Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HuffPo: Rick Perry Asked Why More Kids Are Getting Pregnant in Texas

China

I would note for the record that as items A and B are a subset of point I, the usage is correct, Don't you remember outlining from school?

It's Henry. I just assumed he was making the kind of joke you're supposed to smile at while he composes himself.

Yeah, I'm not stupid...I get it, see? :)

Being the atheist type I have no problems with Any pamphlet that goes out to anyone. I do have a problem with Abstinence only as it limits learning. (Especially if its only ONE religion). (though i doubt that article is listing anything that doesnt fit its agenda).

The birth control comment about getting parental consent first: = GOOD!

In the year 2011 we have school websites that list every teacher, councilor and principals email.

I have to fill out forms that list my email and my adderess every year, even though my kids have never changed schools.

I email the teachers with my cell phone and tell them i'm on call 24x7 for anything they might need.

I pick my kids up from school every other two days without missing a single time. they know me there, we hit the playground if its nice out.

i get a note that my kid isn't turning in the homework after the first quarter....in the report card. (NICE!).

She's been doing it but not turning them in. (Elementary School).

I have to repeat everything i've told them and send follow up emails constantly ( They have the same basic teacher ALL DAY).

I don't trust them to give out such important items.. they work hard and mean well but only 20% are probably competent.

Absolutely.

After all, if they're under the age of 21, then they shouldn't be using birth control when they have sex.

:)

Edit:

I don't want them getting a Government issues knock off/up version that will probably cause 20% increase in Chinese babies immediately.

I want to as a parent get the expensive ones that are so good that the company will pay you child support if the 99.8% guaruntee fails.

It's morons like this guy that will always keep me from ever living in one of "those" states. I can't abide being governed by a blantently stupid regressive like Perry.

In Maryland, we're governed by smart people of questionable character. In the South, you're rarely governed by anyone.

this doesn't look horrible:

Change in Teen Pregnancy Rates by Race/Ethnicity

Statistic ...............................................Texas United States

African Americans, .......1992-2005.... -44% -44%

Hispanics, ......................1992-2005... -18% -29%

Non-Hispanic Whites, 1992-2005...... -56% -54%

Nonmarital Teen Births by Age

Statistic Texas United States

Girls 15-17, 2008 91% 94%

Girls 18-19, 2008 78% 83%

Scruffy....I wonder how well MD would do when dealing with the same demographics?

I'm betting not so well by these numbers

http://www.thenationalcampaign.org/state-data/state-profile.aspx?state=maryland

Considering black teens have the highest teen pregnancy rate, and considering the demographics of MD (almost 30% black vs. Texas being almost 12% black), you are correct in that they don't have the same demographics.

All things being equal, MD's teen pregnancy rate should be much higher.

---------- Post added July-22nd-2011 at 07:26 AM ----------

this doesn't look horrible:

Change in Teen Pregnancy Rates by Race/Ethnicity

Statistic ...............................................Texas United States

African Americans, .......1992-2005.... -44% -44%

Hispanics, ......................1992-2005... -18% -29%

Non-Hispanic Whites, 1992-2005...... -56% -54%

The problem is, the data is showing that the rates are on the rise again (since 2005).

http://contraception.about.com/b/2007/12/06/teen-pregnancy-rate-rises-for-first-time-in-14-years-who-is-to-blame.htm

Considering black teens have the highest teen pregnancy rate, and considering the demographics of MD (almost 30% black vs. Texas being almost 12% black), you are correct in that they don't have the same demographics.

All things being equal, MD's teen pregnancy rate should be much higher.

No, basic math tells you the higher combined percentage of minorities is greater in Texas,which combined with the groups pregnancy rate = Texas's should be higher

of course looking at this a lot of black fetuses aren't being born if your stat is correct

AboutTP-2.gif

http://www.cdc.gov/TeenPregnancy/LongDescriptors.htm

the teen pregnancy rate also varies by how ya define them

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-05-19/health/latinas.pregnancy.rate_1_latino-teens-pregnancy-rates-latino-parents?_s=PM:HEALTH

---------- Post added July-22nd-2011 at 07:26 AM ----------

The problem is, the data is showing that the rates are on the rise again (since 2005).

http://contraception.about.com/b/2007/12/06/teen-pregnancy-rate-rises-for-first-time-in-14-years-who-is-to-blame.htm

---------- Post added July-22nd-2011 at 09:55 AM ----------

So, this well developed reaction of "whenever a problem with Texas is pointed out, blame the minorities". Do they teach that in school, down there?

Do they teach you to ignore science and facts?...race and culture matter in teen pregnancy rates period.

Blame is not the object....except in the hit piece on Perry you don't seem to mind :silly:

So the lesson here is good White Texans are using condoms, and asll those other Texans are conspiring to bring down the Governor by not paying attention to his abstinence ideas.

There's no splitting hairs, as I see it.

Pregnancy is pregnancy, and a Texan is a Texan, right?

Governor says "this will help"

results show the opposite.. so..?

Blame the demographics?

~Bang

We all know Rick Perry is a dbag from his Redskin/Cowboys rivalry comment.

I thought it was because he was a Al Gore supporting Dem?

Bang, ask the CDC and every other group that tracks and works to address teen pregnancy what the facts are and if they are relevant.

Evil Genius....why is your last link conflating pregnancy rate to birth rate?

The report reveals that between 2005 and 2006, the birth rate for teenagers 15-19 years rose 3%. This follows a 14-year downward trend in which the teen pregnancy rate fell by 34% from its all-time peak in 1991.

you want a reason why birth rates would rise? ....cause I'm winning in the abortion argument.

I'm having a hard time believing that list is actually distributed in a public school, though perhaps I shouldn't be, but I would not for the record that as items A and B are a subset of point I, the usage is correct, Don't you remember outlining from school?

Well, that makes sense. I thought it was just proof that the paper made the whole thing up. Now that there's a plausible explanation I find it a bit more unsettling.

It's Henry. I just assumed he was making the kind of joke you're supposed to smile at while he composes himself.

Yeah, I'm not stupid...I get it, see? :)

Well as long as you're smiling, my work is done here. :)

So can I post about Perry defending gay marriage here or should I start a thread? :D

Sure you can. But it would be complete bs. Perry does not support gay marriage in the slightest. He also railed against the supreme court decision that struck down Texas anti sodomy laws

He favors letting states decide the issue, so I'm sure you have some great quote about New York or whatever, but that is a far far cry from "defending gay marriage", which he himself is strongly against

Nice sleight of hand though.

Archived