Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Updated 6/18: Post 15 per CNN: Clemens Acquited

ACW

Now, I think this shouldn't've been a trial (lying to Congress? CONGRESS lies. Obstructing Congress? Like they're actually gonna do important stuff), but if my taxes ARE going to this, DON'T MAKE SUCH AN OBVIOUS MISTAKE PROSECUTORS.

One of Judge Walton's pretrial rulings was an admonition that prosecutors would be unable to call Andy Pettitte's wife, Laura, to the stand to repeat things Clemens' former teammate had told her he'd heard from Clemens. That's called hearsay because she hadn't talked to Clemens herself. Yet on Thursday morning, prosecutors played a videotape of Maryland Congressman Elijah Cummings quoting from an affidavit given by Laura Pettitte. Then, while the judge called attorneys from both sides to the bench to discuss this miscue, they left a slide of her statement up on a projection screen for the jury to read.

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bryan-burwell/article_525422e5-a65b-5e1b-9c98-53f9cb85d18f.html#ixzz1SGbvXfqm

:doh:

Yeah apparently the judge was scolding the prosecution and said that this was a mistake that a first year law student would have made, pretty monumentally stupid if you ask me. But, then the whole trial is pretty stupid, if only we could charge politicians with lying to America.

with all the other much larger and important things that need addressing in our society at the moment Congress is concerned about a sports figure lying while under oath? How much of our money are they wasting on this nonsense?

I'm wondering if you said the same thing about Clinton. :ols: All we heard then was "perjury is perjury whether it's about millions of dollars, murder or an affair." I love to see how time, distance, and of course politics changes attitudes.

Part of me thinks they intentionally walked him.

Me too, the prosecuters opening statement is the most important part of the trial and sets the tone of the entire process. These opening statements are rehearesed, and proof read numerous times before the prosecuter communicates it to the court. So it's unthinkable that this sort of mistake could be made unless it was intentional IMO.

• 11 months later...
Lying to a Congressional Witchhunt is a citizen's duty, not a crime.

you do understand that he plead to tell the truth and was under oath, no? That is called perjury. And what makes it worse is that Clemens ASKED for the hearing.

As for this case, as soon as Andy Pettite refused to snitch this trial was over.

Clemens is still a HOFer for me, even if he was a roided up bully. I havent cared about these trials ever. Just make sure Bonds gets in first ballot too.

Now, I think this shouldn't've been a trial (lying to Congress? CONGRESS lies. Obstructing Congress? Like they're actually gonna do important stuff), but if my taxes ARE going to this, DON'T MAKE SUCH AN OBVIOUS MISTAKE PROSECUTORS. :doh:

The issue really is about our legal system... The feds caught a guy dealing steriods formerly associated with the yankee's. They told him he had a choice to go away for 20 years or flip on big name yankee players. He flipped. Problem is the guy has a track record of being a scumbag.. so who can really believe him?

---------- Post added June-19th-2012 at 01:47 PM ----------

you do understand that he plead to tell the truth and was under oath, no? That is called perjury. And what makes it worse is that Clemens ASKED for the hearing.

As for this case, as soon as Andy Pettite refused to snitch this trial was over.

Clemens is still a HOFer for me, even if he was a roided up bully. I havent cared about these trials ever. Just make sure Bonds gets in first ballot too.

Bonds will never get into the HOF, and Clemens might not either...

This jury found that Clemens was more creditable than his acussor. It found him innnocent on all six charges of purgery and obstruction of justice.

But baseball has historically had tougher standards than the law. The chicago blacksocks were found innocent of fixing the world series, but non ever played again for MLB.

Nor have any been allowed on the ballot of the HOF, even though shoeless Joe probable would have gotten in otherwise.

It was a joke. Clemens is an idiot for saying what he said. And why anyone would want to testify before Congress is a mystery to me. Self-serving ignorant clowns.

I can't stand Clemens, but not because he did performance enhancing drugs. Of course he did, and so did everyone else during that era. He belongs in the HoF because he dominated hitters who were also on PEDs. Bonds belongs in the HoF because he dominated pitchers who were also on PEDs.

Baseball wants to keep lying to itself, but I don't have to play along.

I was at Cooperstown a year ago spring, and they were grappling with the issue of PEDs and their role in the history of the game. It's a fundamental problem - how does an institution devoted to chronicling the history of baseball deal with the Steroids Era, both in terms of presenting baseball records broken during that time and the artifacts that come with that era?

This article touches on how the Basseball Hall of Fame and Museum is trying to do that...

http://www.syracuse.com/kirst/index.ssf/2012/04/post_262.html

Archived