Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do Redskin players have the same connection with the fans as they use to?

RichmondRedskin88

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Some still have it, like Cooley and Daniels, but it has largely disappeared. I think it's less to do with winning than free agency. Players used to spend their career in one town. Now almost everyone moves around.

You think back to RFK and how players had this urgency to win. They always talked about not hurting the fans and how the city was after a loss.

Is it still there or has that disappeared with the losing seasons?

You're 22 years old. What do you remember about the RFK days? :ols:

Just messin' with ya man. But I think winning and connecting with the fans are two different things. Players want to win for themselves and the guys around them.I'm not saying players don't feel for the fans, but if they don't want to win for themselves first, the rest is just lip service.

I think Cooley assumed wrongly that asking Willie Parker out for a beer was the cause of his comments that the redskins only cared about partying. I think it was Portis, & Moss he was talking about.

No

And I don't blame them one stinking bit

Think about it. You come to DC and your fans ***** about everything you do wrong and appreciate nothing you do right. If you were working in an enviroment such as this would you appreciate it?

No

Think about it. You come to DC and your fans ***** about everything you do wrong and appreciate nothing you do right. If you were working in an enviroment such as this would you appreciate it?

What a ridiculous thing to say...are you serious? They are paid MILLIONS, they shouldn't have such sensitive egos. Plus, have you noticed how they've been over the last, oh, 20 years or so? They have pretty much sucked! So of course fans aren't gonna connect to them, and we'll dang well boo them when the D gives up a big 3rd and long (again), or the Offense goes 3 and out (again).

Fans have been ****ing about these players long before they came to DC (or the NFL).

Read an SEC or Big 10 message board one time, or turn on sports radio in a Texas town where they break down the HS depth charts.

Players are used to fans demanding (usually) unreasonable standards from the moment they became star players in HS, to their days in college, and then on to the NFL.

Auburn fans ****ed about Jason Campbell just as much as Redskins fans did.

Do any NFL players have the same connection with the fans as they used to?

Back when I was your age, players were paid well but even the top vets (adjusted for inflation) often made little more than what a bottom tier rookie makes today. They were well paid but pretty normal guys you might hang with (and I did a many times since one of the main places I went was also the main place the players would go to get drunk before practice). Now, they are like celebrities people are in awe of and would send out a massive tweet about sharing a beer with one.

What a ridiculous thing to say...are you serious? They are paid MILLIONS, they shouldn't have such sensitive egos.

Because money is the end all answer for some of you

The players just want respect

Why wouldn't they?

And why bring up what they make like this?

Thats the economics of the game they play and not in there control

Yet as they say haters gonna hate eh?

Plus, have you noticed how they've been over the last, oh, 20 years or so? They have pretty much sucked! So of course fans aren't gonna connect to them, and we'll dang well boo them when the D gives up a big 3rd and long (again), or the Offense goes 3 and out (again).

As bad as my teams been over the past 20 years it could have always been worse.

Perspective is everything

But hey there is another thread over there that says we are miserable and that the teams a total disaster.

Things never change

---------- Post added July-19th-2011 at 01:43 PM ----------

Auburn fans ****ed about Jason Campbell just as much as Redskins fans did.

Who wouldn't?

You think back to RFK and how players had this urgency to win. They always talked about not hurting the fans and how the city was after a loss.

Is it still there or has that disappeared with the losing seasons?

Back during the RFK Stadium days, players stayed with their teams much longer...there was no internet, no 24-hour news cycle, no "instant" analysis of every move, so there was less to make fans feel like the players didn't care about anything except themselves. A player had to actually voice that viewpoint back then in order to have most fans feel that way. Then again, there was no Twitter, thus fans could not realistically get into an off-the-cuff conversation with players on their favorite team unless they got lucky and saw someone in a restaurant or bar or something (and even then, they'd probably send their girlfriend over to talk to the guy to make sure it's really him *rimshot*)...So maybe players "connect" in a different manner now with fans, one that's less emotional but is more personal, maybe? Then again, RFK was a much smaller and far more intimate stadium...you were right there with the players within close proximity, even players from opposing teams talked about how they could feel the fans as if they were standing right behind them. That creates a level of "connection" that bigger, more modern stadiums will never reproduce.

As for the players talking about "hurting" the fans and the city after a loss...I don't detect it being said any less or any more than 25 years ago.

Because money is the end all answer for some of you

The players just want respect

Why wouldn't they?

And why bring up what they make like this?

Thats the economics of the game they play and not in there control

Yet as they say haters gonna hate eh?

As bad as my teams been over the past 20 years it could have always been worse.

Perspective is everything

But hey there is another thread over there that says we are miserable and that the teams a total disaster.

Things never change

---------- Post added July-19th-2011 at 01:43 PM ----------

Who wouldn't?

My point is that some huge 6'6" dude making millions is gonna cry that fans boo him? Give me a break, and suck it up you big pansy!!!!

I love this team, and support them, and I even think we'll see marginal improvements this year (I'm thinking an 8-8 type year), then in 2012 we see much better things, like playoffs. I'm definitely not a hater, but the individuality of some of these guys just makes me sick. Stop crying realize, like Sean Taylor said, that you're getting paid a King's ransom to play a child's game, and just play ball already.

Enough of the lockout, just get a deal done. Enough whining that fans don't support you, just shut up and play. You make millions, you have a job most people would die for, and you complain. Stuff like that just ticks me off.

Millionaire football players are my heroes and it is important that they like me.

Athletes play for a variety of reasons and have a variety of inspirations. If the players revealed those, a lot of you would probably cry.

Here are some things to consider.

1. Almost none of these guys made the NFL because they don't care about winning or losing. Winning is a lot more fun. I would guess that the number of guys are legitimately unaffected after a loss are less than 5 percent.

2. That does not mean that players live and die with losses the way fans do.

3. How many millionaire hedge fund managers do you know that want to "have a beer" with the some mouth breathing fans at a Glory Days? Why do you think football players want to do that?

No

Maybe because we are tired of players coming here just to gain $$$$$$$ to add to their bank accounts and not performing on the field. Back in the old days players played for their love of the game, not millions of $$'s. What has this team done right in the past 15 years? Not a whole lot

The title should be reversed to do the fans have the same connection with the players that they used to have.

And the answer is a resounding no. How do you identify with a multi-millionaire athlete? I have ZERO in common with these guys now. Going back, players used to have to work summer jobs to survive in the off season. They'd shop in the same places as you. Eat at the same places. Drink in the same bars. Live in the same neighbourhoods. PJ mentioning over the page that Dick James lived on the same street as his mom and used to throw the ball around with the neighbourhood kids. Could you seriously imagine many, if any, of today's players doing that? They'd be liable to call the cops if any kids knocked at their ubber expensive door.

The Chris Cooley's of this World are few and far between these days. In the main, there's ZERO connection between today's player and the average fan on the street. And it all comes down to one thing at the bottom of it all.

The mighty fricking dollar.

Hail.

I heard 2 live crew is going to be there singing "It's all about the U." 'Tana said that he is going to be in the background shouting "double" before Luke yells "U." It should be a good time for friends and family.

To get back to the original poster, I agree with most on here in that it depends on the players. But the culture of the league has changed as well as the society of the United States. People see players now a days and they think dollar signs. That's not to say a lot of players are shut-ins.... I think the local media shows that to be very untrue, but most of them may be a little timid about it.

I haven't been to a training camp or interacted with any of the players there (this will be my first year going out to Ashburn) so I don't know what it's like there. Growing up in Sterling, VA in the 80's I saw guys all the time. And as a kid, it was the coolest thing to get a high five from Earnest Byner or one of the members of the Posse. But when I go back up there to visit family, it's just way too crowded, as much of the area has become. So you don't see that intamacy you used to, but I don't think that's a slight on the players at all. You still see a lot of them trying to get involved in the community, like Zo and recently Terrance Austin.

I think the answer to your question is yes, they still do have the connection. But I think it's easier for the player to go out and enjoy himself with his family if the team is winning. That way they don't have to deal with fans making a scene in public when they are just trying to grab a bite to eat.

HAIL!

there is definitely still a connection with the players and the fans. look at lorenzo and what he is doing in the community with his aces foundation. or cooley and his gallery? that along with various camps held by players throughout the area proves that these guys are just as if not more connected to the community than they were then...

I'm hardly one to speak of how things were back in thee olde dayse, but I can only imagine that with free agency spreading players far and wide, a lack of personal connection is inevitable. Further, massive salaries and money squabbles have dehumanized players in the eye of the average joe. Outside of a few charming exceptions, I see most NFL players as larger than life as opposed to human beings with flaws and a life outside of the game, making ****ups like Plexiglass and Vick easier to bash.

The answer is no, not even close. Yes, players do charity work in the city they have the biggest connection with, or they'll retire in one city and do broadcasting from there or something (Walker, Arrington, Huff, Jurgensen, etc.) and I honestly believe that it's at that time they develop their true connection to the fans because in a way they become one themselves. But free agency has created the end of the old "hometown guy" type relationship between players and fans. Obviously back in the day when a player was signed to a squad and had no option to go anywhere he was going to develop a relationship with the people that come to watch him play every week. Yes it may suck to come to the realization that the players aren't even close to as worried about what we as fans think as they used to be, but it's just the way it is. Fan attitudes towards players have changed since free agency as well. It used to be when a player came to town or got drafted and played somewhat well or mediocre you kinda got used to it and hoped they got better. Now you just look at him and wonder what the team is gonna be able to get for him at the next opportunity. I know that my attitude towards players would be different if I was around a few decades ago and knew I would be watching pretty much the same team every week each year, but I know it's not. It's the reason Chris Cooley is the only modern player jersey I own and all the rest are throwbacks because I don't feel like wasting my money on the jersey of a player that's gonna be gone next year. Moral of the story here is, you can't really expect a player to come here, have a couple bad years while knowing he can go somewhere else after his contract is up and worry about whether you like him or not.

Archived