Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are DC Neighborhoods Changing that much?

Thinking Skins

I'm originally from DC, so I'm kinda biased against certain sections of the city. But I look at the turnaround that 14th and U, Columbia Heights and Chinatown have taken and I'm kinda wondering if the gentrification of DC has actually made it a safer city? I mean, I still hear about homicides on U street and in Columbia Heights, but is that the norm or the rarity?

And now I see apartments going for more than 3000 in these neighborhoods and I contrast that with similar size apartments going for less than 1000 in southeast and I wonder are people just getting fooled, or have these areas really changed?

Then I start wondering to myself, what other areas have changed? Am I just outside of the loop because I don't live in these neighborhoods? How do I even tell if a neighborhood has changed? I went to a few sights that have stats like avg income, age, etc., but do these stats mean I'm not gonna get robbed on a Friday night if I decide to pull up at the Wendy's and get a Spicy Chicken sandwich? I'm just curious to know if I'm the only person wondering this stuff.

My parents bought their house in DC in 1980 I believe. I was born in 82 and lived there until I left for college. Came back a couple summers during college and go visit every now and then. It hasn't changed completely but it is a different neighborhood from what I remember. A lot of the people that have moved onto my street have stayed ever since, not a lot of turnaround in terms of residents. But the people that left definitely moved farther away, not just around the corner obviously. In all I would say it's a safer neighborhood especially once they tore down the small project building that was a couple blocks away.

I'm originally from DC, so I'm kinda biased against certain sections of the city. But I look at the turnaround that 14th and U, Columbia Heights and Chinatown have taken and I'm kinda wondering if the gentrification of DC has actually made it a safer city? I mean, I still hear about homicides on U street and in Columbia Heights, but is that the norm or the rarity?

Murders in Columbia Heights and U street are rarities these days and when they do happen it's usually between people who know each other in some way or another. I have friends that live in both neighborhoods and each neighborhood is much more happening than they used to be and I wouldn't be scared to walk around at night.

Murders in Columbia Heights and U street are rarities these days and when they do happen it's usually between people who know each other in some way or another. I have friends that live in both neighborhoods and each neighborhood is much more happening than they used to be and I wouldn't be scared to walk around at night.

I guess that depends on how you define the two neighborhoods because right across from the 14th street Target isn't there low income housing? I know I hear a lot about crimes in that area from my friends who stay in Columbia Heights.

I guess that depends on how you define the two neighborhoods because right across from the 14th street Target isn't there low income housing? I know I hear a lot about crimes in that area from my friends who stay in Columbia Heights.
I'm sure you still can get rolled quite easily in that area, but it really has come a long way from what it was 20 years ago.

Crimes happen in the nicest part of the city. But violent crime in those areas is way down compared to what it used to be. Also, low income housing close by doesn't automatically make a place dangerous.

I'm sure you still can get rolled quite easily in that area, but it really has come a long way from what it was 20 years ago.

Yep, for sure.

I've been kicking it in Columbia Heights for going on 15 years. The differences are staggering. There are still homicides but they're off in the cut on very, very rare occasions. Not out in the open like it used to be. The last homicide I remember was last year when some drunk dude fired a gun through some random door and hit a little kid (he later hung himself in DC jail--SUPPOSEDLY himself*cough*guards*cough*.) But yeah, dude, it's a different world these days. The change is shocking to me to be honest.

Georgia Ave is still Georgia Ave though.

As a young moron, I used to run around some of dc's most notorious neighborhoods. Uptown around 14th and everything, northeast around Minnesota, benning road, 16th & rosedale, and southeast around barry farms.

Dc is NOWHERE NEAR as ghetto as it used to be. The gogo scene isn't what it used ti be either, unfortunately.

I grew up going to Georgia avenue day, dc carribean festival, and howard homecoming. From what my friends tell me, all that stuff sucks these days.

Thank god I grew up in dc in the late 90s, because it definitely ain't what it used ti be. The city has lost its identity.

Crimes happen in the nicest part of the city. But violent crime in those areas is way down compared to what it used to be. Also, low income housing close by doesn't automatically make a place dangerous.

I don't mean to associate one with the other, but I'm just remembering what my friends say about that area. I just heard its better west of 14th street. But then again, I don't know how much to trust their opinions because some people are afraid of everybody with baggy pants, and some people will walk their poodles through 1993 Compton.

Archived