Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Giant blast hits government buildings in Oslo, Norway; shooter fires at youth camp

sacase

I am suprised no one posted this. I am a little shocked that Norway would be targetted.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/22/blast-rips-through-norways-capital-injuries-reported/?hpt=hp_t1

[update: 1:23 p.m. ET, 7:23 p.m. Oslo] One person has been arrested on a Norwegian island where someone dressed as a policeman has been firing at a Labour Youth Party Camp, a police representative tells Norwegian state broadcaster NRK. Witnesses tell NRK the scene is chaotic and many shots have been fired.

[10 a.m. ET, 4 p.m. Oslo] An explosion rocked a part of central Oslo, Norway, on Friday, state TV reported. State TV broadcaster NRK said on its website that windows in several buildings had been blown out and people were in the street bleeding. News reports suggest the government building has been affected.

I am suprised no one posted this. I am a little shocked that Norway would be targetted.

My understanding is that no one yet knows who did this. It wouldn't surprise me if it was Al Qaeda terrorists, but they haven't said yet.

If Norway was targeted by Muslim extremists, it is probably because of the cartoons of the Prophed Muhammed thing - I think Norway was in the middle of that.

Scared maggots too weak to fight like real soldiers. I hate them all.

Welp, that is how assymetrical warfare has worked, pretty much back to the day when those cowardly minutemen hid behind trees and shot at the Brits instead of standing in brave formations and fighting like real soldiers.

(no, i'm not sympathetic to terrorists - they are evil as can be, and targeting civilians is never, ever justifiable. But I wouldn't call it cowardly to decline to "fight like real soldiers" against a US military that can kill you from a thousand miles away with a drone anytime they want. I call that basic survival tactics.)

---------- Post added July-22nd-2011 at 11:09 AM ----------

RIP to the dead.

Absolutely. RIP.

Looks serious

1 confirmed dead

352723806-1.jpg

352721715.jpg

352731201.jpg

---------- Post added July-22nd-2011 at 02:13 PM ----------

My understanding is that no one yet knows who did this. It wouldn't surprise me if it was Al Qaeda terrorists, but they haven't said yet.

If Norway was targeted by Muslim extremists, it is probably because of the cartoons of the Prophed Muhammed thing - I think Norway was in the middle of that.

This is what Norwegian gov't is now reporting. That it is indeed retaliation for the Muhammed drawing.

Welp, that is how assymetrical warfare has worked, pretty much back to the day when those cowardly minutemen hid behind trees and shot at the Brits instead of standing in brave formations and fighting like real soldiers.

(no, i'm not sympathetic to terrorists - they are evil as can be, and targeting civilians is never, ever justifiable. But I wouldn't call it cowardly to decline to "fight like real soldiers" against a US military that can kill you from a thousand miles away with a drone anytime they want. I call that basic survival tactics.)

I respect your opinion but nothing you just said matters to me.

Who exactly would they be fighting anyway? Why are they trying to kill innocent civilians? They are cowards and pieces of scum that deserve to be annihilated. And Norway is not the US military.

Vancouver Sun, 1:22 PM:

Gunman description via @ketilbstensrud: "TV2, 1500 metres from Utøya, speaking to youths: "A man, 190 cm tall, blonde hair, light skin, athletic, disguised in police uniform"

2:03 PM:

This was also posted to a web forum today:

Praise be to God Nasser slaves combined and humiliating the people of shirk and kufr companions, prayer and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad, the Seal of the Prophets, his family and companions and after

The Almighty said: (then fight for God but do not cost yourself and rouse the believers may be that Allah keeps those who disbelieve and Allah is more powerful and in punishment) [women: 84]

Here have reached the countries of Europe is another message from the militants and further proof of the countries of Europe that the Mujahideen will not stand idly towards their war against Islam and Muslims.

Today has been targeting Norway to be a lesson and a lesson to the rest of Europe has already threatened us since the invasion of Stockholm more operations has asked European countries to withdraw their armies from the land of Afghanistan and stop its war against Islam and Muslims, and we repeat our warning again to the countries of Europe and tell them carried out the demands of the mujahideen, what you see is only the beginning and the next more.

The reasons for the targeting of Norway there are many of the most important of their participation in the occupation of Afghanistan and the abuse of our Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).

Praise God that enabled slaves to the combined .. and pray to God to save our brothers and our fighters everywhere.

Glory and praise God I bear witness that no god but You Astgrk and I repent to you.

Abu Suleiman Al-Nasser

Ansar al-Jihad of the world

However, to give ... some context -- Abu Suleiman Al-Nasser, Al-Qaeda's "military leader" was killed months ago. Although, it is reportedly used as a nom de guerre.

I respect your opinion but nothing you just said matter to me.

Who exactly would they be fighting anyway? Why are they trying to kill innocent civilians? They are cowards and pieces of scum that deserve to be annihilated. And Norway is not the US military.

They seem like violent bigots to me. They've decided that those that do not share their religious views deserve to die. I wouldn't call them cowards frankly I don't think they fit that definition. They are murderous bigots out to spread their own brand of hatred and cause as much pain to those they hate as possible. The world has seen their kind before and I'm sure will see them again. There can be no doubt however that they will lose and turn into nothing more than another dark chapter in history books.

Hatred is a disease in all it's forms. This latest infection is in the process of being eliminated and it's no surprise those being systematically stamped out aren't going quietly. They are doomed and they know it.

The fact that the youth political camp was attacked suggests something local, something against the party rather than against Norway as a whole. Terrible situation especially as more news comes out from the island shooting.

Wait, didn't the Mohammad drawing thing happen in the Netherlands?

I don't understand. It's this great crime against humanity if you draw Muhammed, yet anyone came name their kid "Muhammed."

What if your kid is an ugly dip****, and you give him that name? What if he's a terrorist? Isn't that infinitely more insulting than a damned cartoon?

GTF over it. Damn.

I don't understand. It's this great crime against humanity if you draw Muhammed, yet anyone came name their kid "Muhammed."

What if your kid is an ugly dip****, and you give him that name? What if he's a terrorist? Isn't that infinitely more insulting than a damned cartoon?

GTF over it. Damn.

For the record no one knows why this attack was committed, as of right now its all speculation. It may very well be in response to the cartoon but no one has confirmed anything regarding that.

For the record no one knows why this attack was committed, as of right now its all speculation. It may very well be in response to the cartoon but no one has confirmed anything regarding that.

According to Deac, the Norweigan government is reporting that it is. I'm not near a TV, so I kind of have to rely on others right now. I'll go ahead and take the point you'll probably (and rightfully) make though, that that's usually not a rock-solid idea.

It could be for these reasons as well.

Other Scandinavian countries have been the targets of terrorism, most recently Sweden in December, when two explosions hit Stockholm; in one of the blasts, a suspected terrorist bomber killed himself and injured two other people in a central area of the city. The suspect had made recordings condemning Sweden’s involvement in Afghanistan.

Norway has also contributed significantly to the NATO-led effort to protect civilians in Libya, sending several F-16 jets that had been carrying out 10 percent of the strikes on the country since March, according to the Norwegian Air Force. The aircraft are scheduled to return home at the end of the month.

Earlier this month, Libyan leader Moammar Gaddafi threatened Europe with suicide bombings as revenge for the NATO campaign.

Norway had also filed charges last week against an Iraqi-born cleric, Mullah Krekar, a founder of the Kurdish militant group Ansar al-Islam, for threatening Norwegian officials with death if he was deported from the country.

Staff writer Greg Miller in Washington contributed to this report.

Who knows? Very tragic though. Very open country and then this happens.

A terror group, Ansar al-Jihad al-Alami, or the Helpers of the Global Jihad, issued a statement claiming responsibility for the attack, according to Will McCants, a terrorism analyst at C.N.A., a research institute that studies terrorism. The message said the attack was a response to Norwegian forces’ presence in Afghanistan and to unspecified insults to the Prophet Muhammad. “We have warned since the Stockholm raid of more operations,” the group said, according to Mr. McCants’ translation, apparently referring to a bombing in Sweden in December 2010. “What you see is only the beginning, and there is more to come.” The claim could not be confirmed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/23/world/europe/23oslo.html?_r=2&hp

Archived