Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: UFL reportedly suspending training camp by 30 days

SwampEm

It looks like Colt Brennan might have to find a new place to prove us wrong.

UFL reportedly suspending training camp by 30 days

Posted by Mike Florio on July 18, 2011, 10:38 PM EDT

Last week, UFL Commissioner Michael Huyghue insisted during an on-the-record interview with PFT that, despite the presence of new outside investment, the league’s owners would shoulder the burden of an estimated $40 million operating deficit in 2011.

Things possibly have changed in the interim.

The folks at WXTG 102.1 FM and 1490 AM The Game report that the Virginia Destroyers have suspended training camp by 30 days. Taking it a step (or four) farther, the folks at UFL Access report that the suspension applies to all five UFL teams.

Per the UFL Access report, training camps will begin on a delayed basis, and the season will not be shortened.

With the regular season due to launch on August 13, this necessarily means that the dates for the 10-game season will be changed, with the UFL season starting later and lasting longer, if there even is a UFL season.

UFL spokesman Michael Preston declined comment, but he told PFT via e-mail that a press release will be issued at 12:00 p.m. ET on Tuesday, and that Huyghue will be available for a conference call with the media at 5:00 p.m. ET.

Former NFL coaches Marty Schottenheimer (pictured) and Jerry Glanville have been hired by the Destroyers and Hartford Colonials, respectively, but no amount of sizzle apparently can fix on an immediate basis the financial problems that have plagued the league.

Not sure this is the right forum, but it's a shame their commissioner is such an idiot to put this up against the NFL. How many leagues does it take to show that nothing can compete? Why not treat this as a farm system? Let it run in the spring, and then it could act as an audition for the NFL.

That's exactly what the UFL was using for its marketing plan this season. They were absolutely banking on the lockout at least lasting through the preseason.

Yeah, the UFL was based almost solely for this year's anticipated lockout. They were planning on getting a bigger tv deal and upping the player's salaries form $6350 to $10,000 a game. Their old National TV deal expired, and nobody has decided to renew them nationally.

BTW: I thought it was appropriate for the stadium because of Colt Brennan's, Marty Shottenheimer's, Doug Williams', Nick Novak's, and other former Redskin's involvements in the UFL.

Yeah, the UFL was based almost solely for this year's anticipated lockout. They were planning on getting a bigger tv deal and upping the player's salaries form $6350 to $10,000 a game. Their old National TV deal expired, and nobody has decided to renew them nationally.

And they were probably licking their chops or a while too. The lockout didn't go as long as they probably hoped, but it wouldn't have mattered anyway cuz they still botched it.

And they were probably licking their chops or a while too. The lockout didn't go as long as they probably hoped, but it wouldn't have mattered anyway cuz they still botched it.

It's kind of funny too. If the players don't ratify this deal they would have been the only game in town for about three weeks until college football starts. I bet there would have been a lot of gamblers out there that would have tuned in, and bet.

even with a potential lockout, why would they every try to compete head to head with the NFL? why not do spring football, which could work and people want?

The whole intention of this league was to fill the void if the lockout lasted this year. People have tried various spring leagues in the past and it hasn't worked.

Don't give one lick about this league or ****ized football.....I mean Arena Ball. I much prefer the CFL anyway and get my football fix via them. They have history and the fact that they predate the NFL by about 20 years gives them weight that no start up league could have.

I would love a true farm league for the NFL. A 32 team league where young players and even on their way out vets get to show what they can do.

Archived