had Bruce and Shanny realized last year what we all knew (the team needed to be gutted) I would give them an A+.

One year later, and a year delay in starting the process it kind of drags down the rating. Schottenheimer was the last person prepared to do it right.

As for the current regime, we will see.

The team definitely needed to be gutted to compete, but they didn't have a lot of options for bringing in players last year, the free agent market was completely barren due to the end of the CBA, unless you wanted to add a 30+ year old vet.

I'm sure they pegged this offseason as the one in which they were going to build up the roster. There were two offseasons worth of FA's available and a huge number of 25-27 year olds yet to hit their prime. If we tried to do this last season we would have paid a premium for aging underwhelming talent, which is something we're all to familiar with.

I guess most be people won't be happy until we get a QB they approve of... Typical of DC the QB favorite is usually anyone but the starter... I'm just glad he didn't give up a bunch of picks to get Orton or Kolb...I'm willing to give Beck a change... so I guess my view of BA is biased...Either that or I'm just so happy Vinny is gone...I could be happy with anything right now...

I'll give him credit when we start winning, because, well, thats the point.

Also, why did we not begin this process last year? What was the point of holding on to old vets, the McNabb thing, etc. Ehh, I'm still bitter. I will be the first to dish praise once it is deserved though.

Also, what type of universe do we live in where a guy can get credit for trading a 2nd round pick for a star, pay him well, get nothing out of him, and then trade him for a 6th round pick a few months later?

That was a total debacle. Nothing more can be said of it.

Also, what type of universe do we live in where a guy can get credit for trading a 2nd round pick for a star, pay him well, get nothing out of him, and then trade him for a 6th round pick a few months later?

That was a total debacle. Nothing more can be said of it.

People make mistakes... Nobody is perfect... I'm pretty sure Vinny screwed up far worse than that one trade... Plenty of GM's have...Give the guy a break...

Archived