Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

There is hope for America's youth!!!

Slateman

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Play-of-the-day-Selfless-young-fan-returns-ball?urn=mlb-wp13421

Summary: Kid was thrown a ball by a player. It doesn't quite make it. Someone in the camera well gives ball to a different, older kid. Older kid sees the younger kid is really upset and gives him the ball.

Props to the kid for giving up the ball!!

Nice gesture, but the story is way overblown.

It's just a baseball. That's how I see it.

Just the other day a fan died while trying to catch one tossed by a player, now we over-glorify giving one away.

It's just a ball. Not worth risking your life diving for it, and not worth fighting with another fan for it.

Just the other day a fan died while trying to catch one tossed by a player, now we over-glorify giving one away.

It's just a ball. Not worth risking your life diving for it, and not worth fighting with another fan for it.

It's not JUST a ball to a kid :2cents:

You're thinking about this from the adult's perspective. Try thinking about it from the kids' perspective.

To someone that young, a baseball is not just a baseball.

Also, keep in mind that many adults would not have done what the kid did in giving the ball back.

Going on my personal experience.

I grew up going to Minor and Major League Baseball games with my brother, dad and mom, and I can still remember a few occasions where my dad caught a foul ball and gave it to me... THAT was better than my birthday and christmas, combined, I was so happy when that happened. That's the allure of going to a baseball game in person, is the fact that you have so many opportunities for foul balls, we had season tickets front row behind the on deck circle for the Richmond Braves, and while we were literally 10 feet from the players, I was kinda upset that I wouldn't have the chance to catch foul balls because of the huge netting from dugout to dugout, to the point I even stopped bringing my glove.

One day I hope I've got the chance to give my child a baseball that I caught.

A ball to a kid is like gold. I took my son to his first game last month at NATS park. I was able to get him a ball from one of the Mariners pitchers (Pineda) and he now keeps it next to his bed on a stand. I just hope that the doesnt expect one from every game that I take him to.

I got a ball at a Prince William Cannon's (now Potomac Nationals) game waaaaay back when I was like 7. That was my most prized possession. And this was from a Single-A game.

Mick, just of curiosity, did you grow up in Miami? Or some other city without a pro baseball team?

Anyone else believe that the kid in the red shirt wouldn't have given up the ball if the old dude hadn't yelled at him?

I believe the kid would have kept the ball if nobody told him about the smaller kid who didn't get it... But I think that ignorance would be a good way to describe it. Seems to me that if anyone had told him, he would have given the kid the ball, and if nobody would have, he would have kept the ball... Do you see where the older kid even saw the younger kid at any point? I didn't either...

I don't have any kids, but I have a cute story anyway. My wife was born in Peru and had never went to a live baseball game. When we first got married, I took her to the Jupiter Hammerheads single A game. We got seats on the first base line parallel to the first baseman. I kept telling her to be careful, that we might get a foul ball coming our way. I sat in the first seat and she sat on my right to protect her. Anyway, she kept asking me when we would be able to get a ball. It was about the top of the 6th and the infielders were taking infield practice. She leaned over to me and said, I want a baseball, get me a ball (she was kidding with me of course). Just then, the throw got away from the first baseman, the ball skipped up, hit the side wall in front of us and popped straight up in the air. I barely had to reach for it and snagged it, handed it to her and said, "there you go sweety!!" We still have the ball in our den with all the rest of my sports collectibles.

Archived