Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kings Dominion

apickmans

Does anyone go on the Richochet still? I always use to hit it just for the amusement of being bounced everywhere.

They have one of those at Carowinds. Not scary by any means. But still kinda fun.

---------- Post added July-21st-2011 at 02:10 AM ----------

I saw where people mentioned Six Flags. I went to the one in Georgia about 20 years ago. Wasn't all that impressed. Is it even still open? If so, has it improved?

They have one of those at Carowinds. Not scary by any means. But still kinda fun.

---------- Post added July-21st-2011 at 02:10 AM ----------

I saw where people mentioned Six Flags. I went to the one in Georgia about 20 years ago. Wasn't all that impressed. Is it even still open? If so, has it improved?

Was actually there last year and it was pretty good not "OMG WOW AMAZING" but a fun time nonetheless

Was actually there last year and it was pretty good not "OMG WOW AMAZING" but a fun time nonetheless

Ok, good to hear that it has improved. And this might be a dumb question, but does Snyder still own Six Flags?

---------- Post added July-21st-2011 at 02:22 AM ----------

Btw, I know this is a KD thread. But the worst amusement park I've ever been to is the one in Hershey, Pa. Hershey Park?...Good grief that park sucked. However, as with Six Flags in Ga, its been a long time since I visited it. Touring the factory was pretty cool though.

The first coaster I went on was the Georgia Cyclone... But this was when I was like 8 or 9, same day my brother went on his first coaster as well... He chose the Great American Scream Machine IIRC... Because my dad got season passes because he wanted to ride the brand new "Ninja" a lot...

Man, I'm the opposite of some folks in here. I still love KD, I didn't care for Busch Gardens at all. It might be because I'm a coaster guy and I like the volume of options at KD, but I wasn't too impressed by any of BG's offerings. Also, I don't usually go to a park for shows...and frankly, I though the food at Busch Gardens sucked. We ate in Germany at the Oktoberfest place and it was just your standard, push your tray through the line eatery, no food really stood out.

We just back from a classic Florida road trip, ran backwards from Florida up to NJ and our last planned stop was KD. Pricing wise I thought the entrance fee on line was way fair. I spent $160.00 for four incl. taxes. In Florida parks that would be for two, even with discounts for Florida residents. The food and drinks seemed high, but we hit up Chick Filet in the park and that helped. It was as I remember it and the newer coasters were great, the Hurler should not be missed, and my six year old was able to ride a slew of the bigger coasters, just made the 48" mark. He rode the Anaconda as well, and the stunt coaster was a blast, rode all rides multiple times and with hardly any waits other than first at the Volcano. The 305 was packed until the end and I put it off as long as I could, rode alone, scary as hell and was worth the wait. I really enjoyed our vacation and KD was a fitting end before the long drive back. Can't believe we walked all over DC for two days and still managed to get up and drive to KD and walk all over there as well.

Good Lord!

Intimidator 305 is one helluva coaster. We rode it 2 times, first time from the middle (we both greyed out) second time from the front car, I saw stars but didnt feel as "foggy", she says she actually lost a few seconds between the 1st and 2nd corners from the front but holy crap that drop is in-freakin-sane!

Overall the park was ok, we rode all of the coasters and then played in the water for a couple hours before heading home. The area that has The Hurler , formerly the Wayne's World area, needs a serious revamping, I'm not real sure what they have going on back there but if it werent for my affection of the old wooden coasters I wouldnt have been back there. It was boring and desolate. Did I mention how freakin' awesome the i305 is?! I actually felt my spine compressing in the first and second corners. Where do they take coasters from here??

Good Lord!

Intimadator 305 is one helluva coaster. We rode it 2 times, first time from the middle (we both greyed out) second time from the front car, I saw stars but didnt feel as "foggy", she says she actually lost a few seconds between the 1st and 2nd corners from the front but holy crap that drop is in-freakin-sane!

Overall the park was ok, we rode all of the coasters and then played in the water for a couple hours before heading home. The area that has The Hurler , formerly the Wayne's World area, needs a serious revamping, I'm not real sure what they have going on back there but if it werent for my affection of the old wooden coasters I wouldnt have been back there. It was boring and desolate. Did I mention how freakin' awesome the 305 is?! I actually felt my spine compressing in the first and second corners. Where do they take coasters from here??

i305 is definitely pushing the envelope. i doubt you will see another coaster as intense, anywhere, for a very long time. :D

Quick question for you guys.....We were planning on going on a Sunday but now we're thinking of going on a weekday. Is it that much less crowded on a weekday than on a Sunday? Obviously Sat is the busiest day and thats why we were originally planning for a Sunday but might take a day off if its worth it for the weekday.

Did I mention how freakin' awesome the i305 is?! I actually felt my spine compressing in the first and second corners. Where do they take coasters from here??

I've always wanted to see a coaster that had a first drop so high they could build a loop into it. You go over the first climb...shoot down, fire through the loop at high speed, and then continue shooting downward even faster. That would be awesome.

Quick question for you guys.....We were planning on going on a Sunday but now we're thinking of going on a weekday. Is it that much less crowded on a weekday than on a Sunday? Obviously Sat is the busiest day and thats why we were originally planning for a Sunday but might take a day off if its worth going on a weekday.

I've always wanted to see a coaster that had a first drop so high they could build a loop into it. You go over the first climb...shoot down, fire through the loop at high speed, and then continue shooting downward even faster. That would be awesome.

Drachen Fire at Busch Gardens did this, kind of. it was more of a corkscrew than a vertical loop, but it was located about halfway down the first drop. you don't have to be going particularly fast to do a loop.

by the way, that coaster was demolished in 2002 because it banged peoples' heads around too much, although the headbanging had nothing to do with the loop-during-drop element. other parts of the ride were poorly designed.

Quick question for you guys.....We were planning on going on a Sunday but now we're thinking of going on a weekday. Is it that much less crowded on a weekday than on a Sunday? Obviously Sat is the busiest day and thats why we were originally planning for a Sunday but might take a day off if its worth going on a weekday.

well, sunday is doable. the lines aren't too out of control, usually, except for volcano and (if it's super hot) white water canyon. but weekdays are really a dream. most of the rides are a walk-on, and volcano and WWC don't ever get more than 25 minutes in my experience.

luckily, Intimidator305 eats through people so quickly that even though it's by far the best coaster in the park, its line is usually shorter than volcano, dominator, or flight of fear.

If you go during the week it's dramatically different. You will wonder why people bother with weekends. Highly recommended.

I used a code for my tickets, we had no problem at the gate. Scanned the printed at home piece of paper and in we went.

I would highly suggest the weekday visit, you will be pleasantly surprised at the outcome. We usually try to go on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Monday is to easy to roll into a 3 day weekend, same thing with Friday. I guess Thursday would be ok we just never go on Thursday.

On the Tuesday we went there were virtually no lines for any coaster except for Volcano and the Water Park, the same was true for the couple smaller rides we got on.

I'd also suggest that you get the souvenir cup and the $5 free refill wristband. You can get soda, powerade or water.

Here's some footage of the Drachen Fire coaster that greenspandan mentioned earlier. This footage includes the corkscrew drop and the original set of inversions. (The corkscrew immediately following the mid-course brake was removed in the mid-90s in an effort to "fix" the ride.)

Sad that this ride didn't last long at Busch Gardens, as it was more enjoyable and interesting than Anaconda at Kings Dominion IMO. But different parks, different standards, different clientele...

6R187nxbsjA

• 2 weeks later...
Quick question guys. My friends and i are going tomorrow and the weather report shows that its probably gonna rain. How does the amusement park respond to rain. Do they close down some rides because of the rain?

I can't speak for Kings Dominion, as I've never been before, but I know Carowinds usually shuts down most of theirs when it rains. Personally, I wouldn't waste my money going on a day when there is rain. Then again, I wouldn't go on a weekend, at all. You only get your money's worth if you go during the week, imo.

I can't speak for Kings Dominion, as I've never been before, but I know Carowinds usually shuts down most of theirs when it rains. Personally, I wouldn't waste my money going on a day when there is rain. Then again, I wouldn't go on a weekend, at all. You only get your money's worth if you go during the week, imo.

This.........the only things that will be open during the rain is the flight of fear roller coaster, maybe the carosel, and the Action Theatre (Spounge Bob Ride, old Days of Thunder) They may still have some indoor shows going on, but other than that everything will shut down.

Also weekends are horrific.....I worked there as a life guard in college, andmy brother and dad work there as part time Fire and Safety Officers, during a week day they maybe average 2-3,000 people which with the size of the park is nothing. On a weekend its easy 8-12,000 sometimes more depending on if its a fireworks nite, or if a festival is in town. With that many people you will be waiting upwards of an hour and a half for the popular rides like 305, Dominator, and Volcano

Archived