Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wired News: Samsung confirms U.S. launch of Galaxy S2 in August

Sticksboi05

Samsung plans a U.S. release for the sequel to its most successful Android smartphone by the end of the summer, according to a senior executive of the company.

“We expect to release the Galaxy S2 in the U.S. market sometime in August,” said Shin Jong-kyun, Samsung president of mobile business and digital imaging, in a briefing with reporters in South Korea on Wednesday. The story was first reported by Yonhap News.

The phone was initially released in South Korea — Samsung’s global headquarters — in April, subsequently rolling out to Europe and southern Asian countries in the months that followed.

The release of the Galaxy S2 comes at a particularly contentious time for Samsung, one of the largest manufacturers of Android-powered smartphones. The company is embroiled in a bitter patent dispute with Apple, the latter claiming Samsung’s Galaxy Tab and Galaxy S products were utter rip-offs of Apple’s iPad and iPhone devices.

Full story: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/07/samsung-galaxy-s2-release/

Yes! Finally! I got my data plan without even having a smartphone just in anticipation of this monster. So pumped!

i need to find out when these next generation of smart phones will come with 4G network support... seems like we are right at the end the edge of 4G roll out and i dont wan tto get stuck with a 3G phone for 2 years when 4G network is widely availiable.

i need to find out when these next generation of smart phones will come with 4G network support... seems like we are right at the end the edge of 4G roll out and i dont wan tto get stuck with a 3G phone for 2 years when 4G network is widely availiable.

There's a decent amount of 4G phones out now. For Verizon, there's the Thunderbolt, Charge, Revolution, and soon the Bionic. I have the Thunderbolt and 4G is super fast. If you live in a 4G area, I'd recommend getting a 4G phone now.

There's a decent amount of 4G phones out now. For Verizon, there's the Thunderbolt, Charge, Revolution, and soon the Bionic. I have the Thunderbolt and 4G is super fast. If you live in a 4G area, I'd recommend getting a 4G phone now.

well i am not up for upgrade until Sept which is about the time tha next generation of Galaxy or iPhone could be possible be out. So I am wanting to get the latest phone out on the market at that time but my wife wants to get iPhone regardless of what else is out there.

I sure hope that iPhone 5 would have 4G network support.

well i am not up for upgrade until Sept which is about the time tha next generation of Galaxy or iPhone could be possible be out. So I am wanting to get the latest phone out on the market at that time but my wife wants to get iPhone regardless of what else is out there.

I don't think its been announced if the new iPhone will have 4G or not.

Get the Galaxy S2 or if you want to wait a bit longer the Google Nexus Prime which will be FILTHY.

You just have to accept that regardless of what phone you get, even on release day, there will always be something better right around the corner.

Which is why I have moved to an approach that usually involves buying technology that's one or two generations behind. It's cheaper, there are fewer bugs, and it's no worse in terms of getting left behind really.

In the context of the thread, I just got a Google Nexus One a couple of months ago, it was about $400 cheaper than it would have been if I had bought it when it first came out, and I'm very happy with it.

Obviously, though, if you place enough of a premium on having the newest and the best, it makes sense to buy right away.

The iPhone 5's specs aren't ungodly. It's about the same as the Galaxy S2 but with not even close to as nice a screen or camera.

Please post or link to these iPhone 5 specs that you are referring to. I'm interested in comparing the two.

Normally spec sheets don't start every sentence with "The iPhone is expected to..."

Well their doesn't seem to be much separating the two in terms of hardware (if the iPhone 5 is configured as estimated). it probably just comes down to OS preference.

Yeah but Apple hasn't "officially" told anything on the iPhone 5 but from various stuff gathered over the last few months that's probably as accurate as it gets.

Either way the Google Nexus Prime will blow both out of the water. Don't know if I'm that patient though.

Yeah but Apple hasn't "officially" told anything on the iPhone 5 but from various stuff gathered over the last few months that's probably as accurate as it gets.

Either way the Google Nexus Prime will blow both out of the water. Don't know if I'm that patient though.

yea i realized that apple hasn't released anything so i edited my post.

Archived