Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Instant Debate - Who will make the biggest splash (in free agency)?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d820da089/article/redskins-eagles-expected-to-be-among-freeagent-spenders?module=HP11_content_stream

Pat Kirwan NFL.com

Redskins have motivation to be aggressive.

To make a big splash in free agency this year a team must have the salary cap space and the cash to be a player. An organization will also need a dealmaker who can move at lightning speed in order to get things done.

I can't help but think Redskins general manager Bruce Allen and coach Mike Shanahan are going after a number of quality free agents. Right now, they are behind the Philadelphia Eagles, New York Giants and Dallas Cowboys when it comes to talent and that's enough motivation to make a splash.

The Seahawks demonstrated they were willing to work hard to turn the roster over a year ago under Pete Carroll and will probably be back at it again this time around.

Jason La Canfora NFL Network

Redskins could get frustrated.

The Redskins will make every attempt to do so, but I have a feeling they'll miss out on many of their top targets.

I honestly feel the best moves made -- the best splash possible -- will come from the teams that keep their own guys. If the Jets can retain Santonio Holmes and Antonio Cromartie, say, or the Ravens keep Marshal Yanda and Dawan Landry, then to me, under these lockout circumstances, that's a home run.

The Texans, if they land a Nnamdi Asomugha, and pair him with a quality safety, they could end up being winners, perhaps making the moves that finally put them over the top.

And the Eagles have some lofty goals as well. Plucking a Ray Edwards that would help their cause. As would adding Reggie Bush and Albert Haynesworth should they be released. Perhaps even a corner like Ike Taylor, well, that would be quite a haul, would it not?

Adam Rank NFL.com

Eagles will make title push.

Daniel Snyder probably cannot wait to start throwing his money away on free agency, but the team that will make the biggest impact will be the Redskins' NFC East counterpart, the Eagles.

I think we're going to make quite a few moves, because we have the cap space...but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Signing big name free agents for lots of money is totally fine with me, if they fit our system. Most of the busts we've had have been too old (Bruce Smith, Deion Sanders), we tried to play them out of position (AA) or something like Antwaan Randle El where we paid too much money for a #2/#3 WR and thought he'd be a #1 type guy.

Shore up the OL, get a NT, get some CB depth and maybe try for some QB help. Nothing wrong with FA, you just have to do it the right way.

Sadly, due to the owners previous, it'll be MANY more years before we finally stop being linked with every big name that breathes.

Hail.

Agreed! But if we are smart, we can always use this to our advantage.

Rumors like this just allow for our plans to be kept quiet, while continuing to have the rep around the league of offseason champs and no respect.

---------- Post added July-19th-2011 at 10:24 PM ----------

I think we're going to make quite a few moves, because we have the cap space...but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Signing big name free agents for lots of money is totally fine with me, if they fit our system. Most of the busts we've had have been too old (Bruce Smith, Deion Sanders), we tried to play them out of position (AA) or something like Antwaan Randle El where we paid too much money for a #2/#3 WR and thought he'd be a #1 type guy.

Shore up the OL, get a NT, get some CB depth and maybe try for some QB help. Nothing wrong with FA, you just have to do it the right way.

Signing big name free agents for lots of money is no the right way.

Using FA to get players to develop a core, but paying them on the value they have for our team is the right way.

Signing big name free agents for lots of money is no the right way.

Using FA to get players to develop a core, but paying them on the value they have for our team is the right way.

It can be the right way. If you're near contention (which we're obviously not) and just have a few holes you should make such a move. For example, if Shanny thought all we needed was a QB (just a hypothetical) I'd say break the bank for a QB.

Building through the draft is a good way to get young talent on the team but the draft is also a crap shoot. We need to be smarter about FAs and get more Anthony Armstrongs and fewer Donovan McNabbs.

It can be the right way. If you're near contention (which we're obviously not) and just have a few holes you should make such a move. For example, if Shanny thought all we needed was a QB (just a hypothetical) I'd say break the bank for a QB.

Building through the draft is a good way to get young talent on the team but the draft is also a crap shoot. We need to be smarter about FAs and get more Anthony Armstrongs and fewer Donovan McNabbs.

Ok, I think we both worded our words wrong. Been doing that a lot today.

I agree with this post. I was just mainly speaking about the Skins situation coming up and thought you were too. I agree if we were one person away, that we should sign him.

But as you stated, we are no where close. So this year we need to stay away from over-priced players. That is why Bruce/Shanny have decided (per JSteelz, LL56, TK) that we will not be going for Abroyo Franklin. His contract will not match his value to the team.

Ok, I think we both worded our words wrong. Been doing that a lot today.

I agree with this post. I was just mainly speaking about the Skins situation coming up and thought you were too. I agree if we were one person away, that we should sign him.

But as you stated, we are no where close. So this year we need to stay away from over-priced players. That is why Bruce/Shanny have decided (per JSteelz, LL56, TK) that we will not be going for Abroyo Franklin. His contract will not match his value to the team.

Got it.

I think there's quite a few holes that we could fill. If the price is right for younger talent I say go for it. Sign a whole bunch of guys if Bruce/Shanny like them. We need help and we need both drafts and FA to help out.

Overspending is one thing, spending a lot on a quality player that fits the system (since Snyder has the money) is no problem as long as it doesn't create cap issues.

I don't care about making a splash or not. Just get the right pieces to the puzzle and put them in a position to be successful is all I ask for.

I second this. I don't care how big the name is, we just need quality players, who can play their positions, and don't give up. I don't think that is too much to ask for..

thats just plain insane.

not to say manning would take the money and come to washington over any other club and most definitely the colts, but if he was willing to sign in washington you move heaven and earth to do so. Manning would give the redskins something that they have not had or deserved in some time, instant creditability.

Splash? Not necessary. But some key players at positions of need (not necessarily the best available though) could get us in good position to succeed in the near future. We don't need to sign the big names; what we need to do is sign no more than 5 FAs at reasonable contracts and extend Landry at least. Money needs to be spent, but it needs to be spent in the right places.

Archived