Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would you sour on the Trent Williams pick if he changed positions (plus general discussion)

Forehead

I'll admit up front this requires some what if's but I think it's worth asking because occasionally, people have floated the idea of switching Trent Williams and Jammal Brown on the line. My question to you is, if this were to occur, what would your feelings be?

Trent Williams, as we all know, was drafted #4 overall last year. Being that it was the last year before this most recent CBA, he signed a generous 6 year, 60 Million dollar contract, 36.75 million of which is guaranteed. Trent Williams was a rookie LT, played against some very imposing pass rushers, and endured an up and down season. I think we can all admit this. There were times where you could see flashes, but he also got worked occasionally. Williams also played a lot of RT in college.

Jammal Brown was hurt for part of last year, but towards the end of the season, he came on strong, and he is healthy now, going into the start of this season. We just resigned him for 5 years at a decent price. Jammal Brown has had injuries in the past, but has also made two pro bowls as a LT. More importantly in my opinion, he was a 1st Team All-Pro at LT in 2006. Sure, it was five seasons ago, but I've always regarded All-Pro selections as more important that Pro Bowls. The history is there, and Brown was admittedly a little uncomfortable switching to the right side this past season, though he made the best of it.

So suppose Williams struggles out of the gate this season, and rumors of a switch get floated around, or maybe the switch happens. How do you react. Off the top of my head, I could think of two cases. The first is Levi Brown in Arizona. Drafted 5th overall in 2007, signed a 6 year, 62 million dollar deal, around 18 million guaranteed. Pretty much has busted at the NFL level at LT and has been moved to RT, where he's been serviceable but probably not average. But they were able to use him to fill another spot.

The second comparison is Robert Gallery of the Raiders. He was drafted 2nd overall in 2004 to be the LT of the future, and signed a 7 year, 60 Million dollar contract with 18 million guaranteed. He busted horribly because he couldn't pass protect at the NFL level. However, Oakland was able to convert him to a LG, and he excelled in that spot. Of course, he was a LG making 60 million over 7 years, but he was performing well. He recently signed with Seattle as a FA.

So, let's assume for the sake of argument that Trent Williams struggles and is moved to RT, and Jammal Brown is moved to LT. Both perform admirably...maybe not Pro Bowl level, but well enough that the board doesn't complain too much about their performance. Would you be happy that Williams was able to be slotted into another spot and able to contribute, or would you be annoyed that we had 60 million dollars (38+ guaranteed) committed to the RT spot?

And I suppose in general, would you be happier if draft busts were able to succeed as extremely overpaid players at another position, or would you prefer to just cut your losses and try again the next draft with younger players more appropriately paid?

I just don't see this happening. I guess it could, but Trent Williams is a prototypical left tackle and, despite slowing at the end of the season, was pretty impressive against some big time defensive ends. Couple that with the fact that Jamaal Brown started to pick up RT as the season progressed and his injury situation got better and it doesn't seem like this has any chance of happening.

I think, despite questions along our line, we have two bookend tackles for the next 5+ years.

I did note up front this requires some "what if" thinking. I've seen the idea floated on the board here and there, but I was trying to craft it also as an "in general" question so we don't focus solely on whether Williams will succeed at LT. His example was a framework for my larger question.

I love Silverback, and IF he is switched to RT and preforms well then I would have no problem with it. Honestly as long as a player goes out and plays to the best of their ability week in and week out, it doesn't matter, IMO, how much we pay them.

If the LT picked number four in the draft isn't an All Pro at that position, I'd certainly be disappointed. I was disappointed in his play last year, and hoping he might rebound this season.

With his injury history, I'm just hoping that Brown plays anywhere well enough and long enough to justify a five-year deal.

actually Trent is the prototypical Right tackle. I remember people debating, myself included, that Okung would be the best fit because he was the prototypical Left tackle as scouts said.

The great thing about trent though is he so bloody athletic he can play both sides well. And people who knock shanny's drafting should take a look at the risk he took taking trent over Okung (I was a shanny hater) Not only was shanny right but Trent is actually better than Okung because of the blocking scheme shanny runs. Okung is doing well but Trent went against Top tier Defensive ends last season and shut down a couple of them.

But I would be surprised to see shanny switch Williams after doing a solid job last season.

Okung was a lot better than Trent last year, but had more nagging injury problems.

Okung also had a better OL around him too.

And he probably didn't face the top NFL pass rushers like TW did week in and week out.

Guy had to bring his lunchbox to work every day... and they still took it

I wouldn't mind it for a few years but it will need to be addressed. If it comes down to not being able to resign a stud like Orakpo due to Trent's contract, we need to find a replacement at a cheaper price or restructure his contract.

Let Trent stay at LT. He was drafted for that purpose, and needs to serve in that capacity. As a rookie, he had an up and down season. He needs to improve his footwork, strength, and the ability to protect a speed bull rush.

This is a very negative thread . It is kind of pre-empting/ almost hoping that Williams struggles to justify the need to discuss this kind of thing . There was an air of disappoinment when Williams came into camp ripped and humble after missing the players socials earlier in the season so those who dredged up his apparent work ethic issues at UT couldn't carry on kicking the kid .

The idea of switching him over comes from the same people who think it is a great idea to trade half the team for 4-5 round picks and if a starter is older than 23 then they are too damn old - and heven forbid if anyone shows any support for any of the players on the team then they are blind homers .

If Williams was strugling and there were real concerns about him coming from the coaching staff then I understand this thread - as it stands we may as well be asking would you be dissapointed if we ended up having to use Ryan Kerrigan as a punter ....

I also cannot believe some would have rather had Eric Berry ....... as great as he is but seriously secondary over the trenches is how we got here ...

Wherever he fits best and excels..I don't really care. I'd rather he be moved and the line be solid than him stay in a spot based on what he was paid and the line suffers. (hypothetically if that were the case) But it would be a little disappointing based on the draft position.

This is a very negative thread . It is kind of pre-empting/ almost hoping that Williams struggles to justify the need to discuss this kind of thing . There was an air of disappoinment when Williams came into camp ripped and humble after missing the players socials earlier in the season so those who dredged up his apparent work ethic issues at UT couldn't carry on kicking the kid .

The idea of switching him over comes from the same people who think it is a great idea to trade half the team for 4-5 round picks and if a starter is older than 23 then they are too damn old - and heven forbid if anyone shows any support for any of the players on the team then they are blind homers .

If Williams was strugling and there were real concerns about him coming from the coaching staff then I understand this thread - as it stands we may as well be asking would you be dissapointed if we ended up having to use Ryan Kerrigan as a punter ....

I also cannot believe some would have rather had Eric Berry ....... as great as he is but seriously secondary over the trenches is how we got here ...

You going for the record? I counted five strawman arguments in first three paragraphs.

Very disappointed. To date, he's turned out to be a pretty solid second round pick. The problem? We took him at number 4 in the first.

Like Carlos, he seems to be okay being a minor disappointment.

Show me something. Wake up at 4 am every morning, and run sprints. Impress us if you really want to be a great one. Unlike 21, RIP, I don't see it.

It just so happened the Left Tackle class was somewhat weak when we drafted him. Same with Chris Samuels. Now, I'm not saying they were bad players, or even less than good, but when we had such high picks with intent on draftin O-Line, there wasn't a Walter Jones, Tony Boseli, etc.

If we can find a dominant LT, we should move Trent... if it wouldn't hurt his ego. He did just buy himself new bling...

Archived