Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Just maybe. If only Beck doesn't suck :)

Art

People are insane. Jason Campbell can trot out there and take a beating, and look awful. Bring in McNabb, same thing. The main reason being that the Oline was awful, and neither QB excelled with quick decisions. Yet somehow both get credit just for playing the games, even if poorly. I'm not saying Beck is the answer, but you people act like we're coming from having a good QB. Aside from the first few games of the season when McNabb was healthy enough to scramble, we didn't have good QB play. The bar should be low for whoever the QB is, imo.

Right now, we have no starting caliber RG or RT. That's a bigger issue to me, because if Beck isn't getting it done, Shanny WILL pull him. I doubt he will play that badly, as he'll likely be used as a game manager, but worst case scenario meltdown Beck isn't even playing. I don't mind Grossman either.

People have some kind of fear that John Beck will be given the Jason Campbell treatment and keep the team in mediocrity for years. I really doubt it myself, he'll have a shorter string than McNabb did.

About John Beck:

I keep reading opinions that he's either going to boom or bust. I don't know how the mediocre option has been eliminated from his future possibilities. The worst result would be mediocre.

Mike has to give Beck strong preference to win the job if it's a competition with Rex because Rex has proven his mediocrity. So, Rex would have to be clearly better to win the job.

If John Beck delivers an above average performance, the Skins would plug their most important gap at a rock-bottom price. That would be a huge break.

I would say outside this board, 90% of the reports or so expect him to be a bust, guess will see. Don't get why mediocre would be worse then him stinking? Is it because you are afraid Shanny would live with mediocre or we'd have too high a draft pick to find an apt replacement in the draft.

Personally, i got no clue about Beck. I do think most of the NFL pundit types are too harsh on Beck -- they are presuming he's going to stink based on 4 starts early in his career on the worst Dolphin team of all time.

Guys, I have learned to face it since the end of last season. We are going to suck HARD for the next few seasons at least. Our division is just too brutal. Our offense already sucked last year, and we've made some minor (let me stress the word minor here) improvements with Hankerson and some 5th round RB's. We're gonna try and go up against Nnamdi, Asante, and Dominique with our offense? And that's just one of the teams in the division. I think it's going to be another long and painful year, maybe even worse. Ugh.

I would say outside this board, 90% of the reports or so expect him to be a bust, guess will see. Don't get why mediocre would be worse then him stinking? Is it because you are afraid Shanny would live with mediocre or we'd have too high a draft pick to find an apt replacement in the draft.
The 2012 draft: 3-13 would be better for our future than 8-8 without a mediocre QB.
Personally, i got no clue about Beck. I do think most of the NFL pundit types are too harsh on Beck -- they are presuming he's going to stink based on 4 starts early in his career on the worst Dolphin team of all time.
The media types think in sound bites and jump on bandwagons. I see what Jaws and Mike like about John Beck.

I like the fact that Mike is showing that he doesn't care about being second-guessed. There are lots of reasons to root for him to be right about John Beck.

About John Beck:

I keep reading opinions that he's either going to boom or bust. I don't know how the mediocre option has been eliminated from his future possibilities. The worst result would be mediocre.

Mike has to give Beck strong preference to win the job if it's a competition with Rex because Rex has proven his mediocrity. So, Rex would have to be clearly better to win the job.

If John Beck delivers an above average performance, the Skins would plug their most important gap at a rock-bottom price. That would be a huge break.

I'm with you on this one, if he does an average job, and additions to the o line give him time to actually look down field, without fearing for his life, we may have a decent season, at this point anything above 8 wins I would be happy. This will be the second year for the 3-4 and it usually takes 2 years for it to take hold, a finish on defense even in the middle of the pack should give us a couple more wins than we had last year. A better o-line should help also. I'm hoping this year for 8-8 and expect us to be very competitive next year.

Time will tell. Patience is a virtue most Redskins fans, including myself, lack.

We've made the playoffs 3 times in the last 18 years and we're still around rooting for this team. I actually think our fan base is very patient.

It all comes down to the quarterback. We really needed to rebuild after the disasterous '98 season. Instead we got Brad Johnson and won the division. It was a short term win (and possible not worth the draft picks) but a good QB goes a long way and can turn rebuilding around quick. (which leads to the impatience you mention)

I am optimistic that with the potential talent we have around Beck, he can be a game-manager, and not a game-changer, and play just well enough to win, and not make disastrous mistakes.

No offense...

But what the **** are you talking about?!? Potential talent? Our offense right now is looking even worse than it did last year. Hankerson and some 5th round RB's more than likely aren't going to come in and drastically turn things around on offense. I can see the defense drastically improving, but what... if anything... have we improved on offense that will allow Beck to simply be a game manager?

No offense...

But what the **** are you talking about?!? Potential talent? Our offense right now is looking even worse than it did last year. Hankerson and some 5th round RB's more than likely aren't going to come in and drastically turn things around on offense. I can see the defense drastically improving, but what... if anything... have we improved on offense that will allow Beck to simply be a game manager?

RB-our RB situation last year, outside of a few good games by torrain (who i like), was really bad. i expect that to be better. even if its helu who does it (partly cuz it couldnt get much worse).

WR- our WR situation wasnt good. moss is a plus. a healthy kelly (yes i know thats not a given) will be a plus. AA will be solid. hankerson should be a plus.

OL- i expect chester to be a solid guard. monty looked good at C last year. TW will have a year under his belt and should be better. RT (harris or brown, either way) will be better.

TE- they are $

yes, our QB is a ?, but he wasnt so good last year. with a better D and better weapons around him, we'll be in games. just like we were last year.

---------- Post added July-29th-2011 at 11:11 PM ----------

People are insane. Jason Campbell can trot out there and take a beating, and look awful. Bring in McNabb, same thing. The main reason being that the Oline was awful, and neither QB excelled with quick decisions. Yet somehow both get credit just for playing the games, even if poorly. I'm not saying Beck is the answer, but you people act like we're coming from having a good QB. Aside from the first few games of the season when McNabb was healthy enough to scramble, we didn't have good QB play. The bar should be low for whoever the QB is, imo.

Right now, we have no starting caliber RG or RT. That's a bigger issue to me, because if Beck isn't getting it done, Shanny WILL pull him. I doubt he will play that badly, as he'll likely be used as a game manager, but worst case scenario meltdown Beck isn't even playing. I don't mind Grossman either.

People have some kind of fear that John Beck will be given the Jason Campbell treatment and keep the team in mediocrity for years. I really doubt it myself, he'll have a shorter string than McNabb did.

i think i agree with all of this.

i do think that we'll have either brown or harris at RT and lich at RG and i'm ok with that.

I didn't see this as really negative. I think its pretty accurate. We are so stunned to sign guys we don't "know". We can say "he didn't even start in Baltimore" but maybe that is because he was on a world class defense, is young and was about to pop on that defense. That's how almost every player who wasn't drafted in the top 10 makes a name for themselves. Believe it or not some players become the "name" while on your team!! Desean Jackson, Tom Brady, Clay Mathews, Aaron Rodgers, Hines Ward, Larry Fitzgerald etc were all once "unknowns" and became "knowns" on the team they are on right now!! It does happen. . . . for well run teams. We don't have alot of luck at bringing in superstars who became superstars somewhere else. In fact, I m willing to say that those players come here to get paid and die until recently. So I am all for trying to scout well and find guys about to become names in the league while on our team. I am willing to see if Jarvis Jenkins, leonard Hankerson, Ryan Kerrigan or a Helu will become a star as a skin.

I am willing to see if Josh Wilson is able to go from being the small fish in the fierce baltimore ocean to become the big fish and instill that mindset here. I am willing to let chester who playesd over 30 games in the last 3 years finish his growth right here in DC. I am willing to let otogwe (who is as close to a star as we got) finish his impressive career right here in washington instead of Kareem Moore who clearly lacks the talent. I am willing to sign Landy long term if he is healthy. Same with RAK.

We need more London Fletchers and less Albert Haynesworths. I think we are on our way to that. I also hope the critics are wrong about Beck. But if not, I am fine with adding the young stud QB and #1 reciever next year when Lord willing there is a fraction of needs for this team. We are going the right direction. I really believe that.

Oversized OP

Beck can do it, but we all know how it has to be done. Via a viable OL and dominant D. We are building up the D. Now its the OL's turn.

He only needs to not lose it for us. Grossman made it to the bowl. Rypien was an MVP. Anything can happen.

Thanks for the read! It's why I'm excited about this year! Myself "I LIKE SHANAHAN" and couldn't believe Denver let him go...

I really like the direction we're headed, like the moves and Beck has impressed Shanahan... I still think we'll hear Carson Palmer is a Redskin!

I'm basing that on the fact that he has three more NFL apperances than he does NFL cuts.

There are 20 good QBs in the NFL at the moment. I find it very difficult to imagine that John Beck has a chance to be great considering he has been sitting out there for five years...like a couch at the end of a driveway...and no one has taken him.

Remember when Spurrier was going to make Wuerffel a star? Because no one had given him a "chance?" The NFL screws a lot of things up' date=' but it usually finds the QBs who can play.[/b']

I think that's a fair assumption to make but you err by assuming that Beck's time spent on the bench and lack of playing time somehow automatically disqualifies him from being one of those QBs. Some QBs need time to rise to the level of the professional game. For others, it's just a matter of waiting for a real opportunity or falling into the right situation. Just look at Rich Gannon and Kurt Warner.

As fans, we have no first hand evidence to support the idea that Beck can succeed in the NFL and the odds are very much stacked against him. A little blind optimism never hurt anyone, though.

So go watch DeAngelo Hall's interview that's up currently on redskins.com. Specifically, the 2:10 mark where he's asked about Beck's leadership. Look at his reaction :ols: :ols:

I've seen more convincing attempts at blaming farts on the dog.

One thing pointed out in the OP, is that there isn't one guy we signed who you can point to and pencil him in at a starting player on this team. Most of these guys were not starters where they came from and it is an open question if they will be starters here. The good side of things is that we can say that because they have competition. The same can be said for Beck.

While Art has zero confidence in him, my level of confidence is undefined. All we know was that he was thrown to the wolves as a rookie on one of the worst teams in the NFL. That tells us nothing about his ability to lead an NFL team. The same goes for him getting dismissed by the new regime in Miami, and his limited preseason playing time. I have no clue if Beck will be any good or not.

That being said, I hope the confidence Shanahan in the OL that are returning from last year is well founded, because if it isn't, it doesn't matter who is back there.

I thought it was a joke at first, but I'm starting to buy in. I'll definitely be rooting for him.

1.) Everyone thinks he's going to fail - same people that predict the Cowboys to win the SuperBowl every year.

2.) Getting tired of the "we need to tank the season to draft luck" talk - I hope we never draft luck! I seriously hate hearing his name now lol Luck Sucks!.

3.) Shanny and the players believe in him - that's good enough for me. D.Hall said Beck was asking him to tell him when he was tipping him off - it's just little things like that I like hearing. etc.. Damn, I just think we finally get a coach with some balls - let's give him more than one year!

4.) I like his command of the huddle, work ethic, and I love his drive and passion for the game. He looks the part.

In my opinion, Beck isn't going to be as big as of a joke as some are thinking.

Interesting article: http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2011/07/06/emerging-nfl-talents-qb-john-beck-redskins/#comment-147

Sign me up for the Beck Bandwagon!

I'm just sick of this scenario playing out....

Host mentions anything about the Skins ----> retired player/coach & now "analyst" makes Beck joke even if completely unrelated ------> everyone on the set gets a nice chuckle ----> show moves on to next topic

...Rediculous.

Lets go Beck.

Archived