Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

National Football Report: List of best UDFA’s for 2011 NFL Draft

SWFLSkins

UDFA signings are still in play and will come in a frenzy when the CBA is wrapped up. Who is on this list that could help the Redskins especially at OL, center and guard? Link shows entire list from the National Football Post and I will add some other sources/opinions. I wished this list included the schools wth guys played at. But I thought I would open this up for discussion since no teams were able to add any UDFA's after the draft. Feel free to add any guys you would like to see the Redskins sign.

Offensive Guards

Jake Vermiglio

Will Lawrence

Justin Boren

Thomas Claiborne

Ricky Henry

Jarriel King

Jamar Bass

Bo Thran

Chris Stewart

Mike Person

Bryant Browning

Centers

Kris O’Dowd

Ryan McMahon

Kevin Kowalski

Collin Baxter

Alex Linnenkohl

Tim Barnes

Jake Kirkpatrick

Chase Beeler

Zane Taylor

Ryan Pugh

Sampson Genus

http://thenationalfootballreport.com/2011/04/30/list-of-best-udfas-for-2011-nfl-draft/

nflsfuture.com: top 50 udfa's for 2011

1.Kendric Burney, CB, North Carolina

2.Mario Harvey, LB, Marshall

3.Dane Sanzenbacher, WR, OSU

4.Martin Parker, DT, Richmond

5.DeAndre McDaniel, S, Clemson

6.David Mims, T, Virginia Union

7.Derrick Locke, RB, Kentucky

8.Mark Herzlich, LB, Boston College

9.Joe Lefeged, S, Rutgers

10.Terrance Tolliver, WR, LSU

11.Henry Hynoski, FB, Pitt

12.Jeff Maehl, WR, Oregon

13.Jake Kirkpatrick, C, TCU

14.Ricardo Lockette, WR, Fort Valley St.

15.Cedric Thornton, DT, Central Arkansas

16.Jeron Johnson, S, Boise St.

17.Deunta Williams, S, North Carolina

18.Josh Byrnes, LB, Auburn

19.Darvin Adams, WR, Auburn

20.Pat Devlin, QB, Deleware

21.Darren Evans, RB, Virginia Tech

22.Jarriel King, G, South Carolina

23.Ryan Jones, CB, NW Missouri St.

24.Josh Portis, QB, California (PA)

25.Orie Lemon, LB, Oklahoma St.

26.Lester Jean, WR, Florida Atlantic

27.Armon Binns, WR, Cincinnati

28.Pierre Allen, DE, Nebraska

29.DeAndre Brown, WR, Southern Miss

30.Scott Lustrus, LB, Connecticut

31. Ian Williams, DT, Notre Dame

32.Brandon Bair, DT, Oregon

33.Steven Friday, DE, Virginia Tech

34.Jerrard Tarrant, S, Georgia Tech

35.Eric Gordon, LB, Michigan St.

36.Will Hill, S, Florida

37.Alex Wujiciak, LB, Maryland

38.Kevin Hughes, G, SE Louisiana St.

39.Brian Lainhart, S, Kent St.

40.Bryant Browning, G, OSU

41.Zane Taylor, C, Utah

42.Michael Morgan, LB, USC

43.Jimmy Young, WR, TCU

44.Mario Fanin, RB, Auburn

45.Justin Boren, G, OSU

46.Ryan Winterswyk, DE, Boise St.

47.Scott Tolzein, QB, Wisconsin

48.Alex Linnenhol, C, Oregon St.

49.Graig Cooper, RB, Miami

50.Devon Torrence, CB, OSU

http://nflsfuture.com/2011/05/09/top-50-undrafted-free-agents-from-the-2011-nfl-draft/

Im pretty sure a lot of these guys were drafted in the UFL or whatever its called. Can they opt out of that contract? I know Mark was drafted by them.

Yeah but at only 40k and season being pushed back I am pretty sure they can get out of it or would already include a clause allowing an NFL team to sign them. Only makes sense for them.

I would like to see us sign Kris O'Dowd. I was surprised he did not get drafted at all. I had him as a 6th round pick for us in my mock draft. I believe Wujiciak would be a nice addition to the young crop of LB's. The kid was a team leader at MD finishing among leaders in tackles in the ACC.

Kris O'Dowd

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=71187&draftyear=2011&genpos=

Alex Wujciak

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=66834&draftyear=2011&genpos=ILB

Edit: I like the idea of Herzlich, but he is a 50/50 shot. Not bad odds for a LB of his talent as a UDFA, but...

Mims is a beast. It was a real surprise that he wasn't drafted (even though he played at VUU). General consensus around town was that some team would try to snatch him up in the late rounds. I'd love to see the "Skins sign him.

I like Devlin, O'Dowd, Burney and Herzlich.

Like 3 of those 4 names KDawg but Devlin is a no no for me, he looked in the shrine game IIRC and he never impressed anyone during the offseason workouts, and also IIRC showed up late to his pro day. If we're going UDFA QB I want Adam Froman out of Louisville, kid has all the talent but has some medical concerns

I would like to see us sign Kris O'Dowd. I was surprised he did not get drafted at all. I had him as a 6th round pick for us in my mock draft. I believe Wujiciak would be a nice addition to the young crop of LB's. The kid was a team leader at MD finishing among leaders in tackles in the ACC.

Kris O'Dowd

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=71187&draftyear=2011&genpos=

Alex Wujciak

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=66834&draftyear=2011&genpos=ILB

Edit: I like the idea of Herzlich, but he is a 50/50 shot. Not bad odds for a LB of his talent as a UDFA, but...

I like Alex Wujciak as I'm a MD fan, but he lacks speed. Herzlich is in remission, so really singing any of these guys isn't going to break the bank.

Like 3 of those 4 names KDawg but Devlin is a no no for me, he looked in the shrine game IIRC and he never impressed anyone during the offseason workouts, and also IIRC showed up late to his pro day. If we're going UDFA QB I want Adam Froman out of Louisville, kid has all the talent but has some medical concerns

You know what the beauty of signing a guy who was a prospect that had a rough couple weeks is to a UDFA contract? You get to see them for virtually free. :)

---------- Post added July-20th-2011 at 01:22 PM ----------

Quarterbacks

Pat Devlin

Adam Weber

Scott Tolzein

Dawg, Devlin was the number one QB on the list.

Uhh.. Okay? :ols:

Not sure why you noted me there, sir.

I'd love to get LB Mark Herzlich from BC. He's a baller. I also like C Zane Taylor from Utah.

There was talk of Herzlich being a first-rounder before he had to overcome cancer. He's had a clean bill of health for a long time now. The risk is minor when it's only a UDFA contract, but the reward could be huge.

(I'm biased, because I went to BC. But that also means that I probably saw more of Herzy than anyone here, and know more about him as a person than anyone here. Trust me, this guy is Lorenzo Alexander with more God-given ability. He'll take the notion of being the hardest worker on the team as a challenge. He'll be in the film room at 1 AM. He'll do whatever he can to help his teammates. And my God, can he ever dominate. I can't tell you how many times he simply pulled out the "I'm better than you" card to blow up the opposing offense's play. I've seen some people online say that beating cancer generated "hype" for Mark that wouldn't have otherwise existed. They couldn't be more wrong. We loved Mark before he ever became such an emotional story, because he was so unbelievably good. He was the London Fletcher of our defense. The cancer saga only made us love him more, because it revealed even more of his character. If he keeps his primary residence in Boston for the rest of his life, he'll never have to buy a drink again.

I understand the fear that scouts would have about a young guy being hit with cancer. But this is a man who will make 31 teams regret their hesitation to sign him.)

Im pretty sure a lot of these guys were drafted in the UFL or whatever its called. Can they opt out of that contract? I know Mark was drafted by them.

Herzlich was drafted, but that doesn't mean anything cuz he didn't sign, choosing to wait for the NFL.

I read somewhere that as of last month the UFL had signed only one undrafted free agent that had attended the combine. Granted, a lot of guys don't go to the combine, but I would think the top undrafted FA would wait out the NFL rather than go to the UFL.

Haha no I know KDawg and i'm not saying it would be a terrible move, just more so that I'd rather take Froman over him who I think can translate better to the pro game than Devlin but to each his own :ols:

Sign him, too.

Jake Kirkpatrick and Tim Barnes should be our first calls.

Personally not a fan of O'Dowd, looked mediocre for the latter half of last year and bombed the post season circuit. Was getting mauled by large interior guys. But couldn't hurt to bring in on a tryout.

The UFL is very close to folding. They've already had to postpone the season 30 days due to financial problems, and there's no real end in sight to their woes. These UDFA's have really got to be hoping for an NFL Training Camp invite now.

Yeah but at only 40k and season being pushed back I am pretty sure they can get out of it or would already include a clause allowing an NFL team to sign them. Only makes sense for them.

From what I understand, they can't in year 1. The ones drafted signed something to that effect (which is why certain guys were not drafted by the UFL you would have expected) but I don't know if it is legally enforceable or just that a player with good character would not opt-out. Also, 40k is probably more than most of these guys could expect to make in any case as the vast majority would be cut by an NFL team and another group would only get on some teams PS.

There was talk of Herzlich being a first-rounder before he had to overcome cancer. He's had a clean bill of health for a long time now. The risk is minor when it's only a UDFA contract, but the reward could be huge.

(I'm biased, because I went to BC. But that also means that I probably saw more of Herzy than anyone here, and know more about him as a person than anyone here. Trust me, this guy is Lorenzo Alexander with more God-given ability. He'll take the notion of being the hardest worker on the team as a challenge. He'll be in the film room at 1 AM. He'll do whatever he can to help his teammates. And my God, can he ever dominate. I can't tell you how many times he simply pulled out the "I'm better than you" card to blow up the opposing offense's play. I've seen some people online say that beating cancer generated "hype" for Mark that wouldn't have otherwise existed. They couldn't be more wrong. We loved Mark before he ever became such an emotional story, because he was so unbelievably good. He was the London Fletcher of our defense. The cancer saga only made us love him more, because it revealed even more of his character. If he keeps his primary residence in Boston for the rest of his life, he'll never have to buy a drink again.

I understand the fear that scouts would have about a young guy being hit with cancer. But this is a man who will make 31 teams regret their hesitation to sign him.)

Agree with you 100%. He was a baller before the cancer. He can flat out play and this is coming from a MD fan. He reminds me alot of Zach Thomas.

You know what the beauty of signing a guy who was a prospect that had a rough couple weeks is to a UDFA contract? You get to see them for virtually free. :)

I can also pretty much guarantee one of the available UDFA QBs will be on our roster this season. I mean the only way we won't have one in camp is if we sign a FA QB and keep McNabb and unless there is a street guy with 3 or fewer years, he'll likely be on the final roster.

Bring in Sanzenbacher, Tolliver, Maehl, and Brown at WR, don't bring back Moss or any other FA WR's, and let's get a real training camp competition going between the youngins. Especially if we're starting John Beck. Just let this offense sink or swim, and learn on the job. Dump Sellers, start Young, and may the best men between Torain, Helu, Royster, Williams, Davis, and McNeal make the team/PS.

Archived