Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kris Jenkins Calls it Quits

Landrys Laundry

Today NFl.com reported Kris Jenkins has retired frome the league.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d820df240/article/kris-jenkins-decides-to-retire-after-10-years-with-jets-panthers?module=HP11_headline_stack

The redskins were said to have recent interest in him, but now of course he is not avaiable.

As dominating as He was during his career, for a lot of it he was sidelined from injuries.

Personally i wouldn't have minded signing Jenkins for the right price to raise our young dline but if he had wanted to much then i would have been out.

What are yor guys' thoughts on things?

What do you guys think this means about Franklin?

IF he doesnt want top dollar can you guys see us getting him?

Hopefully the insiders are correct and we have little interest. Though of course that was in part down to the K.Jenkins interest so who now knows?

Personally I hope not. A 31 year old vet. who'll want big money is not conducive to a rebuilding team WAY more than one player away from challenging.

Hail.

Sad news man.....I didn't want Kris Jenkins at all here, but props to the way he played when healthy for the jets and panthers. Very unfortunate knee injuries for him, I could of seen him playing dominant in the NT position till at least 34 years old with a very solid career.

Thank you for saving us Kris :)

Not so fast my friend.

You don't think he's trying to get Danny to buy him out of retirement? lol. Come on man!

But I agree with you and GHH, his brother needs to do the same thing.

HAIL!

we don't need either Jenkins brother. We need to play Bryant and Nield a lot unless we can get Franklin on the cheap (which I doubt happens). We need to do this the right way and not the buy every1 way. Haven't posted in a while...can't wait for the season!

Hail!

You realize Anthony Bryant is 29, just two years younger than Franklin. And Bryant has only played in 19 games in 5 seasons; 8 of those with us. Bryant essentially has sucked so bad that he can hardly get on the field to play for 5 teams; except for a team like us who had no nose tackle.

Talk about a waste of a player.

Nield has some promise and may actually play some because he played NT in a similar defense and played it well. But the Skins need an experienced NT that can make a difference and Franklin is pretty much it in FA.

I chuckle at these man crushes on borderline NFL players. Bryant only made our team because we had no talent at the NT position.

---------- Post added July-21st-2011 at 11:16 AM ----------

Not so fast my friend.

You don't think he's trying to get Danny to buy him out of retirement? lol. Come on man!

But I agree with you and GHH, his brother needs to do the same thing.

HAIL!

And you have a valid point. Money does talk. But his knee scares the heck out of me. I can't believe they would offer anything more than a minimal contract stuffed with incentives.

we don't need either Jenkins brother. We need to play Bryant and Nield a lot unless we can get Franklin on the cheap (which I doubt happens). We need to do this the right way and not the buy every1 way. Haven't posted in a while...can't wait for the season!

Hail!

Agreed. Bryant and Nield could very well do everything we ask of them. Bryant certainly showed he was solid last season. Nield is supposed to be a sleeper in the right defensive scheme, which is what we've got.

Getting an old and injury prone player does absolutely nothing but set us back.

---------- Post added July-21st-2011 at 09:24 AM ----------

You realize Anthony Bryant is 29, just two years younger than Franklin. And Bryant has only played in 19 games in 5 seasons; 8 of those with us. Bryant essentially has sucked so bad that he can hardly get on the field to play for 5 teams; except for a team like us who had no nose tackle.

Talk about a waste of a player.

I take it you didn't watch the Redskins toward the end of last season. Bryant was a "waste of a player"? You realize he turned around our Run D at the end of last season and his bullrush caused a poor throw which resulted in an interception by Barnes.

Bryant? What is all this love for Bryant. He may have looked better than Kemo, but that was not hard to do. He still graded out poorly and profootballfocus.com grades him at #91 among NT and DT....even with his few snaps. In 163 snaps, he had no sacks, 1 QB pressure, 4 tackles and 2 assists. Whoop dee do. Bryant is a retread that four other teams have booted off their team. Anyone they bring in in FA is an improvement.

I will miss Kris Jenkins in the NFL. He had this to say about Warren Sapp who I think is a first rate douchebag.

"I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him," Jenkins said. "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

Enjoy that retirement bro.

Bryant? What is all this love for Bryant. He may have looked better than Kemo, but that was not hard to do. He still graded out poorly and profootballfocus.com grades him at #91 among NT and DT....even with his few snaps. In 163 snaps, he had no sacks, 1 QB pressure, 4 tackles and 2 assists. Whoop dee do. Bryant is a retread that four other teams have booted off their team. Anyone they bring in in FA is an improvement.

Cause his job isn't to get stats. And NT and DT are not the same position, you can not equate the two. Different goals, different tasks. An NT is supposed to make the players around him look good.

So to put this in perspective. The Redskins allowed 4.6 yards per carry for all of last season. However, in the last 4 games of the season (where Bryant became the starting NT), we allowed only 3.5 yards per carry.

So is that just dumb luck and a huge coincidence? Or was he actually just THAT much better than Kemoeatu? Allowing only 3.5 yards per carry would make us a very good run defense. How good is that? Well...if we did that for all of last season, we'd have been the 2nd best defense against the run in that category, behind only the Steelers.

Cause his job isn't to get stats. And NT and DT are not the same position, you can not equate the two. Different goals, different tasks. An NT is supposed to make the players around him look good.

So to put this in perspective. The Redskins allowed 4.6 yards per carry for all of last season. However, in the last 4 games of the season (where Bryant became the starting NT), we allowed only 3.5 yards per carry.

So is that just dumb luck and a huge coincidence? Or was he actually just THAT much better than Kemoeatu? Allowing only 3.5 yards per carry would make us a very good run defense. How good is that? Well...if we did that for all of last season, we'd have been the 2nd best defense against the run in that category, behind only the Steelers.

And that was ALL because of Bryant? Give me a freakin' break. First off, no team used two guys to block Bryant. He's not that good. At best he played average one on one against his blocker. He did nothing to keep the guards off of Fletcher and Rocky. Our pass defense got better, too. I guess that was all because of Bryant, also. Even though he could only manage a single QB pressure. Maybe it had more to do with all the players getting more comfortable playing a new defense....and an offense that actually moved the ball more than 6 yards in 3 downs.

And let's be honest with the stats. We gave up 237 yards to two average running teams (TB and DAL) for a 4.15 avg. We only had a stout defense in the last two games against Jacksonville and New York. Jacksonville has a lousy running attack and we held them to 78 yards. Bryant did play above average against the Giants but was far from the reason we held the Giants to 3.5 yards per rushing attempt.

All you can say is Bryant was a better than Kemo.....but he is not what I want at NT in the coming season. It is a critical position in this defense. There IS a reason why the Giants, Dolphins, Lions and Tampa Bay all hardly played him and cut him. And in 2008, no one signed him at all. He is the perfect example of a guy with minimal ability and no upside except for fans who know little about football talent.

I don't understand all the disregard for Kris Jenkins in a Skins uniform. Worst case scenario we sign him to a cheap contract and he's unable to prove he's healthy or beat out Kemo. I was hoping just that - he would beat out Kemo and we'd have a rotation of him, Bryant and Neild. If Jenkins was able to stay healthy we'd get a steal out of his contract and upgrade our defense. Aside from Franklin, who most of us agree we don't want to pay for, who else out there can we reasonably get? Jenkins made the most sense and I'm not sure how I feel going into the year with Kemo, Bryant and Neild. I think Neild is a great prospect for his draft status but Kemo sucked last year and Bryant had a strong showing against a 3rd stringer.

I think I remember hearing Branch will be a FA from the Cardinals - a former high draft pick that I liked coming out of Michigan but he has only started a couple games over his career there and hasn't posted any numbers. Anyone else out there at NT?

I don't understand all the disregard for Kris Jenkins in a Skins uniform. Worst case scenario we sign him to a cheap contract and he's unable to prove he's healthy or beat out Kemo. I was hoping just that - he would beat out Kemo and we'd have a rotation of him, Bryant and Neild. If Jenkins was able to stay healthy we'd get a steal out of his contract and upgrade our defense. Aside from Franklin, who most of us agree we don't want to pay for, who else out there can we reasonably get? Jenkins made the most sense and I'm not sure how I feel going into the year with Kemo, Bryant and Neild. I think Neild is a great prospect for his draft status but Kemo sucked last year and Bryant had a strong showing against a 3rd stringer.

I think I remember hearing Branch will be a FA from the Cardinals - a former high draft pick that I liked coming out of Michigan but he has only started a couple games over his career there and hasn't posted any numbers. Anyone else out there at NT?

Yaa im sorta with you, i think the worst thing that would have happened was we signed him for something pretty small, and when he played he be pretty effective but if he got injured, he would be a metor to the youngs guys. I couldnt see us losing to much with signing him

And you have a valid point. Money does talk. But his knee scares the heck out of me. I can't believe they would offer anything more than a minimal contract stuffed with incentives.

We drafted some strong potential on that defensive line. While I won't disagree with bringing in another DE or two, I want to see what these kids can do first. Why not? I agree with you SAS.... I want nothing to do with this cat Jenkins.

HAIL!

And that was ALL because of Bryant? Give me a freakin' break. First off, no team used two guys to block Bryant. He's not that good. At best he played average one on one against his blocker. He did nothing to keep the guards off of Fletcher and Rocky. Our pass defense got better, too. I guess that was all because of Bryant, also. Even though he could only manage a single QB pressure. Maybe it had more to do with all the players getting more comfortable playing a new defense....and an offense that actually moved the ball more than 6 yards in 3 downs.

Players getting more comfortable? Except we went through enough roster changes to disprove that. Both our safeties changed, Rogers only made 2 of those 4 games, Carter was replaced as a LOLB. We had a different RE who I believe was the aging Vonnie Holliday.

I mean, do you honestly not remember that the d-line stopped getting pushed around constantly in the last couple games of the season? You seriously don't remember that? That's more than just getting "comfortable" in the defense. That's also just flat out having more ability, which Bryant had over Kemoeatu.

And let's be honest with the stats. We gave up 237 yards to two average running teams (TB and DAL) for a 4.15 avg. We only had a stout defense in the last two games against Jacksonville and New York. Jacksonville has a lousy running attack and we held them to 78 yards. Bryant did play above average against the Giants but was far from the reason we held the Giants to 3.5 yards per rushing attempt.

FYI, an average of 4.15 allowed on the ground is still above average for the league. Our team ranked 25th overall, that average for those two games would have put us at 11th overall.

All you can say is Bryant was a better than Kemo.....but he is not what I want at NT in the coming season. It is a critical position in this defense. There IS a reason why the Giants, Dolphins, Lions and Tampa Bay all hardly played him and cut him. And in 2008, no one signed him at all. He is the perfect example of a guy with minimal ability and no upside except for fans who know little about football talent.

Sure. Could it be as simple as he didn't fit the position they asked him to play? Bryant's without a doubt, a 3-4 NT. Those 4 teams, when he was with them, all played the 4-3. (Miami was still a 4-3 team back then)

Bryant's main job was to know his gaps, plug them, and not get pushed back. We tried an assortment of guys, and he was the first to do it and do it well. We drafted Nield. Nield did these same tasks well in college. We don't want someone at NT who would freelance for stats. We want him to do his job so the other players can make a play.

Archived