Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Browser question

Bang

Hi y'all.. I feel sort of silly asking this, but I can't figure it out.

I recently upgraded to windows 7.. i use the same IE8, though.

ever since, as I type here on ES (and occasionally other places online) certain letters bring up commands that run and erase words, insert things from my clipboard, etc.

It's like macros gone crazy.

A lot of times a word like "should" or others with that LD ending will cause the 'file' or 'edit' menu to come up and execute whatever letter command is pressed next.

Sometimes "s" will set off things.. i'll be typing away and hear a chime, I look up and see my start menu and i'll be typing half a paragraph in the search bar.

does anyone know how to turn down the sensitivity of this, or why it may be doing it in the first place?

I've looked at my hand placement and I've tried to notice if i may be accidentally pressing my Ctrl button and setting off a command, but I don't think that I am, and when i've tested it, the button isn't as sensitive as this seems to be.

It's driving me nuts.

~Bang

I try to use Chrome and firefox,, but I can't ever get either one of them to stay connected. They constantly are dropping off and have been for about a year. I used to use firefox exclusively, would never use IE for my own browsing. But Firefox stopped being reliable for me.

IE does as well, especially lately. but I think that is because my pc still has the google re-direct virus, and I absolutely cannot get rid of it. I have tried every tool that can possibly do it, and it simply won't get rid of it.

But I don't think that is causing this. All that does is send my google searches to random shopping sites. I am convinced I have to clear my hard drive completely to get rid of it, I am just not in a position to do it just yet.. too many projects going on. In a couple of weeks I'll have the ability to totally wipe everything and start fresh, but i can't afford the down time just now.

I HATE IE.. it makes things like this possible. It's like an open window for every jackoff hacker and malware maker.

For the record, I got this thing from famous fonts dot com. (No link, no one go there.)

I have used that site a hundred times in the past, never a problem, but now, all I did was go there to grab a font like I've done many times before, and it dropped this crap in me as soon as I clicked "search".

I would likely never have this problem at all if firefox hadn't changed.

I think I may need a new keyboard. This one might be losing it.

~Bang

I try to use Chrome and firefox,, but I can't ever get either one of them to stay connected. They constantly are dropping off and have been for about a year. I used to use firefox exclusively, would never use IE for my own browsing. But Firefox stopped being reliable for me.

IE does as well, especially lately. but I think that is because my pc still has the google re-direct virus, and I absolutely cannot get rid of it. I have tried every tool that can possibly do it, and it simply won't get rid of it.

But I don't think that is causing this. All that does is send my google searches to random shopping sites. I am convinced I have to clear my hard drive completely to get rid of it, I am just not in a position to do it just yet.. too many projects going on. In a couple of weeks I'll have the ability to totally wipe everything and start fresh, but i can't afford the down time just now.

I think I may need a new keyboard. This one might be losing it.

~Bang

Dude... get combofix ASAP... Google (I mean yahoo) it... I've gotten it twice in the past month due to bad stream links... disable your antiviruses and run it... takes about ten minutes, worked 2 times out of 2 for me

I did combofix.. i've done it a ton of times. just again on thursday night'

I DL the latest, uninstall AVG, run combofix, let it do it's whole thing, takes a good hour... and it somehow doesn't get it.

I've run TDSSKiller from Kaspersky

I've run Sophos

I've run Hitman

I've run SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes, Adaware, etc.

I've had rootkits before, Combofix is GREAT,, works on everything I ever had,, but this.

This kind of crap is sort of an occupational hazard.. as a web developer I am often on sites to learn some flash or some java or something .. these sites run scripts, run activeX, and some of them are set up by idiots who drop stuff in your system./

Combofix is the best.

Except this thing. Nothing gets it.

~Bang

Can I ask why you haven't backedup your essential files and wiped your machine / reinstall the OS?

If you have a persistent, known virus that you are unable to get rid of (definitely happens, you have my sympathy) -- that seems like the only path forward. Your browser auto-complete issues are very possibly related to either that or your keyboard.

Can I ask why you haven't backedup your essential files and wiped your machine / reinstall the OS?

If you have a persistent, known virus that you are unable to get rid of (definitely happens, you have my sympathy) -- that seems like the only path forward. Your browser auto-complete issues are very possibly related to either that or your keyboard.

Did it three weeks ago when this thing first appeared and couldn't be removed.

I did back up 90% of my files. (forgot about fonts, tho,, and i am kicking myself. Anyone have "space toaster"? It's the one below in my sig image that says "BANG" .. lost that one, and it is my logo. ) in my business I collect fonts.

Anyway, it was wiped and Windows 7 put on , and upgraded to Adobe CS5. (Problem is, the CS5 is a hacked version.. unfortunately I was happy with CS4, but the guy who tried to fix the virus went ahead and wiped and figured he was doing me a favor upgrading me to CS5. I don't like to use hacked programs, especially when my entire business is riding on them.)

Unfortunately, I've been CRUSHED with work in the last 2 months, and the few days I was down with the original incarnation of this virus (There was other viruses that had also come in with it.. nasty things that had to be removed immediately.) put me way behind and have necessitated me burning every candle I have at both ends to catch up.

So in a nutshell here is where I am.. i'm using the CS5 to complete some projects before it's trial window is up. I am not going to run the crack program.. i prefer to buy my business software and get the support that comes with it.

Once i complete these projects (and subsequenlty have enough cash on hand to purchase the full CS5 suite) I am going to do just that. I am going to wipe it clean, and I am considering re-installing XP,, I like it better.

I just need to research and be sure CS5 will run on it. CS4 did just fine. I didn't figure my budget on having to replace it this year. when the guy wiped my system he wiped the virtual hard drive that it sat in, and it's gone.

So, I do have a plan, I just can't implement it yet.

~Bang

So, I do have a plan, I just can't implement it yet.

~Bang

I feel for you, man. That really is a bad feeling -- knowing what's wrong, but not having the time to fix it properly.

Here's hoping you can get your head back above water soon :cheers:

Is it possible to partition and run Windows 7 in one, and XP in the other?

I've got a 64 bit system, I'd hate to waste it, but I liked so many more of the features of XP (Namely the ability to record directly thru my sound card.)

~Bang

Is it possible to partition and run Windows 7 in one, and XP in the other?

I've got a 64 bit system, I'd hate to waste it, but I liked so many more of the features of XP (Namely the ability to record directly thru my sound card.)

~Bang

You can partition the drive and install both o/s.

Or you can just install 7 and then run xp compatibility mode (virtual). It actually runs fairly fast

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode

Do you do clean installs normally? And do you create an image after your install is complete (ghost or acronis)? Sounds like you would definitely benefit by having a clean image to reinstall whenever viruses hit.

Not yet.. it's just an annoyance at this point.

Once I am out from under (hopefully by the end of the week)

I am going to follow your link and the advice of the good folks here on ES, and partition XP and Windows 7.

Now, let me ask this..

If I do this, should I bother with Windows 7, or go with something like Ubuntu?

~Bang

Archived