Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cnnsi: Redskins seem poised to spend big again

cadams

30-35 million under the cap. We are going to have nearly as much room as the bills, and chiefs, bucs.

It should be fun hopefully it finally works out for us this year!

Once McNabb and Haynesworth are cleared off the Redskins' books -- and they will be one way or another before long -- Washington is estimated to have between $30 million and $35 million to spend under the salary cap. Some of that will be used to sign the Redskins' 12 draft picks, and more of it should be devoted to contract extensions at some point this year for safety LaRon Landry and the still-productive Fletcher. Of the Redskins' own free agents, the one that makes the most sense to retain is reliable veteran receiver Santana Moss, who will generate interest if he gets to the open market.

Given their history, the moves the Redskins make in free agency will be more scrutinized than any NFL team. With Shanahan clearly needing to boost his credibility after a shaky debut season in D.C., he must balance the pressure to win now with an approach that doesn't re-commit the mistakes of Washington's free agent past.

As a wholly unpredictable free agency season looms, one near-annual rite of the process seems a given: Washington will go on a shopping spree once again, and spend a whole new batch of Daniel Snyder's money. Maybe this time, the results will be fruitful and finally supply that long sought-after quick fix. But if a signing frenzy ensues, and the Redskins are again leading the way, I think we've all seen that movie, and know how it ends. It's only year two of the Shanahan era, but in Washington, no one can stomach another disaster flick.

Typical Don Banks.

Yeah, but he's not entirely wrong though. He wrote this from a "Let's see if they really have changed" mindset, and I can't say I disagree with him. I believe in Bruce and Mike, I just hope we don't throw someone like Braylon Edwards $50 million. Hopefully with Kris Jenkins retiring they can get Franklin and Cullen Jenkins to shore up that d-line with Carriker.

So they are writing articles bashing the skins based on RUMORS of what we MIGHT do in free agency now? The criticism is definitely warranted but lets wait and see if we actually do these things first.

Not only that but if we don't spend some of the money to fill holes they will crush us for that. I suspect that we will see a similar approach to last season where we go for the mid-level guys instead of the big ticket guys.

Welcome Ryan Harris and Santonio Holmes...for starters.

Holmes is a smokescreen. Not gonna do it.....wouldn't be prudent. One drug screening away from suspension. too risky with his track record

---------- Post added July-21st-2011 at 12:37 PM ----------

It's going to take several years of reasonable FA signings before we lose the reputation. After all, it is a well deserved reputation. For media who don't have any connections, it makes for a high probability guess.

Holmes is a smokescreen. Not gonna do it.....wouldn't be prudent. One drug screening away from suspension. too risky with his track record

Maybe....his name keeps popping up,. Harris I would like to get on the roster...a Shanny guy, Denver just drafted another OL this draft and we could use him on the line. Only 26 and could play for a long time.

I have a feeling that they have their sights set on someone they aren't talking about. I just can't figure out who it is yet. I think they will have quite a few signings, but one big one.

I think they have a long list of UDFA's too. That is what I really want to see.

We are currently about 10.6M under the cap even if we move AH and McNabb off our books, we're still looking at no more than about 25M under (remember, we were able to take most of AH's cap hit in 2010 and McNabb's cap hit is spread out). We will spend because we need to spend about $45M (and if we move AH and McNabb, that'll increase to around $55M). Now, about 10.6M and any cap savings from cut guys, restructuring (read money paid up front but more of the cap hit spread out) and extensions (again mostly cash up front that can be spread out), we will max out our 2011 cap position to use this to come as close to that floor as we can and back load to meet the rest (although we can hold off on the back load part until as close to the end of the 2011 league year as possible) which is likely to be somewhere between 30-40M. You need to understand the difference between cap and payroll.

I am inclined to say typical Don Banks as well, hating on the Redskins but halfway through the article, it takes a turn and isn't all bad. That being stated, it is strictly an opinion article that a great number of people on ES could have put together piecing together the past, last season and the rumor mill.

I'd love to see the interior of the offensive line completely redone. I like Kory at guard and Monty impressed when he played, but we haven't seen a really good OL in Washington in a long time. Believing that we can handle blitzes up the middle. Having confidence in 3rd and short situations. Being able to establish a consistent running games more often than not. I want some maulers. Agile for Shanny's system, sure... but I want to have a decided advantage against most DLs we line up against.

Armstrong, Moss, Hankerson, etc will look so much more explosive when they are able to run their routes to completion and the QB is allowed to accurately deliver the ball.

Why are people so offended by the truth? We're going to spend money and sports writers are going to write about it. Get over it lol.

Hail!

We know as fans we'll sign free agents. We have to in order to meet the cap guidelines and to fill out the roster. But we cut alot of high priced guys the last couple of seasons and the media thinks that anyone we sign is going to be an "Albert Haynesworth" type signing. I can see us signing alot of players this year, but last year (even though there was a limited number of free agents) we stayed away from the Julius Peppers of the league. According to the media, Peppers was pretty much a "lock" to get signed by us last year. We would like them to be a little more objective and see the real direction of the team and not base their predictions on our signings from the 2000 season.

I'd love to see the interior of the offensive line completely redone. I like Kory at guard and Monty impressed when he played, but we haven't seen a really good OL in Washington in a long time. Believing that we can handle blitzes up the middle. Having confidence in 3rd and short situations. Being able to establish a consistent running games more often than not. I want some maulers. Agile for Shanny's system, sure... but I want to have a decided advantage against most DLs we line up against.

Armstrong, Moss, Hankerson, etc will look so much more explosive when they are able to run their routes to completion and the QB is allowed to accurately deliver the ball.

I think our oline will likely be better and much more atheletic than we've had in a long time. Second year for Trent W. and should we resign Brown his hip will be that much healthier.. that's the best tackle tandom we've had in forever. If we can sign one of the top free agent guards we could move Kory or Will to Center to upgrade Rabach and now our interior line looks pretty solid.

That would be a vastly improved line from when Shanny/Allen took over a short time ago when our oline was just awful and a terrible fit for the Zone scheme Shanny runs.

This doesn't sound too good; players looking to get "paid" will be stumbling over each other to work a deal, and in a year or so, they will be at the same position again; holding out for more money.

Players presently giving their teams' issues shouldn't look attractive to our FO, so go after young players who want to play, not be paid...

The one thing that was nice with years past is when Snyder targeted a FA, no other team stood a chance. Just never seemed to work out with the big deals.

This is true, and though the majority of those deals did not produce much for the team, I believe that Shanny and Bruce clearly feel comfortable knowing they have an owner that is willing to open the wallet interms of acquiring talent. Shanny and Bruce will be more prudent in their spending than Vinny ever dreamed about, and hopefully the money that is spent will show positive dividends.

Of the Redskins' own free agents, the one that makes the most sense to retain is reliable veteran receiver Santana Moss, who will generate interest if he gets to the open market.[/i]

[/i]

To me Jamaal Brown makes more sense, since we must have a RT and could deal with what we have at WR. (Yes we could sign Harris, but we could sign other WR's as well...)

To me Jamaal Brown makes more sense, since we must have a RT and could deal with what we have at WR. (Yes we could sign Harris, but we could sign other WR's as well...)

While I would prefer to sign Santana back, if we don't, in terms of bodies we'd be fine as we have enough (assuming all 3 of our rooks sign) for camp though you could argue the talent issue. If Brown is not resigned, well, we'd have a hole in the number of available bodies as well as a possible talent issue.

"Oh, well. Those days of long-range thinking might be over. Already. Perhaps Shanahan doesn't feel like he can afford the time or patience required to follow the blueprints of perennial winners like the Steelers, Packers, Patriots or Colts, who either avoid or dabble in free agency while focusing first and foremost on using the draft to replenish their rosters."

What is he basing this off of?

I think we're going to sign one or two FAs that doesnt include Rice, Holmes, Asomugha, etc. It's probably going to be an OL and another non-hyped player.

I hope Dan gets a new set of fresh checks printed with pen ready so we can sign these guys immediately.

Aso

Jonathan Joseph

Peyton Manning

Deangelo Williams

Sidney Rice

Santonio Holmes

Bralon Edwards

Ryan Harris

Cullen Jenkins

SUPERBOWL BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived