Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS: Phone withdrawal has physical impact: expert

China

Phone withdrawal has physical impact: expert

For many people, old-fashioned tools like maps, cameras, books, and even iPods have been replaced and integrated into one small device, the smartphone.

But now, there's concern among psychologists that the growing number of people who favor smartphones over face-to-face interaction, might be suffering from a form of addiction, CBS News correspondent Betty Nguyen reports.

New York City public relations executive, Matthew Berritt, 32, admits he's hooked.

"To be honest, I'm never without it. I know I'm addicted, because I know without it, I do have withdrawal," he said.

But Berritt isn't the only one living his life almost completely online.

Around the world, smartphone sales have exploded. In 2010, an estimated 302 million devices were sold. By 2016, that number is expected to hit one billion. And, as those devices become more integrated in people's lives, psychologists say smartphone users are in danger of becoming addicted.

According to Dr. Michael Dow, an addiction expert, "The more connected we are the less we're connecting."

Experts like Dow say that too much smartphone use, not only cause people to disconnect from reality, but smartphone withdrawal can cause physical symptoms, such as anxiety, insomnia, and even depression.

Click on the link for the full article

Like with cigs/alcohol/drugs those with weak willpower will be addicted.

I use it for work email, and the GPS for a couple bucks with voice activated turns is extremely nice. (saves a few hundred).

but i have no problems going outside and 'doing'.

Like with cigs/alcohol/drugs those with weak willpower will be addicted.
Addiction has nothing to do with "willpower", the addict's brain is actually wired to his addiction. For most people our age, it's nothing to leave the phone alone for hours or even days. For younger people, it's not just the phone, it's the desire to interact all the time. Their brain cannot fathom the world where they are "disconnected".

Addiction has nothing to do with "willpower", the addict's brain is actually wired to his addiction. For most people our age, it's nothing to leave the phone alone for hours or even days. For younger people, it's not just the phone, it's the desire to interact all the time. Their brain cannot fathom the world where they are "disconnected".

I would say a minute few maybe: Stopping all 3 has been accomplished by ??? 60% ???? of the people due to wanting to quit.

I started smoking at 17 in the Army and quit at 34 when my 2nd daughter was born = a reason + willpower.

I don't see being addicted to a phone as being a problem. People are people and want/do the same things, the technology is just different.

For example, 20 years ago, you might have wanted to read the paper, talk to your friend on the phone to catch up, then go listen to a CD and relax, and finally pop on the TV to see if your favorite baseball team won tonight. People still want to generally do those same things, they can just do them all from one device. So, is the "withdrawal" any different today than if someone would have come in and took away someone's newspapers, land lines, music collections, and TV 20 years ago?

I would say a minute few maybe: Stopping all 3 has been accomplished by ??? 60% ???? of the people due to wanting to quit.

I started smoking at 17 in the Army and quit at 34 when my 2nd daughter was born = a reason + willpower.

You wrote in the original post that those without willpower will be addicted. Has nothing to do with willpower. You could smoke for a 100 years and never become addicted. Another person could smoke a single cigarette and become an addict.

According the American Lung Association about 30% of cigarette smokers who want to quit actually do.

If you can quit easily without withdrawal symptoms you probably were not an addict.

You wrote in the original post that those without willpower will be addicted. Has nothing to do with willpower. You could smoke for a 100 years and never become addicted. Another person could smoke a single cigarette and become an addict.

According the American Lung Association about 30% of cigarette smokers who want to quit actually do.

If you can quit easily without withdrawal symptoms you probably were not an addict.

Me like others quit 43x before finally ending it. And i felt it after, its not 'sometimes' addicting nicotine ;)

Archived