Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone watch those televangelists on TV??

brandymac27

The past couple of weeks I have been watching the INSP and TBN network b/c I felt like I needed some inspiration, and when I was watching I noticed that almost all these televangelists are the most crooked people on the face of the earth.

This one guy in particular, his last name is Murdoch (can't remember his 1st name) was giving this really inspiring sermon on sowing seeds and reaping a good harvest. He was preaching this for about 30 minutes then all of a sudden he says that God told him that his mesage was only for 300 people who were supposed to call in (and specifically say they were one of the 300 people) and "plant a $1000 seed" and he kept going on about how once they planted this "seed" God would reward them with this great financial harvest.

There was ANOTHER guy who basically preached the same exact sermon and told a certain number of people to call in with a $300 donation on a totally different show.

I'm sorry, but I think people who do this (tricking people in the name of God) are scum. Now, I know they use that donation money to spread the word and (I assume help the needy), but don't tell people God will bless you financially only if you're one of the "300" who call in and make the donation.

Am I way off base here, or are these people trained extensively in sales and communication to intentionally swindle people?

I just feel like it is the crappiest thing a person/organization could do by intentionally tricking people who believe in God by saying they will be rewarded with all this "financial favor" if they send in all this money. Why send the money to these people when there are local churches that feed and clothe the needy in the community? At least this way you can actually keep a check on where your money is going and if the churches really are helping people.

In a word: no

In more than a word: Absolutely never no.

By and large, they're swindlers and teach a messed up version of what I think is the Gospel. They show 700 Club before Whose Line is it Anyway on ABC Family late at night and I always have to mute it because if I listen to one word from anyone on that program, I lose my mind.

Many of these people make absolutely mind-boggling amounts of money. Even local preachers in my area make fortunes.

Benny Hinn, one name that people may recognize, used to take a limo every week to get his haircut in my office complex. And in addition to the limo, he had two bodyguards with him at all times.

Many of these people make absolutely mind-boggling amounts of money. Even local preachers in my area make fortunes.

Benny Hinn, one name that people may recognize, takes a limo every week to get his haircut.

Just like Jesus...a man of sorrows, accustomed with grief.

Benny Hinn, one name that people may recognize, used to take a limo every week to get his haircut in my office complex. And in addition to the limo, he had two bodyguards with him at all times.

So basically, these "donations" are really feeding these peoples bank accounts? Sickening. I'm not opposed to preachers making some money for their service, but making so much money you're riding around in Limos everyday, etc is just wrong IMO.

And what about Hagee? He's still on TV even after his fiasco. I wonder how much money he's making?

Now, I know they use that donation money to spread the word and (I assume help the needy), but don't tell people God will bless you financially only if you're one of the "300" who call in and make the donation.

You can't assume that people who preach the Gospel of Greed are in it to help anybody but themselves.

Your intstincts are dead-on, IMO.

In a word: no

In more than a word: Absolutely never no.

By and large, they're swindlers and teach a messed up version of what I think is the Gospel. They show 700 Club before Whose Line is it Anyway on ABC Family late at night and I always have to mute it because if I listen to one word from anyone on that program, I lose my mind.

I watched that show once about a year ago and it drove me crazy too. And yeah, I agree w/ you on their distorted views of the Gospel, especially when they say stuff like "send in all your money and you'll hit the jackpot b/c God says "Ask and it shall be given". I dunno, maybe I'm seriously misinterpreting the Gospel or they really are scheisters (sp).

I watched that show once about a year ago and it drove me crazy too. And yeah, I agree w/ you on their distorted views of the Gospel, especially when they say stuff like "send in all your money and you'll hit the jackpot b/c God says "Ask and it shall be given". I dunno, maybe I'm seriously misinterpreting the Gospel or they really are scheisters (sp).

They're con men of the worst kind, brandymac. I can see Almighty God facepalming every time any of them opens their mouths.

It's pretty bad in many cases Brandy, and it's part of what has driven me away from the church.

I have a family member that is a monsignor. He is truly a great person who does a ton of work to help others. A very kind soul. However, something about parishoners keeping him in a new model Cadillac every year doesn't sit well with me. He really doesn't need it, and doesn't even drive that often. That money could probably be spent better in another manner.

I also see another local pastor in the Zegna clothing store--racking up many $2k suits, and sick shoes. He flat out steals from a large congregation here.

These things, along with the sex scandal against boys years ago, was it for me. I couldn't help but wonder if the money I put in the hat every week was going to help the less fortunate, or was instead going to pay for the priest's legal defense fund.

Am I way off base here

No.

, or are these people trained extensively in sales and communication to intentionally swindle people?

Many (though not all, by any means) of them are. Watch out especially for those peddling the "Prosperity Gospel", which is the idea that if you're faithful to God, He'll make you (and, surprise! The pastor too!) rich.

I don't know anything about INSP, but I know that TBN doesn't seem to have any quality controls at all. You've got to be really careful, and test anything you see against what you know to be true. It sounds like you've got a good base already.

---------- Post added July-24th-2011 at 11:41 PM ----------

Hahah just watched this today actually. Ron White stand up. Probably not safe for work.

That's the "eating cheetoes on a bean bag chair" one, isn't it? :ols:

They're con men of the worst kind, brandymac. I can see Almighty God facepalming every time any of them opens their mouths.

I know!

Now, I will say that I really like Joel Osteen. I have recently started to DVR his shows and I haven't once heard him do anything like this. The only thing that happens after his show is you are able to make a donation if you want (but they specify you can make one at your home church instead) and there's no pressure or misleading people of any kind. That I have no problem with 1- b/c he's preaching about everyday things that effect a lot of people instead of "plant a donation seed of $1000 dollars etc.", and 2- his commercials that come on after the show give you the choice of sending donations to your home church.

I will never understand how so many of them got to be so popular to begin with. It amazes me.

I hear them preaching, and then see them reaching for my wallet...it's like being mugged by a well dressed business man that just stepped out of a Ferrari.

I have an Uncle that is a Pastor. He is a much better man than he used to be because of the church in his family/personal life. But I don't trust the guy further than I can see him.

He showed up at my Grandmothers' funeral wearing purple gators and a black suit with purple pinstripes. He reminds me of the Don Magic Juan guy from the rap videos and such.

No.

Many (though not all, by any means) of them are. Watch out especially for those peddling the "Prosperity Gospel", which is the idea that if you're faithful to God, He'll make you (and, surprise! The pastor too!) rich.

I don't know anything about INSP, but I know that TBN doesn't seem to have any quality controls at all. You've got to be really careful, and test anything you see against what you know to be true. It sounds like you've got a good base already.

And all I seem to hear from the majority of them are the "prosperity Gospel" that you're referring to. Also, IMO, the INSP channel is WAYYYY worse than TBN. Literally, almost every single show, they're preaching about sowing the seeds (with a ton of money) and reaping this huge financial windfall. If you ever watch it, especially at night, you'll see exactly what I mean. It's based out of Charlotte, NC and some man named David Cerullo is the Chairman and CEO. Not sure if you've ever heard of him.

Well, well, well. The CEO of INSP channel David Cerullo:

At a time when Inspiration Networks has been cutting jobs, freezing wages and even adjusting the office thermostat to save money, the chief executive of the Charlotte-area broadcaster has invested about $4million in a lakefront home under construction in South Carolina.

CEO David Cerullo's new house includes more than 9,000 heated square feet, along with a 2,000-square-foot screened porch, records show. It sits on the edge of the Blue Ridge Mountains west of Greenville in a gated community that overlooks Lake Keowee.

And it's shaping up to be one of the priciest houses in western South Carolina. On Realtor.com, just two homes in the greater Greenville area are on the market for more than $4 million.

Cerullo's fast-growing religious network, meanwhile, is drawing scrutiny for the money it collects from donors and the incentives it won from the state of South Carolina to move from Charlotte.

The broadcaster has raised tens of millions, largely by telling viewers that God brings financial favor to those who donate.

As the nonprofit network has grown – with revenues expected to approach $100 million this year – so has Cerullo's salary.

With compensation exceeding $1.5 million a year, Cerullo is the best-paid leader of any religious charity tracked by watchdog groups, the Observer reported last month.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2009/06/29/806505/ceo-of-ministry-building-4-million.html

HIs porch is bigger than most peoples houses!!!

Scum of the earth!!!!

I remember a preacher and his wife when i worked in real estate shopping for a million dollar home on the water. The reason? To avoid the long 45 minute drive to their other house after services. The church was buying it. Wonderful. Then again that's humanity.... After 9/11 I remember the surplus gas masks being sold at crazy mark ups and the end of the world seed packs for like 200 bucks. People use anything they can think if to make a buck. Don't even get me started on the sales people that prey on old people.

Churches and other religious organizations draw in lots of money, generally for good reasons: to support a community of faith, to help the needy (see Katrina relief, for example), etc.

The sad reality, though, is that any time there is a concentration of money, there are going to be people that try to take advantage

---------- Post added July-25th-2011 at 12:21 AM ----------

Doesn't a Non Profit have to show where every penny of that money is going to?

Some outright steal it with fraudulent books and such, but this is one of the reasons, I think, that the prosperity gospel has become so popular with these types. If you're preaching such things, then naturally you need to model for the congregation, which doesn't bat an eye, because they're next, right? :rolleyes:

We had one of those swindler kinds at my old church. He was a fat tub o' lard...couldn't stop talking about money, either. The congregation found out he was dirty and kicked him out.

All the little old ladies were distraught. They bought his BS hook, line and sinker.

Archived