Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kings Dominion

apickmans

A group of us have decided to hit up Kings Dominion. Havent been there in forever and have come to find out that it costs almost $60 at the gate!! Wow. Online tickets are cheaper they run between $43-50 but im wondering if any of you guys know what places are giving away coupons or promo codes?

I found this site but im a little worried that it might be some sort of scam and the tickets will be turned away at the gate. These promo codes are for cooperate discounts.

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/kingsdominion.com

Any help would be appreciated

Use "HERO11" and get tickets for $30. I used a corporate code discount from retailmenot last Tuesday and had no problems. Just buy the tickets online and print out the receipt.

Side note: I went on the 100 degree weather day last week. TOTALLY worth it. Nobody was there. All the lines are covered and have fans, so you really only feel the effects of the weather when you are walking. I only waited 10 minutes for the Intimidator (the 305 drop that goes 96 mph!) and was allowed to ride the dominator consecutive times because literally nobody was in line. Just bring a towel, get a locker in the water park, and jump in the lazy river ever 3-4 hours.

Sloppy,

that was very useful. Thank you very much. Just wanted to make sure if we used the corporate code the tix wouldnt be turned away at the gate. We're planning on going in August so "HERO11" wont work for us since it expires July 30th i think. I think i just found a code "FEDEX" for august tix so hopefully this one works. Totally gonna check out the intimadator. Is the Volcano worth checking out as well? I dont even know if Volcano is that new of a roller coaster, like i said i havent been in forever.

hey just a heads up from a hardcore coaster fanatic: Intimidator 305 is basically the greatest rollercoaster in the world right now. it is by far the most intense ride available at any amusement park. most enthusiasts agree it stomps all over Cedar Point's Millennium Force. the best part is, the wait is hardly ever more than 20 minutes! (MF usually has a 2 hour wait)

don't freak out when you start seeing spots at the bottom of the first hill, that's normal and perfectly safe. they're really pushing the limits of the human body g-force wise on that first turn. just enjoy it!

hey just a heads up from a hardcore coaster fanatic: Intimidator 305 is basically the greatest rollercoaster in the world right now. it is by far the most intense ride available at any amusement park. most enthusiasts agree it stomps all over Cedar Point's Millennium Force. the best part is, the wait is hardly ever more than 20 minutes! (MF usually has a 2 hour wait)

don't freak out when you start seeing spots at the bottom of the first hill, that's normal and perfectly safe. they're really pushing the limits of the human body g-force wise on that first turn. just enjoy it!

This is very true. I went with a group a few weeks ago and my wife almost blacked out on Intimidator 305, a group in the cars ahead of us all passed out apparently. Its one hell of a ride, my new all-time favorate.

Flight of Fear (indoor launched rollercoaster) is easy to miss if you don't know what it is. Also, the Grizzly is the best woodie in the park, but its entrance is well hidden.

my one word of advice: head to Volcano first. it has the longest and slowest-moving line in the park, and it just gets longer and longer as the day goes on. ride it first thing, while everyone else is queueing up for Dominator (the big orange and blue one you see right as you walk in) and head back to Dominator later in the day.

Flight of Fear (indoor launched rollercoaster) is easy to miss if you don't know what it is. Also, the Grizzly is the best woodie in the park, but its entrance is well hidden.

my one word of advice: head to Volcano first. it has the longest and slowest-moving line in the park, and it just gets longer and longer as the day goes on. ride it first thing, while everyone else is queueing up for Dominator (the big green one you see right as you walk in) and head back to Dominator later in the day.

That is a great tip, I have worked at KD, my brother and dad work there part time as fire safety officers, and I have had a season pass there for about the last 10 years. The back part of the park known as the Congo is were I-305,Volcano,Crypt,Flight of Fear,and Stunt Coaster that part of the park is ALWAYS busy and full hit that part early and then you can hit the other rides like Hurler, Rebel Yell, Grizzly, and DOminator later int he day Usually the Hurler, Rebel Yell, and Grizzly you can walk right on and ride multiple times in a row. Dominator usually has a line becuase it is right on main street and it is the first ride people see so they go right for it.

You also have to ride the Beserker (the big ship in front of the Dominator) cause it is a KD classic, and the Drop Zone Tower is also very good.

Im actually heading there in a few hours to watch the fireworks, and Snoopys Starlight spectacular with my kids.

That is a great tip, I have worked at KD, my brother and dad work there part time as fire safety officers, and I have had a season pass there for about the last 10 years. The back part of the park known as the Congo is were I-305,Volcano,Crypt,Flight of Fear,and Stunt Coaster that part of the park is ALWAYS busy and full hit that part early and then you can hit the other rides like Hurler, Rebel Yell, Grizzly, and DOminator later int he day Usually the Hurler, Rebel Yell, and Grizzly you can walk right on and ride multiple times in a row. Dominator usually has a line becuase it is right on main street and it is the first ride people see so they go right for it.

You also have to ride the Beserker (the big ship in front of the Dominator) cause it is a KD classic, and the Drop Zone Tower is also very good.

Im actually heading there in a few hours to watch the fireworks, and Snoopys Starlight spectacular with my kids.

I forgot all about the Hurler... I didnt even ride it when I was there bc I had forgotten about it. yeah, Grizzly and rebel Yell are staples of the park, especially if they reverse one of the cars on the rebel yell and you can ride it backwards. I wont lie, Drop zone was crazy, and that ride alone brought to my attention my fear of heights. I just felt like I could slide out of my seat at any moment while we were just sitting there at the top. Then the pole felt like it was swaying, but it wasn't, the clouds were moving past and creating that illusion for me. Thats a wild ride. As GreenspanDan said, hit the Volcano first and go early.

---------- Post added July-19th-2011 at 03:37 PM ----------

(i don't know why i said Dominator is green -- it's orange and blue, duh)

its right behind the anaconda, which is green.

unfortunately, Cedar Fair (who owns KD now) has said they will never run a backwards train on Rebel Yell again :(

wow, that's sad. Im glad i got to ride it like that a couple years ago. So much fun that way. Did someone get hurt?

My wife blacked out on that thing. It freaked her out big time. She said her field of vision narrowed and all she could see was grey. I kind of thought she was just complaining but when she told me about it, after we got off the ride, the people behind us said the same thing happened to both of them. Go figure. I didn't have any issues. That rocket-fast indoor coaster next to it was cool too.

My wife blacked out on that thing. It freaked her out big time. She said her field of vision narrowed and all she could see was grey. I kind of thought she was just complaining but when she told me about it, after we got off the ride, the people behind us said the same thing happened to both of them. Go figure. I didn't have any issues. That rocket-fast indoor coaster next to it was cool too.

Thats almost exactly what my wife described too. She said she came to coming down the second hill and it scared the crap out of her. lol. My vision got blurry, but I thought it was bc of how fast we were going.

wow, that's sad. Im glad i got to ride it like that a couple years ago. So much fun that way. Did someone get hurt?

I think it is just a maintenance issue (from what I have heard), although they claimed it was a throw back to the original ride in which both cars went the same direction and it was billed as a racing roller coaster, (If you have ever seen the 1977 Movie ROLLERCOASTER partly filmed at Kings Dominion you will see the Rebel Yell both tracks going foward)

I do know from working there that the Rebel Yell takes the most upkeep and preventative maintenance....they have a team of about 15 maintenance men that inspect it and hammer in loose nails, and wratchet loose bolts every day prior to open.

---------- Post added July-19th-2011 at 03:48 PM ----------

yea I grayed out as well, the G's of taking a turn going that fast are definetly puching it for the human body....I know alot of people have blacked out but its the exception and not the rule.

My wife blacked out on that thing. It freaked her out big time. She said her field of vision narrowed and all she could see was grey.

a total blackout (loss of consciousness) would be unusual. but the splotchy or narrow vision (called a "grey out") is normal and nothing to worry about. it's just the positive G forces shoving the blood out of your brain for a few seconds while you go around that turn. it's no different than getting up too fast, really, and the negative G's of going over that second hill shove all the blood back where its supposed to be anyway :).

I think it is just a maintenance issue (from what I have heard), although they claimed it was a throw back to the original ride in which both cars went the same direction and it was billed as a racing roller coaster, (If you have ever seen the 1977 Movie ROLLERCOASTER partly filmed at Kings Dominion you will see the Rebel Yell both tracks going foward)

I do know from working there that the Rebel Yell takes the most upkeep and preventative maintenance....they have a team of about 15 maintenance men that inspect it and hammer in loose nails, and wratchet loose bolts every day prior to open.

---------- Post added July-19th-2011 at 03:48 PM ----------

yea I grayed out as well, the G's of taking a turn going that fast are definetly puching it for the human body....I know alot of people have blacked out but its the exception and not the rule.

very cool. Does it need that maint bc of the amount of riders, or bc of how old it is? For the record, the grizzly looks like if you sneeze in its general direction it could collapse on itself. very rickety ride (which is one reason I love it so much, adds to its "charm"), and it looks really rough in general.

For what it's worth, someone told me you won't black out if you tense up your stomach muscles. I have no idea if it's true or not. It makes sense though because I'm always sucking my 40 year old fat man beer gut in.

this is what they tell fighter pilots to help them not grey out during high G maneuvers, so i assume it works :)

very cool. Does it need that maint bc of the amount of riders, or bc of how old it is? For the record, the grizzly looks like if you sneeze in its general direction it could collapse on itself. very rickety ride (which is one reason I love it so much, adds to its "charm"), and it looks really rough in general.

Its mostly just the age....and I agree but actually the Girzzly and the Hurler are quite stable as far as wooden coasters go...they are both just so rough....when I was a kid my Dad would take us and go sit in Hurricane Reef (which was the old name for the water park, Hurrican Reef became the North Side of Water Works) and I could ride that thing all day, all night and never feel it, now if I ride the Girzzly or Hurler I feel like I have been in a fight, and am sore the next day...its hell to get old.

Yeah, now that they've completely rebuilt that first high-speed turn to reduce the G-force on riders, it's much better. Logically then, last year it must have been something of a threat to health since it was even more intense then than it is now. ;)

But that's (ride manufacturer) Intamin for you, frequently getting it wrong with their first try. I'm trying to think of a ride designer that has seen a larger quantity of questionable ride-related deaths over the past 30 years. I'm not coming up with any. Given their track record with other intense rides, I'm not surprised at all that either Intamin or the park insisted upon using an over-the-shoulder restraint system rather than just a lap bar on Intimidator 305.

As a former engineer in that industry, I see Intamin as pushing certain boundaries unwisely. I-305 isn't even the worst offender (although the rides I'm thinking of are also made by these guys).

I-305 is great and Millennium Force is definitely overrated. But the best roller coaster in the USA hands-down is El Toro, up at Six Flags Great Adventure (of all places). It's an airtime factory the likes of which even I-305 can't match, and unlike I-305 it has no shoulder restraints at all so there's literally just one little lap bar holding you in. Given the very extreme ejection-seat-style airtime it produces, that's not a design decision I would have made, but it puts El Toro head and shoulders above anything else in the country. Ironically it's also an Intamin creation. Risk taking has its perks.

Top steel coaster in the country: Bizarro up at Six Flags New England. Also Intamin. Also my favorite steel ride. The past few years have been the only time in my life that the best available measure of collective enthusiast opinion matched my own for both steel and wooden rides.

My wife and I went to KD in the middle of summer last year and the park was nearly deserted. I can't believe I'm saying this, but we left after three hours, but jesus did we get our money's worth. There were no lines...we went from coaster to coaster to coaster...we left before noon because we both had massive headaches from being thrown around so much. I guess maybe there is some benefit to short lines, forced breaks, etc. :ols:

And yeah, I-305 is crazy, and the Volcano as well. Volcano was great when it came out, but I have no idea why that line is so long compared to I-305. I still have a soft spot in my heart for the Avalanche, I hope that's still around when my daughter is old/tall enough to start riding.

Remember the king cobra and the magic carpet ride that was next to a small rollercoaster I think named galaxy it use to be were the shockwave is now.

This must have been before me, and I started going in the 80's. Since Ive been going, Shockwave has always been there. I remember when it was the parks main attraction. lol. Its such a short ride. If I remember correctly, a while back someone either died or was severely injured by it too.

Doesnt Six Flags in MD have the most injuries for an amusement park? I vaguely remember someone getting their feet cut off on a Superman ride... something like that. Does anyone remember that? I havent been to Six Flags in such a long time though.

Archived