Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

what's the status on rocky mcintosh?

jaydean

Perry Riley is going to be a beast for us this year.. mark that. He's a fast and big linebacker. All he needs to do now is continue to improve his mental game.

The coaches have a lot of faith in him from what I hear. He's playing with the first team in training camp right now.

Check the stats my friends, Rocky had 110 tackles last year, London had 138 and most say London doesn't fit the 3-4 sceme either. We probably don't resign him but looking outside of the players we already have on the team would be foolish. I'd love to see him back at a team friendly contract but he wants more money than he deserves and will end up a back up some where else.

Check the stats my friends, Rocky had 110 tackles last year, London had 138 and most say London doesn't fit the 3-4 sceme either. We probably don't resign him but looking outside of the players we already have on the team would be foolish. I'd love to see him back at a team friendly contract but he wants more money than he deserves and will end up a back up some where else.

Stats need to be interpreted in context. However, you're right in that neither McIntosh nor Fletcher are a natural fit for the 3-4. In the same respect you're wrong in your thinking that being only 28 tackles apart means they're both equally needed in this defense. Fletcher's a lot more football smart, plays sideline to sideline, commands his space, and is a hell of a lot more consistent. The last 3 do not describe Rocky McIntosh...hence Fletcher is good enough to hold his own in the scheme, and McIntosh is not. He's a great 4-3 OLB, and someone will get a bargain deal when they sign him.

I wasn't comparing the two just pointing out that Rocky play wasn't a that bad considering our pour line play. In any defense it comes down to making the play. Did Rocky miss some play yes but there was numerous factors that should be considered and the DL play was one of the biggest contributors to our ineffective defense. Your right when it comes to London; he plays great in any system but I believe that with Coach Lou teaching the LB corps we will eventually groom our type of LB as they do in Pittsburg. I'm not a proponent of signing FA LB to fill a hole in which we could possibly fill from within.

Purely conjecture here, but I think we're letting free agents that think they're worth more than they are test the markets and come back to us when they're ready to accept a contract they're worth to play here. McIntosh probably falls into this category with guys like Brown (who seems to have come around) and Rogers.

Purely conjecture here, but I think we're letting free agents that think they're worth more than they are test the markets and come back to us when they're ready to accept a contract they're worth to play here. McIntosh probably falls into this category with guys like Brown (who seems to have come around) and Rogers.

Couldn't disagree more. Rocky simply looked out of place last season and has no business playing in a 3-4. I would rather give a younger guy who doesn't have the injury issues that Rocky does like Riley and see what he can do, instead of re-signing an older vet like Rocky that just doesn't belong in D.C. anymore.

My thoughts exactly, I remember him being a tackling machine last year leading the defense in tackles next to Fletcher and Landry. I don't see a problem with bringing him back if he is tackling anything that moves on the field? Some of you guys go too far to dismiss every player as a non fit. I'm not saying Rocky is an ultimate beast, but he is a player I'd love to have back.

The only thing that tackle stat truly indicates is he has a nose for the football. It doesn't indicate where those tackles occured. Despite his tackle totals, he's not a fit for the 3-4. I'd be willing to bet (and if anyone can find the stats on this, it would be great, because this is pure conjecture) that many of his tackles were made well past the line of scrimmage. Rocky is a good linebacker in a 4-3, don't get it twisted. He's a good tackler. Your linebackers (and SS in our case) are usually going to be the leading tackler on a 3-4 defense. the DL's job is to occupy blockers to free the backers. It doesn't mean they're a schematical fit.

I agree that Rocky doesn't fit the 3-4 nearly as well as the 4-3, and that it appears we have no interest in him. Similar sentiments for Rogers.

What I'm surprised about is that I haven't heard of hardly any other teams showing any interest in either McIntosh or Rogers. Surely they're both capable of starting and contributing to many teams, right?!

---------- Post added August-1st-2011 at 03:48 PM ----------

I'll add Andre Carter to that list. Haven't heard anything about him.

Archived