Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Concern about John Beck's arm? Washington Post

imseantaylor

I just came across this article from the Washington Post, and it raises some serious concerts about our man under the helm. It contains various Tweets from people who watched the Saturday practice.

Here's the article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/john-becks-saturday-practice/2011/07/31/gIQApL8hmI_blog.html

In summation: great guy, great leadership, accurate short to medium pass, TERRIBLE DEEP BALL.

I've read everything I could possibly get my hands on about this guy and watched every video I could, and I can say I really do think this guy can get it done. He's done everything possible in the offseason to prove to everyone that he's our guy. I just wanted to keep everyone around here grounded about Beck. With our speedy receivers (Moss, Armstrong, Stallworth, Banks, Austin, Hankerson) we could easily push the ball down field and stretch the defense. If Beck can't deliver to our guys in practice, can he do it when the lights are shining on him? Maybe it was just a bad day, or maybe it was just windy, but on the off chance of sounding negative, I would suggest holding off on hopping on his bandwagon just yet.

Every tweet i've read is just an extension of what we saw last pre-season. The highlights are on youtube.

Anything further than about 30 yards is a duck or way overthrown.

It'll take 2 regular season games before defenses figured that out and commited the house up front. Bye bye running and short game.

Beck's not going to get it done and will not be starting game 1.

Just for clarification's sake, Steinberg is basing his comments on the same tweets posted in the training camp thread for that day. ES members came to the same conclusion in that thread that Steinberg did, but didn't get paid to do it.

So, it's nice to see a reporter come to a conclusion based on the short written bursts of people commenting on a specific moment in time on the second or so day of training camp.

If he had a strong arm, you would've seen it, even if he wasn't accurate with it. Let's hope he makes up for it by putting it on the money. Kurt Warner threw an ugly ball, but it was always on target.

Chad Pennington had a noodle arm, but he was accurate enough to be effective. But even then, eventually coaches couldn't put up with it and he was fighting for his job every year cuz they were trying to get the throws that require some extra juice back in the passing game.

I will defer to your judgement on this but I'd like to add that timing and rhythm take time to develop. I think the main thing he needs to do is be able to read a defense and be accurate if he can do that he, or any quarterback can be a great QB in this league. Of course that's simplifying it a bit and it's easier said than done. A big arm a great quarterback does not make. (See Kyle Boller, Jamarcus Russell) Moreover, lets say despite all his work between now and the time the season starts he never really develops a great deep ball. In a west cost offense you don't need it. YAC will get it done, as long as you have the receivers, and I think they've certainly done a good job bringing in enough speed and experience. There's 1 qb that pretty much proves this theory...Joe Montana, he never had a big arm, and honestly wasn't that accurate deep, and he didn't look pretty doing it, but he got it done. I'm not saying John Beck is the next Joe Montana, but if he lacks something in ability...then he needs to attempt to follow in his footsteps.

I think we're all used to old players on the last few years (games) of their career. So we think every time we see them will be a little better than the next time.

We have to get used to young players. With the right effort and coaching, they can actually get *better* from week to week or season to season. New concept here in DC!

Look...all things given and understood (may that phrase be met with comprehension :)) about what we're going to do, and is fine to do, in terms of churning through every fart and hiccup on the field at this time...there are few (really, I'd say none) amateur fans or sports reporters or anyone else other than the coaching staff, that at this point are going to be able to parse anything remotely definitive about what can be expected from watching the fist days of delayed practice activity. It's not that good guesses, or decent projections based on all past and present info on a player are out of the realm of possibility, it's just something to keep in mind while we all do what we're going to do anyway. :)

Could be just a bad day at practice for his deep ball, or it could be a lingering problem. Something to keep our eye on for sure.

It's a consistent long term problem;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-OVflLY7hg ---- vs. Jets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B17arflJp9Y ---- vs. Cards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXLIVDOawcI ---- NFL debut w/ Miami

You'll find exactly 1 pass that connects over 30 yards in those links.

It's like dink and dunk to the extreme.

Also... keep in mind all the recievers laying out and diving that we''ve heard the last couple days when watching.

I thought it was interesting that scouting reports on Beck coming out of college praised the "zip" he put on the ball. I think his velocity was timed second fastest in his draft class. That being said, there is no doubt that he struggles throwing the long ball. If we can get a good running game to support this offense, he really wont be required to do too much bombing the ball.

And how long has it been again since we had a good QB?why should this year be any different?it was completely unaddressed in the draft and thus far in FA so we're stuck with what we got.

Just grin and bare it.

Which QB's do you think were worth getting in FA or in the draft that would've been a good fit and could play for more than 2 years? I couldn't really find any I was in love with, and I guess neither could the FO

Shrewd move on Shannahan's part, telling Beck to overthrow his deep passes. He'll keep it up through preseason and then when the Giants stack the line during the first game, it's bombs away Beck...Does the Fed Ex scoreboard register triple digits? I hope so because we'll easily score over 100 points.

Archived