Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per JLC on NFL Network: Moss signed 3 year deal to return.

penteboss

Too bad that pic is from late in the 4th quarter and we're down 50 -0...

J/k I'm glad Moss is back!

Haha I actually think it was from the first quarter before the Footballacolypse happened...I just love it when Moss gets a first down, I would miss his hand signals. I like when players legitimately get into the game.

LOYALTY to a veteran Redskin is something we have not seen in ions. I see it as another indication that ShannAllen are determined to bring honor and glory to the franchise-despite what the Jason Reids' write. Not a huge 'Tana fan but I really like the move. Hail to the Redskins

Well said! Hopefully, the days of cutting a guy like Ryan Clark to make Adam Archaletta the highest paid safety in history are long gone....

Love that Tana will be back wearing the Burgundy and Gold.

Imo Tana gave us a great deal considering his production compared to the market.

He was a No.4 in receptions and No. 10 in yards.

Last years Kyle's offense lead by Tana was 8th in passing yards and 7th with receiving yards.

Now that we've re-signed Tana it allows Hankerson, Kelly, Austin, Paul, Banks, Robinson to add to the corps as opposed to carrying the load.

In short re-signing Moss gives a chance to have dynamic receiving corps.

Kudos to Bruce and Mike-

BEER.jpg

now if we can only get some production from that other key position in the passing game......

I have my issues with Moss but nothing that's a deal breaker. Moss being in his second year in the system helps develop continuity. And he *is* talented. But NO. I am NOT down with those first down celebrations. Save that energy and use it as motivation to get into the end zone. Then, when you have reason to, you can celebrate.

Santana Moss is a true professional. I'm glad that he re-signed with us. He's been our leading WR since 2005 and he's produced heavily in four different offenses since then. Himself being a Miami Hurricane product can help mentor Leonard Hankerson, another Miami Hurricane product.

this is a fantastic deal. there is no other 93 catch, 1115 yd receiver in the league that would sign for so little.

Moss has averaged over a thousand yards per season since coming here 6 years ago. that's an impressive feat over such a long span.

for comparison, santonio holmes only has one thousand yard season in his 5-year career.

another stat -- Moss hasn't missed a single game since 2007.

he's a reliable reciever who shows occasional flashes of brilliance, who puts up impressive numbers year in and year out, isn't overpriced, and already knows the system. this is a SMART move by the redskins front office.

I think this was a good signing, and I mean good not "great." I do like the signing, but I'm really trying to temper my reaction. I don't want to be a kill joy here but there are a few reasons why I think this signing is something short of "amazing."

1. He's 32 not 25. Now I know the guy has played 16 games each of the last 3 seasons....I'm thinking that that won't continue over the next 3 years of this deal.

2. He's coming a career-high in receptions and the second highest total of yards and touchdowns. I just don't see that happening again for the rest of his career, especially this year with no QB.

3. Despite his production, he occasionally will drop open and clutch passes(wish I had some sort of stat to back that up), but maybe one reason people argue that he's not a no. 1 receiver anymore.

Despite those things.....

His age can be looked at as a positive...he brings leadership and hopefully can help the younger guys

Character.....this guy is a is what a 'Redskin' player should be

The contract is a fair and a solid contract (Thanks Mr. Allen!)

2nd year in the new offense

Right now this signing is "good" what would make this "great" is if...and that's a big if....

He stays healthy the next 3 years

He continues to have 60+ catches and 700+ years

He moves to the slot, of course that's predicated on Anthony Armstrong continuing to develop as a number 2, or hey eventually into a number 1, and Leonard Hankerson develops into a number 1 or 2, granted he's got to improve his catching, route running, and burst off the line and after the catch ( most if not all of that is teachable.)

In order for that last one to happen.....the skins have to stay away from Santonio Holmes. Of course I know that probably won't happen.

I'm a little surprised at the reaction to possibly signing Holmes thus far....it seems as if too many are reacting like the skins are about to sign Torry Holt in his prime.

1. He has character issues

2. He's overrated and we don't need to over pay another guy to come here; despite him only being 27.

3. He's had 2 good seasons in a 5 year career and his numbers weren't that impressive last year...especially for a number 1. (Anthony Armstrong's numbers are comparable-not to mention he's cheaper and already on the roster)

I just don't get some people in the fan base clamoring for another big name free agent, just because he's this years hot commodity. I don't care if he's the best WR in the league...he's not going to do much to help us, because we need a better OL, more talent at RB (love torrain), and a QB to throw to him. Do you guys think his numbers are going to go up this year with John Beck/Rex Grossman/???? throwing him the ball? I think not. Not to mention....we need to develop those young guys we drafted....they need game experience and since we're rebuilding I don't really see what signing a guy that's going to get us 4-5 more exciting plays and 1-2 more wins is going to do for us next year. (That's if he has a good season, and isn't suspended for something)

Honestly here...why are we not treating this like a rebuilding year?? Going after all these free agents....I don't get it. I could care less about the win total the next 2 years. In fact...I would love for the skins to end up with 1-3 wins this year and land Andrew Luck in the draft...and then worry about maybe adding some more veterans in the future. I'm just trying to think long term here.

im not even sure how i feel about this, but i can say the following and mean it 100%:

when the Nike jerseys come out, im getting #89 - and it is not even close.

how can you possibly argue against this?

he is:

a) the best offensive player of the era (possibly tied with Chris Samuels)

B) willing to come back to the REDSKINS during a time of relative turmoil

c) the guy who has DESTROYED the Cowboys time and time again

no brainer. i dont care what happens from here on out. True Redskin. anyone who denies it from here on out should be banned a million times over. seriously. you cant hate this guy or you can love him, but he could have easily gone somewhere else and he wants to be here. enough said.

I'm a little surprised at the reaction to possibly signing Holmes thus far....it seems as if too many are reacting like the skins are about to sign Torry Holt in his prime.

1. He has character issues

2. He's overrated and we don't need to over pay another guy to come here; despite him only being 27.

3. He's had 2 good seasons in a 5 year career and his numbers weren't that impressive last year...especially for a number 1. (Anthony Armstrong's numbers are comparable-not to mention he's cheaper and already on the roster)

I just don't get some people in the fan base clamoring for another big name free agent, just because he's this years hot commodity. I don't care if he's the best WR in the league...he's not going to do much to help us, because we need a better OL, more talent at RB (love torrain), and a QB to throw to him. Do you guys think his numbers are going to go up this year with John Beck/Rex Grossman/???? throwing him the ball? I think not. Not to mention....we need to develop those young guys we drafted....they need game experience and since we're rebuilding I don't really see what signing a guy that's going to get us 4-5 more exciting plays and 1-2 more wins is going to do for us next year. (That's if he has a good season, and isn't suspended for something)

Honestly here...why are we not treating this like a rebuilding year?? Going after all these free agents....I don't get it. I could care less about the win total the next 2 years. In fact...I would love for the skins to end up with 1-3 wins this year and land Andrew Luck in the draft...and then worry about maybe adding some more veterans in the future. I'm just trying to think long term here.

Keep in mind that Holmes missed the first four games of the season. That skews the numbers a bit. The guy is a play maker and you can't deny that.

NFL.com is reporting on this too.

dear santana,

please make all cowboys fans miserable this year.

If he does, it won't be the first time.

Fantastic news. I don't think we need to make any other moves at receiver for this year. If Beck turns out to be a pretty good quarterback, having Moss, AA, Hankerson, and a bunch of young receivers competing for the last two spots should be fine. If Beck is garbage, adding someone like Santonio Holmes won't matter much.

I tend to agree with this. Santana Moss was the free agent WR we needed to sign, and we did. I do not think we need to add any other free agent wideouts, least of all a vet like Santonio Holmes.

Love that Tana will be back wearing the Burgundy and Gold.

Imo Tana gave us a great deal considering his production compared to the market.

He was a No.4 in receptions and No. 10 in yards.

Exactly.

this is a fantastic deal. there is no other 93 catch, 1115 yd receiver in the league that would sign for so little.

. . .

another stat -- Moss hasn't missed a single game since 2007.

he's a reliable reciever who shows occasional flashes of brilliance, who puts up impressive numbers year in and year out, isn't overpriced, and already knows the system. this is a SMART move by the redskins front office.

Right. I like that you emphasize how reliable he has been.

seriously. you cant hate this guy or you can love him, but he could have easily gone somewhere else and he wants to be here. enough said.

The fact that he wants to be here means a lot to me too.

---------- Post added July-27th-2011 at 02:37 AM ----------

1. He's 32 not 25. Now I know the guy has played 16 games each of the last 3 seasons....I'm thinking that that won't continue over the next 3 years of this deal.

2. He's coming a career-high in receptions and the second highest total of yards and touchdowns. I just don't see that happening again for the rest of his career, especially this year with no QB.

3. Despite his production, he occasionally will drop open and clutch passes(wish I had some sort of stat to back that up), but maybe one reason people argue that he's not a no. 1 receiver anymore.

I am somewhat puzzled by this whole post. Parts of it I totally agree with, and other parts not so much. I had to take this one in chunks:

1. You know he has not missed a game in 3 years, but you still doubt he will be able to stay healthy? Would it help if I reminded you he has only missed 4 games in his entire 6 year tenure here? I understand he is on the wrong side of 30 years old, but if history is any indication, he will continue to produce for a few more seasons.

2. You do not think he can be as productive as he has been, even though he is coming off one of his most productive years? Again, I understand he is getting a bit long in the tooth, but I just doubt a guy who has averaged 1000 yards a season for years will suddenly fall off a cliff.

3. I too remember some untimely drops, although without numbers that is not very persuasive. Every WR drops passes, especially when they get the number of targets Moss does. Considering the fact he was able to catch more than 90 passes last year, I would venture to say his hand are just fine.

Right now this signing is "good" what would make this "great" is if...and that's a big if....

He stays healthy the next 3 years

I agree with you to an extent, inasmuch as Moss is getting older, and he will slow down eventually. I am compelled to point out that he has been remarkably durable over the years though, so I would not go so far as to call his staying healthy a "big if."

He continues to have 60+ catches and 700+ years

I think that is setting the bar pretty low for a guy whose last 3 years look like this:

93 receptions, 1115 yards.

70 receptions, 902 yards.

79 receptions, 1044 yards.

He moves to the slot, of course that's predicated on Anthony Armstrong continuing to develop as a number 2, or hey eventually into a number 1, and Leonard Hankerson develops into a number 1 or 2, granted he's got to improve his catching, route running, and burst off the line and after the catch ( most if not all of that is teachable.)
I like the idea of moving Moss to the slot when we go 3-wide. I do not think he has to be a slot receiver though, he has been playing well on the outside for years.
the skins have to stay away from Santonio Holmes.
Totally agree about this.
I could care less about the win total the next 2 years. In fact...I would love for the skins to end up with 1-3 wins this year and land Andrew Luck in the draft...

Not this again. :doh:

Archived