Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HuffPo: Rick Perry Asked Why More Kids Are Getting Pregnant in Texas

China

Rick Perry Asked Why More Kids Are Getting Pregnant in Texas

And on the issue of sex ed in Texas, Perry has taken governing positions that affect millions of children based on his own personal opinions, even when those opinions are overwhelmingly contradicted by the evidence.

Texas lawmakers cut sex ed from two six-month courses to a single unit of "abstinence only" education. But early indications showed that the program wasn't working. In fact, teens in almost all high school grades were having more sex after undergoing the abstinence only program. By 2007, Texas had the highest teen birth rate in the nation.

Click on the link for the full article

I'd question whether they are indeed having more sex, or just more unprotected sex.

I can't believe there are people so out of touch that they still think sex education will give teenagers the idea to have sex.

I'm not sure if this from the article is accurate but isn't this illegal?

One Texas public school district's sex ed handout is entitled "Things to Look for in a Mate:"

I. How they relate to God

A. Is Jesus their first love?

B. Trying to impress people or serve God?

Another public school district uses this:

Question: "What does the Bible say about sex before marriage/premarital sex

One Texas public school district's sex ed handout is entitled "Things to Look for in a Mate:"

Just the fact that they couldn't properly number three items should give one pause. :)

Frankly, I don't have a problem with teaching abstinence. In fact, I'm very much in favor of it.

My problem with the thing is that, at least the one "abstinence only program" that I actually saw the details of, it wasn't a case of "this is what we want to emphasize", but rather it was simply a long list of things that the kids had to be kept ignorant of.

I got no problem with telling kids that abstinence works better than condoms. I have a problem with making it illegal to tell kids that condoms work, at all.

I think abstinence should be part of sex ed. Probably the most important part. Just not the only part.

I can't believe there are people so out of touch that they still think sex education will give teenagers the idea to have sex.

Another public school district uses this:

Question: "What does the Bible say about sex before marriage/premarital sex

Where did you see that?

Hi Henry

Because they are ****ing obviously.:)

any link to the actual study?....random lines are kinda lacking,like this one

http://www.actupny.org/YELL/abstinence_notworking.html

Among the findings in the Texas study: About 23 percent of the ninth-grade girls in the study already had sexual intercourse before they received any abstinence education, a figure below the national average.

After taking an abstinence course, the number among those same girls rose to 28 percent, a level closer to that of their peers across the state.

do you believe the fact they got older had anything to do with it?

I can always blame the rapidly expanding minority population as usual if ya wish,if ya want to play a numbers game

Abstinence works...people might not :pfft:

Q: Why are more kids getting pregnant in Texas?

A: Mexican and Hispanic influence

Heh

QGFiRi5Zobs

weRHyjj34ZE

We are made for loving. If we don't love, we will be like plants without water.

[Theme Song to Mighty Mouse]

:ols:

Can't... stop... laughing...

Is there some kind of official "post of the week" nomination process? That one would get my vote, and I don't even care what else gets posted between now and Saturday at 11:59:59pm.

Just the fact that they couldn't properly number three items should give one pause. :)

I'm having a hard time believing that list is actually distributed in a public school, though perhaps I shouldn't be, but I would not for the record that as items A and B are a subset of point I, the usage is correct, Don't you remember outlining from school?

Yeah,it would be nice to have more details on that as it counters what I and others experienced.

but we have so many schools it is certainly possible,especially if it is a private school

Archived