Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deadspin: Chris Kluwe has some words for Nate Jackson

thebluefood

http://deadspin.com/5823788/chris-kluwe-responds-can-i-kick-it-yes-i-can

It was with some dismay that I read your piece in Deadspin and immediately tried to wrap my head around why a player with a reasonable grasp of the English language who made no measurable impact upon the game (i.e. you) would stoop so low as to berate a National Football League player who has actually completed a full 16-game season (multiple times!), has broken every team record at his position, and above all has contributed to his team winning games (and occasionally losing them [i.e. myself (I love parenthetical asides)]).

Raise your hand if you got lost at the end of that last sentence.

Let's be honest here. Yes, I am a punter. Yes, I don't run routes, or zone block, or cover receivers. Apparently, though, neither did you, which is the only explanation for your total lack of statistics. You, more than anyone else, should know what goes on during special teams, and yet your description of a special teams practice, while venomously hilarious, is quite inaccurate (or maybe you guys had a really crappy punter and you're spot on, in which case, my condolences).

Well written? Yes.

Pretty darn funny? Yes.

Spot on? Absolutely.

If your team doesn't have a good punter, your team will suffer. I think we've all learned that lesson.

Wow, Kluwe may be a high seed for the most well-spoken player in the league after that. Also, I think Nate Jackson is a little off...I thought punters were accorded some respect in NFL locker rooms, certainly they get more than placekickers?

Also, as long as we're talking about who should be allowed to call out who, it's worth noting that Jackson played D-III ball at some place called Menlo and was last employed two years ago by the UFL, despite being just 32.

Kluwe played for D-1 UCLA and has played six straight seasons in the NFL, averaging nearly 44 yards per punt. I think I'll listen to him over Jackson, thanks.

I read that earlier. Jackson fired at Kluwe and Kluwe shot back with a hell of a response.

Jackson had a point in there somewhere, but he buried it by turning it into some "the punter sucks" piece that I would expect from a high-schooler. Either way, Kluwe responded very well to what the underlying point of what Jackson's piece was. Well done punter.

So, Nate Jackson, while I respect your right to free speech (as apparently you don't respect mine), I also respect my right to tell you to go jam a tackling dummy up your ass sideways for being a snake-tongued, ****-talking Internet tough guy ******* who is so far out of touch with reality that you have no idea just how privileged we are to play this game for ridiculous amounts of money.

Wow.

I always respect someone that can move seemlessly between making really good valid points clearly, and ****-talkin'.

Wow, Nate Jackson's article came off as one giant helping of douchery. I think Kluwe tore him up pretty well.

It's almost like Jackson did not think that Kluwe would see it or that if he did, he would not have the sack to respond to it. Nate Jackson, you sir are incorrect. And you just got made to look like a fool.

I think people like Nate Jackson and Mark Schlereth need to drop the meat-head jock schtick and give credit where credit is due to special teams players like punters. Good punters have a way of making defenses look a lot better than they may actually be.

While I don't think Kluwe should be calling out other players on twitter he absolutely annihilated Jackson. I'm sure Jackson wasn't happy reading that.

I've never understood how someone could argue kickers don't matter. If you watch football you would know just how much of a weapon having great kickers is and more importantly how often teams without reliable kickers get burned. Redskins fans know this all too well. A punter that can get your defense out of a hole and a kicker that is reliable in the post season gives your team a major advantage on the scoreboard (the only place it counts).

Archived