Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How serious do you take your drumming ?

Mickalino

I got some of those silent Pearl Rhythm Traveler drumheads last week. They're nice! Like them very much. Goes without saying that they're very quiet, but if you want them to be as silent as possible you'll have to mess with the muffling. I put a regular bed pillow in the bass drum, damn thing is so quiet. I have to switch to the birch snare so it's even more quiet, but it's still great on the metal one. Good to work new techniques on these things, as nobody will know you messed up. :)

Over the years I've found much more of an appreciation for those who are great at grooving with incredible accenting. Right now I'm studying this video religiously, so many good things to learn!

Yeah that's one of the most classic pure drumming videos out there. I like how all three of their styles are all a lot different. Weckl, the clear phrasing jazz man with a mullet, Gadd the classic rock 'n roller with a fro, Colaiuta the spastic fusion nerd with a superman costume under his suit. I used to watch this video all the dang time back in the day :ols: Same concert:

5jUIHqCIIO4

Love this stuff...can watch it for hours...cut my teeth on Krupa, Rich, Bellson etc...love to see the art move forward each generation while still respecting the past giants...too cool. :)

Maybe time soon to bump Om's old percussion thread. :)

DSR, my first complete kit (1969) was a gorgeous Pearl gold & black gloss tiger-stripe/swirl finish.... to this day one of the most beautiful looks I've seen. Ah, nostalgia...someday I need to dig up & download a pic of it form back then (at great risk to showing myself as a 15 yo :ols:)

You got a video of your own on youtube, doublestroke ?

I've always meant to get one up but I haven't been filmed in years. Thanks for reminding me though!

---------- Post added July-28th-2011 at 01:33 AM ----------

DSR, my first complete kit (1969) was a gorgeous Pearl gold & black gloss tiger-stripe/swirl finish.... to this day one of the most beautiful looks I've seen. Ah, nostalgia...someday I need to dig up & download a pic of it form back then (at great risk to showing myself as a 15 yo :ols:)

Ooo that sounds Purdy (not Bernard). My Pearl set was solid black for years, then one day I pealed off the wraps and played 'er naked. I had wood Beavis. Decided to put the wraps back on after a few years and painted them red. Spray painted the rims silver (which got rid of the natural chrome shine). Meh, that marked about the end for my old Pearl, learned my way on that thing.

I collected cymbals over the course of my late teens, stupid buys. Paiste Signature crash, couple of Ziljian A Custom crashes, Zildjian Z Custom Heavy Ride. Stupid mix, it's one thing I really regret. I liked the way they sounded alone, and didn't test them in the mix first. I should have returned them right away, however they were my new toys, they were fresh. As time went on it was painfully obvious they just didn't mix well together.

The Paiste Signature lays in the corner of the room. I don't even want to talk about it.

Anyway, the Pearl drum set ran its course after the paint job. Got a Tama Birch Starclassic about 6 years ago. She needs to be mic'd up for louder music, but if I tune her just right she hums like an angel.

Picture008-1.jpg

Tama's some First Cabin stuff and that's an absolutely stunning look on that kit---you're making me drool. :drooley:

And I went though almost exactly the same trip on my cymbal experiences---****ing drummers. :ols:

BTW, you know the "sushi story" (attributed to Steve Vai) about Vinnie playing for Frank Zappa with Terry Bozzio in the room? Someone told me it was on a wiki page (I dunno if under Zappa or Vinnie or what) but I first heard it from Dale Bozzio in Ashland Oregon at a club called Brooklyn's in the early 80's when they were in Missing Persons. It's just a helluva testimonial to the Vinnie's phenomenal ability and his music-reading/understanding skills. :cool:

I collected cymbals over the course of my late teens, stupid buys. Paiste Signature crash, couple of Ziljian A Custom crashes, Zildjian Z Custom Heavy Ride. Stupid mix, it's one thing I really regret. I liked the way they sounded alone, and didn't test them in the mix first. They sounded great at first because they were new, they were fresh, but as time went on they just didn't mix well.

You need some Sabians to make that complete :)

I can't wait to get out of my apartment so I can finally set my kit back up. Even more so I can't wait to have the free cash around to put together a new kit, I've never gotten to do that before. I feel like I'll take months just looking at makes and woods and finishes and sizes and plies before I can even narrow it down.

I just picked up an 80's Tama rocker drum kit from a friend of mine yesterday. Gonna give it a shot and take a break from the bass.

---------- Post added July-28th-2011 at 09:34 AM ----------

My favorite drummer and very underrated, because of being in bands like Descendants, ALL and Black Flag, is Bill Stevenson.

Archived