Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Speed Traps

TheGoodBits

Anyone else gotten a ticket where you felt absolutely taken advantage of?

I was looking up the info of who to make my check out to, googled "Nichols, SC," and came up with a ton of results for it being a notorious speed trap. Just minding my business on the way home from the beach at 9am on a Saturday, doing a comfortable speed on a 4 lane road when I get pulled over. Apparently I was doing the breakneck speed of 46 in a 35, so of course the cop didn't even think of giving me a warning. Just wrote the ticket quick so I could be on my way and now I'm $133 poorer.

As I drive away, I notice the 55mph speed limit sign no more than 200 yards past where I was pulled over. Really pissed me off. Anyway, just felt like ranting.

Yea, they get you on those speed limit changes, and they're also notorious for hiding at the bottom of a decline in the road, where your car naturally speeds up if you're not careful.

2 Things can deter this

1) Cruise Control

2) GPS - which tells you the speed limit if there's ever a doubt, although it's not always accurate

I can tell you that when cops do speed control its generally is mandated time and place by the higher ups or traffic division from civilian complaints or accidents. If it is a mandated assignment then the enforcement action is an infraction or summons.. No written or verbal warnings.

However if a cop is just doing enforcement on his own then there will generally more differences in his/her discretion depending on the violation... As for taxes and revenue collecting, it is a way for states to make more money however, there is no goverment person telling cops to increase infractions.. If they wanted to make more money they would just increase the infraction amount not tell cops to issue more infractions

I can tell you that when cops do speed control its generally is mandated time and place by the higher ups or traffic division from civilian complaints or accidents. If it is a mandated assignment then the enforcement action is an infraction or summons.. No written or verbal warnings.

However if a cop is just doing enforcement on his own then there will generally more differences in his/her discretion depending on the violation... As for taxes and revenue collecting, it is a way for states to make more money however, there is no goverment person telling cops to increase infractions.. If they wanted to make more money they would just increase the infraction amount not tell cops to issue moinfractions

This guy was just driving the other way, and was the chief of police. So he just felt like being a dick.

---------- Post added July-27th-2011 at 09:28 PM ----------

maybe you won't go 31% faster than the speed limit next time.

Or 20% lower than what the speed limit should have been, and changed to immediately thereafter?

what a world it would be if we could all just determine what the speed limit should have been. lol

sorry officer, but i think the speed limit should be 72. so really, my 69 in a 45 is really 3 mph under my recommendation for this stretch of highway. have a blessed day.

you got pulled over by the chief of police? and you were just speeding?

My old chief got his jollies going out and running radar sometimes too. (Which can be done as an opposing vehicle comes toward you as well, not just stationary.)

Personally, I hated running traffic. If I pulled you over, I was looking for something more.

For the first time in my life, I've seen "emissions traps" here in Denver.

On a lot of on ramps to the highway, they have a little sensor machine with a bar that sticks out towards the road with smog sensors. If your car drives by and poops out a bad reading, there is a camera sitting next to the sensor unit and it snaps a pic of your license plate. Crazy.

For the first time in my life, I've seen "emissions traps" here in Denver.

On a lot of on ramps to the highway, they have a little sensor machine with a bar that sticks out towards the road with smog sensors. If your car drives by and poops out a bad reading, there is a camera sitting next to the sensor unit and it snaps a pic of your license plate. Crazy.

Damn I guess things have changed since I left. Colorado use to only care about emissions on diesel trucks.

Anyone else seen these cameras they have on cop cars now (on the sides on the rear) that read people's license plates randomly as they drive by and do checks on them?

Oh and it's utter bull**** that the amount of fines for traffic violations isn't based on offenders income, btw.

Anyone else seen these cameras they have on cop cars now (on the sides on the rear) that read people's license plates randomly as they drive by and do checks on them?

Oh and it's utter bull**** that the amount of fines for traffic violations isn't based on offenders income, btw.

I thought it was illegal to run someone's plates without cause.

If I make $300 a week and you make $3000 a week, and we both get a speeding ticket for going 10 over, how is it fair that we both get fined $100? Am I not being punished more severely? Is it really a deterent to you?

Good Lord.

I wish liberalism was an actual human being that I could just kick repeatedly in the face.

If I make $300 a week and you make $3000 a week, and we both get a speeding ticket for going 10 over, how is it fair that we both get fined $100? Am I not being punished more severely? Is it really a deterent to you?

that, my friend, is called a regressive tax.

Archived