Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Williams cut....so long....:-(

polywog999

thumbnail.aspx?q=1034871975618&id=e39810efe85863d45687b2314a3ae01e

http://redskinshogheaven.com/2011-articles/july/redskins-friday-update-beck-and-grossman-competition-shanahan-on-mcnabb-kerrigan-landry-injured-injured-mike-williams-missing.html

Hog Heaven readers have been searching the site for news about Mike Williams, the tackle/guard/center friend and Texas Longhorn teammate of Derrick Dockery. Williams, you recall, weighed 410 pounds when he joined the Redskins in 2009. He lost 70 pounds to play on the offensive line, but struggled after being out of football for two years. Mike Shanahan extended his contract for two years in March 2010. A blood clot near his heart caused Williams to miss the entire season.

With Casey Rabach released, I wondered how Williams' competition with Kory Lichtensteiger and Will Montgomery for starting center would go. I asked via Twitter CSNWashington's Rich Tandler and NFL.com's Ed Sheahin whether Williams was on the field at training camp. He was not. Both Tandler and Sheahin suspect Williams is done here, though he is still on the team roster.

Sorry, Mike Williams fans. It's not looking good. Even if Williams were perfectly healthy, he would have long odds to make the team. Williams profiles as a straight-ahead blocker in the mold of the original Hogs. Mike Shanahan's zone blocking scheme calls for linemen who of lighter, quicker and more mobile like G Chris Chester who joined the team yesterday. We don't know how Williams fits until he practices, but I suspect the team will move on from Williams as they did with his friend Doc.

UPDATE: Rich Tandler and John Keim tweeted Saturday afternoon that the Redskins released Mike Williams. Keim added "that Mike is still dealing with the blood clots and wasn't in position to play. too bad; good guy & a good story."

Redskins free agent DB Phillip Buchanon Tweeted Saturday that he is negotiating with the Redskins, New York Jets and Arizona Cardinals on a new contract. Buchanon signed a one-year contract with the 'Skins at the beginning of last season.

Click link for more....

What can I say - I'm sucker for feel good stories.

The cowgirls over/under on wins is 9? Pfft. With the offseason they've had, why would ANYONE think they'd be better than last year? Hype machine at it again. I can't believe the bookmakers in Vegas would set it there. I'd take the under

Any thoughts on Big Mike?

Sorry to hear all of Mikes hard work doesn't mean he will get to play some football. I was really looking forward to seeing him be one of the big stories of the year.

Hopefully the blessing comes in other ways to Mike [such as better health for his familys sake].

Any thoughts on Big Mike?

sure. I'll second what Keim said- good guy, good story. Was definitely rooting for him. Would love to see someone pick him up when/if hes's ever able to play again, though I doubt it will happen. Last year he seemed like a good ambassador for the skins- even though he doesn't have strong ties with the skins, maybe he could be hired in some sort of ambassador/community outreach role

I never did get the cult following Williams achieved amongst the fanbase.

Sure, it was a feel good story back in '09 when he shed all those pounds and made the team. But the dude's been one of the biggest (no pun intended) draft busts in history. Even when he made the field here at guard, he wasn't playing upto tthat 'feel good' hype if truth be told.

I sincerely hope he keeps the weight off and overcomes his health problems. But not having him on the roster is a major bonus going forward. Even without the health issues.

Hail.

I never did get the cult following Williams achieved amongst the fanbase.

Sure, it was a feel good story back in '09 when he shed all those pounds and made the team. But the dude's been one of the biggest (no pun intended) draft busts in history. Even when he made the field here at guard, he wasn't playing upto tthat 'feel good' hype if truth be told.

I sincerely hope he keeps the weight off and overcomes his health problems. But not having him on the roster is a major bonus going forward. Even without the health issues.

Hail.

Big mike was a hero to lots of people - not because of what he accomplished as a player, but what he tried to accomplish.

He was very easy to root for. :helmet:

I mean....I really hope he is ok, but I never understood the whole "he is a steal and he will be great for us thing". He never really did anything here and is done playing...I just never understood what everyone saw in him.

I mean....I really hope he is ok, but I never understood the whole "he is a steal and he will be great for us thing". He never really did anything here and is done playing...I just never understood what everyone saw in him.

Me either. He was a bum and he remained a bum.

~Bang

Big mike was a hero to lots of people - not because of what he accomplished as a player, but what he tried to accomplish.

He was very easy to root for. :helmet:

Well said. Some people always need to be negative nellies around here.

---------- Post added July-31st-2011 at 11:56 PM ----------

He was never that good to begin with. They can get plenty of bodys for camp.

Because we are so deep at G for training camp with great players right?

Right?

I'm only saying this because we've had much worse players in camp than Big Mike. Either way, I hope he gets healthy soon.

Archived