Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Any Classic MTV Fans Out There?

DM72

This weekend on VH1 Classic, they will be celebrating MTV's 30th anniversary by showing classic MTV (including the very first hour) all weekend through Monday.

Just thought some would be interested to know.

Not just that, but classic moments with the VJ's and classic "I WANT MY MTV" ads.

I was going to say that I thought they showed those vids all the time on that channel.

I guess if you are having an 80's party this weekend, it may work. Otherwise, seems like the same stuff they always show.

Wait, why isn't MTV doing this? I guess those Jersey Shore and Teen Mom re-runs are better :doh:

I hear you, but since the VH1 networks and MTV are owned by the same companies, VH1 Classic pretty much gets all the classic shows and specials.

My parents first got "cable" in 1985 - which meant that we got ESPN, MTV, Lifetime, BET (I think), CBN, Nickelodeon, and I want to say Discovery but that doesn't sound correct. I'm sure there were a few more but all I watched were ESPN (wrestling and Australian Rules football) and MTV.

The first video I ever saw on MTV in my own home was...."Oh Sherry" by Steve Perry.

I shoulda been gone!

As much as MTV's programming blows, it makes money, lots of it. And with MTV2, MTVU, MTVJAMS (lol) and the VH1's, there's already several stations to watch music videos so it makes little sense for them to spend half their time showing music videos. Plus them interwebz have everything now and then some that you didn't know about.

I will never completely understand this anger over MTV not showing videos.

It's more than not showing videos, 90% of their programming has nothing to do with music. If MTV's reality shows followed somebody legitimately in the music business, or had TV shows about musicians, there wouldn't be nearly as much fuss about it.

I remember doing things at home in the 80's with MTV on in the background.

It's the nostalgia more than anything, as this sentence states. In middle/high school, hanging out in the basement with friends doing whatever, MTV on in the background. That's what I miss about it...can't imagine doing that with the stuff they have on now. And of course, if Liquid TV or Beavis and Butthead came on, we'd pay more attention.

It would also likely have no ratings and thus cease to exist.

I'm not here to argue about ratings, which would more than likely plummet. The channel is called Music Television, they should be playing or relating to music in some fashion. Change the name to RTV if you want to show reality shows all day. If Food Network had the same schedule as MTV, people would be ****ing at them. The hate is more than deserved.

Archived