Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFC East's biggest future stars

Goingforburgundy

http://espn.go.com/blog/NFCEast/post/_/id/28253/nfc-easts-biggest-stars-2014-2016

Brian Orakpo, Washington Redskins linebacker: The switch to the 3-4 defense in Washington is likely to make Orakpo a star, especially now that he's got a year of it under his belt and will start to be surrounded with more complementary pieces. He'll be 28 at the start of the 2014 season, which is a little bit older than the rest of the guys on this list. But he's already got 19.5 sacks in his first two years, so his learning curve is fairly advanced. By 2014, he'll be one of the better-recognized sack artists in the entire league.

I could easily 40-45 sacks over the next 3 years for Orakpo as he will only get better with better lineman we will pick up the next couple years. Coupled with Ryan, we could have a very menacing pass rush.

I think we're steadily putting together a quality young roster that has a plethora of potential future stars. Players like Kelly and Hankerson at wide out; Banks as one of the most electrifying return men seen right across the league in a long time; FreddyD at TE who's potentially a better, quicker, more athletic pass catching TE than the all pro Cooley ahead of him; Orakpo and Kerrigan as rushing LB's; and Landry coming into his own at SS to name but 7.

The results may not be showing it as yet, but the future's looking pretty bright for the coming years for the B&G.

Hail.

It is ignorant to state that the "switch" to the 3-4 will make him a star. As if he couldn't be a star at end in a 4-3.

Oh for God's sake. Some of you will whine any chance you get when it comes to the media. It was a complimentary write-up on Sak and STILL someone will nitpick.

A lot of you cry, piss and moan about media disrespect even though this team hasn't done anything to warrant that said respect.

I think we're steadily putting together a quality young roster that has a plethora of potential future stars. Players like Kelly and Hankerson at wide out; Banks as one of the most electrifying return men seen right across the league in a long time; FreddyD at TE who's potentially a better, quicker, more athletic pass catching TE than the all pro Cooley ahead of him; Orakpo and Kerrigan as rushing LB's; and Landry coming into his own at SS to name but 7.

The results may not be showing it as yet, but the future's looking pretty bright for the coming years for the B&G.

Hail.

Go back to sleep, Homer.:D

That's not what they were saying at all. Get off the soapbox that we need to switch back to a 4-3

Since you are so good at reading into what people are saying, exactly what part of my post implied that I want them to switch back to a 4-3, much less being on a soap box about it?

---------- Post added July-18th-2011 at 11:03 AM ----------

Oh for God's sake. Some of you will whine any chance you get when it comes to the media. It was a complimentary write-up on Sak and STILL someone will nitpick.

A lot of you cry, piss and moan about media disrespect even though this team hasn't done anything to warrant that said respect.

You disagree that Orakpo could be a star in a 4-3 system? If you do, post about it. Otherwise don't "nitpick" my post.

---------- Post added July-18th-2011 at 11:05 AM ----------

Way out there on the limb aren't they?

Let's see. Rak has averaged 10 sacks a season his first two years and is a pro bowler his first two seasons.

I think he's a current star in the future he's only going to be better.

I agree 100% with this.

It is ignorant to state that the "switch" to the 3-4 will make him a star. As if he couldn't be a star at end in a 4-3.
Since you are so good at reading into what people are saying, exactly what part of my post implied that I want them to switch back to a 4-3, much less being on a soap box about it?

What part of the OP implied that he couldn't be a star in the 4-3? I think what the writer was saying is that big plays - sacks, turnovers - are more prevalent in the 3-4 and that 'Rak will flourish in that environment. Isn't that what got us excited when Shanny brought Haslett in last year? Dude is a already a beast but I think he was saying that the new system would catapult him further up the NFL star foodchain in a hurry.

I was thinking this, too. Smh.

I didn't think his post was nit-picky. All he was doing was discussing a point in the article. If you don't want to discuss the content of the article, then why are you in here?

I'm just not understanding why there was a problem with what was said in the OP. It's not like he talked negatively about Orakpo playing in a 4-3, before he said Orakpo playing in a 3-4 would likely make him a star. I just thought he was saying that it'd play to his strengths, and that's it. Not him saying that Orakpo couldn't do the same in a 4-3.

Personally to me at this point, I think Hakeem Nicks will emerge as the NFC East's premier WR. Dez Bryant is way too much of a headcase, and I highly doubt he's going to reach his potential. Nicks doesn't seem to have that issue. But I fully agree that slowly but surely, Brian Orakpo will be more known and respected around the league. :)

Archived