Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New (FL) law forbidding doctors to talk to patients about guns angers physicians

Mad Mike

WTF is wrong with Florida? I swear that state if chalk full of ****ing morons.

Hey, the competition for "most over the edge Republican state" gets tougher every year.

(The Democrats just gave the title to California, decades ago.)

:)

With all the anti Republican remarks and anger that doctors are not allowed to ask questions, that do not relate to WHY I am there for the visit by the way, I am amazed. Why do you all just take it as a given that a doctor is just allowed to snoop into my private life? For the safety of the children? Ok. Is he asking if my furniture is new and sturdy, that I shovel my drive during snow, only use 70 degree water when I bathe, am not an aggressive driver or if I am cleaning up after my dog? No, he isnt asking those questiosn with each visit. So why is he allowed to ask if I have a gun? Other than that question relates to his political view of gun ownership?

With all the anti Republican remarks and anger that doctors are not allowed to ask questions, that do not relate to WHY I am there for the visit by the way, I am amazed. Why do you all just take it as a given that a doctor is just allowed to snoop into my private life? For the safety of the children? Ok. Is he asking if my furniture is new and sturdy, that I shovel my drive during snow, only use 70 degree water when I bathe, am not an aggressive driver or if I am cleaning up after my dog? No, he isnt asking those questiosn with each visit. So why is he allowed to ask if I have a gun? Other than that question relates to his political view of gun ownership?

Three things: How in the world can a doctor take care of you if he doesn't do an inventory of all the stuff you are involved in? Is asking about allergies invasive? Diet? Alcohol consumption?

Two: He's an American. He has the freedom to ask anything he wants. You have the right to not answer, answer, or tell him to mind his own beeswax. Censoring free speech is the opposite of what America is supposed to be about.

Three: I was raised by a Holocaust survivor. I have argued that Neo Nazis have the right to march, speak, and hand out literature. I'll be damned if a doctor deserves to have fewer rights in this country than a Nazi.

He can still take care of me but owning a gun isnt a disease. I am not going to have an allergic reaction to being around one. Stupidity around a gun is a different story and the doctor cannot cure that. You are right in that he can ask but it doesnt mean i am going to answer. The fact that he is asking me questions that have nothing to do with my reason for the visit is what I have a problem with. How does his knowing or not knowing that I own a gun help him diagnose me or my children?

Here's why.

Because the government has no business banning anyone from talking to anyone about anything.

Here's a tip. If a doctor asks you a personal question, you can be a ****ing ADULT and tell him it's not his business.

FURTHER, you can then decide for YOURSELF if you'd like to continue to see a doctor that asks personal questions.

You don't need the NANNY STATE helping you from having to be an adult by protecting you from a ****ing QUESTION.

As to why it's anti-republican, it's because that is EXACTLY WHAT THE ****ING REPUBLICANS WHO PASSED THIS STUPID ASS LAW TELL US THEY BELIEVE IN.

Jesus, the density of the modern Republican. It's like there's a black hole on your forehead compressing your brains into these tiny pinpricks of nothngness that weigh ten kazillion tons.

Ban me if you must Jumbo, I am mad as hell, and just can't take it anymore

Network2.jpg

~Bang

He can still take care of me but owning a gun isnt a disease. I am not going to have an allergic reaction to being around one. Stupidity around a gun is a different story and the doctor cannot cure that. You are right in that he can ask but it doesnt mean i am going to answer. The fact that he is asking me questions that have nothing to do with my reason for the visit is what I have a problem with. How does his knowing or not knowing that I own a gun help him diagnose me or my children?

And I don't have a problem with your frustration at a line of questioning. I do have extreme problems with making it illegal to ask questions or to provide counsel. Heck, one role of a doctor is to provide counsel.

Edit: And please don't ban Bang for being correct.

Here's why.

Because the government has no business banning anyone from talking to anyone about anything.

You know, the thing Republicans tell us all the time.

Here's a tip. If a doctor asks you a personal question, you can be a ****ing ADULT and tell him it's not his business.

FURTHER, you can then decide for YOURSELF if you'd like to continue to see a doctor that asks personal question.

As to why it's anti-republican, it's because that is EXACLTY WHAT THE ****ING REPUBLICANS WHO PASSED THIS STUPID ASS LAW TELL US THEY BELIEVE IN.

Jesus, the density of the modern Republican. It's like there's a black hole on your forehead compressing your brains into these tiny pinpricks of nothngness that weigh ten kazillion tons.

Ban me if you must Jumbo, I am mad as hell, and just can't take it anymore

Network2.jpg

~Bang

This would be your opinion and I can respect it this time without having to use name calling and yelling. I am curious why ANYONE, repub or dem wouldnt have a problem with a doctor asking you a question that has NOTHING to do with his profession or any illness you might have. I go to the doctor for medical advice and treatment, why is that question or any others of the like pertinant to what he does? If you can give me a reason I am all ears. I dont really know you but it seems you like to bash Conservatives so here is your chance to get me to see your side.

---------- Post added July-17th-2011 at 08:11 PM ----------

And I don't have a problem with your frustration at a line of questioning. I do have extreme problems with making it illegal to ask questions or to provide counsel. Heck, one role of a doctor is to provide counsel.

Edit: And please don't ban Bang for being correct.

Counsel for medical advice, correct. My portfolio is just as relavent to him as my gun ownership status (they both have zero). When I go in for a cold he is supposed to dig into my investment habits?

For what it's worth, Repo, Bang is saying exactly what I am saying.

The First Ammendment and Freedom of Speech supercedes your annoyance at being asked questions you find irksome or inappropriate. The government has no right to ban speech unless it is dematory or incites violence and even then, most of the time it doesn't have the right to do so.

Whether a doctor should ask those questions is irrelevent. The government should not ban the ability to ask them.

This would be your opinion and I can respect it this time without having to use name calling and yelling. I am curious why ANYONE, repub or dem wouldnt have a problem with a doctor asking you a question that has NOTHING to do with his profession or any illness you might have. I go to the doctor for medical advice and treatment, why is that question or any others of the like pertinant to what he does? If you can give me a reason I am all ears. I dont really know you but it seems you like to bash Conservatives so here is your chance to get me to see your side.

What other topics would you like the government to ban for you?

Personally I don't think doctors need a reason to prevent the government from banning political speech. If they had a forum focused on pissing off conservatives that bring their kids to their offices where they traded talking points on annoying the parents of the patients about guns and laughed about it. I'd still oppose the government banning it. The government doesn't have the power to restrict speech like this and doing so is entirely wrong.

For what it's worth, Repo, Bang is saying exactly what I am saying.

The First Ammendment and Freedom of Speech supercedes your annoyance at being asked questions you find irksome or inappropriate. The government has no right to ban speech unless it is dematory or incites violence and even then, most of the time it doesn't have the right to do so.

Whether a doctor should ask those questions is irrelevent. The government should not ban the ability to ask them.

I am very conservative but am open to others ideas. I just wanted to see how the other side comes up with their reasonings. I can agree that you have the right to say/ask most anything that you want with this exception. A doctor asking those types of questions can only have ill intentions or negative consequences. Again, I went to him for medical advice. The only thing that can come of him asking that question is that he decides that it is against his views and decide to stop seeing me as a patient. Now, if that were the case I wouldnt mind getting a new doctor. But why should he have free reign to ask the question (not pertinant to his profession OR our relationship) that leads him to that decision? If I have pissed you and Bang off, my apologies. Just trying to be open, which is what I hear all libs and dems scream that that we are not.

Counsel for medical advice, correct. My portfolio is just as relavent to him as my gun ownership status (they both have zero). When I go in for a cold he is supposed to dig into my investment habits?

Just to enter the land of the ridiculous. Your portfolio is medically relevent. Economic stress is not only the leading indicator for divorse, but causes a myriad of health related side effects including impacting your blood pressure and immune function. So, if you've lost your job or your portfolio tanks or your wife leaves you or you suddenly feel the need to own a gun... all of these could matter medically.

For example, if you've never owned a gun before, but you were threatened or attacked and felt scared enough that you felt the need to get a gun... that info could be important to rule in or out some stress related symptoms. If your blood pressure is much higher than it normally is, but you've undergone life changing stimuli... then maybe we're not talking heart disease, but something else.

But regardless, the government has no right to gag anyone!

Edit: You haven't pissed me off. I write dramatically. I do care about censorship. The moment we start banning uncomfortable topics we become the Soviet Union. If you want to individually prevent that conversation that's your right. We must not let the government take away our rights.

Just to enter the land of the ridiculous. Your portfolio is medically relevent. Economic stress is not only the leading indicator for divorse, but causes a myriad of health related side effects including impacting your blood pressure and immune function. So, if you've lost your job or your portfolio tanks or your wife leaves you or you suddenly feel the need to own a gun... all of these could matter medically.

For example, if you've never owned a gun before, but you were threatened or attacked and felt scared enough that you felt the need to get a gun... that info could be important to rule in or out some stress related symptoms. If your blood pressure is much higher than it normally is, but you've undergone life changing stimuli... then maybe we're not talking heart disease, but something else.

But regardless, the government has no right to gag anyone!

Edit: You haven't pissed me off. I write dramatically. I do care about censorship. The moment we start banning uncomfortable topics we become the Soviet Union. If you want to individually prevent that conversation that's your right. We must not let the government take away our rights.

It's just my opinion. The question isnt right and it isnt professional. Say you get pulled over tomorrow morning. While the officer is writing your ticket he starts to ask you if your wife is hot, what she wears to bed or how much money you make. It is his right to say whatever he wants but do those questions have anything to do with his job? Are you filing a complaint after the fact? Is he getting fired, or at the least suspended for his actions? And couldnt it all have been avoided had he simply been told to not say anything or ask any questions that did not directly relate to him, you and that traffic stop?

Fair example. I don't mind internal rules guiding behavior. Now, I do think that it's a bit more inflamatory to get into sexually suggestive talk about my wife than it is to ask if you have a gun. Maybe that's just me :D

Overall though, if the cop mentions that it was a ball game yesterday, clearly that has nothing to do with his job. Government shouldn't be preventing him from yacking. The other obvious discongruity is that the policeman is a government employee versus a guy running his own business. He is representing the city, county, state and has to meet the code set for that. Just like a Marine, soldier, or sailor when in uniform are somewhat restricted in the opinions they can give.

A doctor is a private citizen. The government has no business trying to limit his freedom of speech. Heck, if he wants to tell me about his trip to the grocery store and how he picks produce he can. I might find it tedious or annoying, but he can do so. I can also tell him to shaddup or find a new doctor. However, while I have the right to do that the government does not.

Fair example. I don't mind internal rules guiding behavior. Now, I do think that it's a bit more inflamatory to get into sexually suggestive talk about my wife than it is to ask if you have a gun. Maybe that's just me :D

Overall though, if the cop mentions that it was a ball game yesterday, clearly that has nothing to do with his job. Government shouldn't be preventing him from yacking. The other obvious discongruity is that the policeman is a government employee versus a guy running his own business. He is representing the city, county, state and has to meet the code set for that. Just like a Marine, soldier, or sailor when in uniform are somewhat restricted in the opinions they can give.

A doctor is a private citizen. The government has no business trying to limit his freedom of speech. Heck, if he wants to tell me about his trip to the grocery store and how he picks produce he can. I might find it tedious or annoying, but he can do so. I can also tell him to shaddup or find a new doctor. However, while I have the right to do that the government does not.

Not bringing the wife into it, just an example. He does have a strict code of ethics he has to follow though. Not exactly like a government employee but not far from it either. Him telling you about his trip to the market isnt factoring into his treatment of you. His gun question does. When obamacare finally takes effect all doctors will be federal employees anyway... Sorry, couldnt resist the jab.

I'm a doctor. On my morning rounds today, I talked with patients and their families about the Nationals, the soccer game, the weather, birds, a cousin's upcoming wedding, someone's vacation plans, a particularly nasty local crime, and furniture choices. I must be Repo's worst nightmare.

Ah well, I tried. I suspect you're hearing me, but are too stubborn to admit it. After all, I really am arguing a traditional conservative point of view that is also a traditional liberal point of view. One of the proud areas of overlap.'

Bclo5 shame on you for confusing your patients by making them think that the Nationals were playing soccer today at a wedding

I'm a doctor. On my morning rounds today, I talked with patients and their families about the Nationals, the soccer game, the weather, birds, a cousin's upcoming wedding, someone's vacation plans, a particularly nasty local crime, and furniture choices. I must be Repo's worst nightmare.

Not at all. Again, you didnt use any of that information in diagnosing or treating those patients. Now, had you decided a patient was not a Nats fan and decided to drop him that would be a different story (which is the only outcome of asking about my gun). As a doctor if you have a feeling that I may be allergic to gunpowder or copper then absolutely the gun question is relavent. Otherwise, why do you need to know that?

?

\You're curious why anyone would not have a problem with a doctor asking you a personal question/

I don't know that anyone has a problem or not.

the point is it should not be the GOVERNMENT'S BUSINESS to stop people from asking a QUESTION.

You give me a REASON why that should be a LAW. I'm all ears.

Understand this.

It is not my OPINION that the republican party screams from every mountaintop you can find that they believe government should NOT involve itself in your private life if at all possible.

That is a straight FACT. BIG government is supposedly against everything the right believes.

There is no way in hell you or any of the other sheep who make up the right can justify banning SPEECH when they champion LESS GOVERNMENT.

And as usual with you clowns, when someone has a problem with the brain dead ****s who support these lying sacks of ****, when you point out that they SAY one thing and DO another.. and when you point out that what they just did is actually and truly un-American, they are labelled "anti-conservative".

I am much more conservative than anything considered liberal.

In no WAY does restricting SPEECH fall under "conservatism" except in the minds of the lunatics who have hijacked the party.

If you can agree with a law like this, you're no conservative. You are FOR nanny state big government, you are FOR government restricting speech. You THINK you're doing something for the 2nd amendment, and you're DESTROYING the 1st.

Got that? There's no grey area there.

You say you don't want your doctor asking you this question?

Can't you just say NO? Can't you act like a grown up and say "it's not really your business"" or "I'd rather not discuss it"?

Do you NEED a ****ing LAW to prevent any form of speech to protect your precious guns from even being ASKED about?

What are you afraid of? Someone asking you a QUESTION?

What do you call a person who wants the government sticking it's nose in and halting non-threatening speech?

What do you call a person who believes government has a place in telling anyone how they can run their business?

If you call it a conservative, I call you something that will definitely buy me my seven day pass.

More bull**** from the bull****ters.

I do note that not one other conservative on this site has jumped to even argue about this. Not one.

Says a lot about you, indeed.

~Bang

OK, my last answer was intentionally snarky. I don't understand how you don't see that doctors are responsible for looking out for the safety of their patients. ~1500 kids die each year because of irresponsible gun use. It is obviously a safety issue.

Back when I was doing general pediatrics (now specialized) in our office, we would screen patients about whether or not it is likely they have been exposed to lead paint. There is a questionnaire. If house was built before a certain date, etc... If they met certain criteria, they get lead-safety information pamphlet and a screening lab test. We would ask if they had swimming pools (we had a pamphlet about swimming pool safety). I told every family that trampolines were an orthopedist's scheme to get a new boat. I was fanatical about appropriate carseat usage.

If a patient's parent told me they had guns, we would give them a pamphlet about gun safety and kids, emphasizing gun safes and trigger locks. How is that any different from all the other areas of safety that we (appropriately) addressed?

Besides, doctors should ask us personal questions. At my last physical, my internist asked me if I was having any trouble getting it up. Its perfectly ok to tell doctors that you don't want to discuss something. Happens to me all the time...

OK, my last answer was intentionally snarky. I don't understand how you don't see that doctors are responsible for looking out for the safety of their patients. ~1500 kids die each year because of irresponsible gun use. It is obviously a safety issue.

Back when I was doing general pediatrics (now specialized) in our office, we would screen patients about whether or not it is likely they have been exposed to lead paint. There is a questionnaire. If house was built before a certain date, etc... If they met certain criteria, they get lead-safety information pamphlet and a screening lab test. We would ask if they had swimming pools (we had a pamphlet about swimming pool safety). I told every family that trampolines were an orthopedist's scheme to get a new boat. I was fanatical about appropriate carseat usage.

If a patient's parent told me they had guns, we would give them a pamphlet about gun safety and kids, emphasizing gun safes and trigger locks. How is that any different from all the other areas of safety that we (appropriately) addressed?

Besides, doctors should ask us personal questions. At my last physical, my internist asked me if I was having any trouble getting it up. Its perfectly ok to tell doctors that you don't want to discuss something. Happens to me all the time...

How DARE you ask me about how my house was decorated.

I came to you for medical advice. the paint on my walls is MY BUSINESS, buddy.

I don't need you telling me it will make my kids into drooling idiots if they eat it. I'm doing just fine turning them into that on my own, thankyouverymuch.

~Bang

Understand this.

It is not my OPINION that the republican party screams from every mountaintop you can find that they believe government should NOT involve itself in your private life if at all possible.

That is a straight FACT. BIG government is supposedly against everything the right believes.

There is no way in hell you or any of the other sheep who make up the right can justify banning SPEECH when they champion LESS GOVERNMENT.

And as usual with you clowns, when someone has a problem with the brain dead ****s who support these lying sacks of ****, when you point out that they SAY one thing and DO another.. and when you point out that what they just did is actually and truly un-American, they are labelled "anti-conservative".

I am much more conservative than anything considered liberal.

In no WAY does restricting SPEECH fall under "conservatism" except in the minds of the lunatics who have hijacked the party.

If you can agree with a law like this, you're no conservative. You are FOR nanny state big government, you are FOR government restricting speech. You THINK you're doing something for the 2nd amendment, and you're DESTROYING the 1st.

Got that? There's no grey area there.

You say you don't want your doctor asking you this question?

Can't you just say NO? Can't you act like a grown up and say "it's not really your business"" or "I'd rather not discuss it"?

Do you NEED a ****ing LAW to prevent any form of speech to protect your precious guns from even being ASKED about?

What are you afraid of? Someone asking you a QUESTION?

What do you call a person who wants the government sticking it's nose in and halting non-threatening speech?

What do you call a person who believes government has a place in telling anyone how they can run their business?

If you call it a conservative, I call you something that will definitely buy me my seven day pass.

More bull**** from the bull****ters.

I do note that not one other conservative on this site has jumped to even argue about this. Not one.

Says a lot about you, indeed.

~Bang

And I love how you libs preach tolerence yet when someone has an opinion that differs from yours you start the name calling. Dude, you dont know a damn thing about me and who I am and to just "well youre not this, and youre not that" just shows YOUR ignorance. Typical lib, if you dont see things they way I do then you are a fool. Again, you are the guy that will bit@% about me not being open minded to your views and then when I ask you to clarify, explain or show me you reasoning you jump to name calling. We cant all be know it alls. That says alot about YOU indeed...

---------- Post added July-17th-2011 at 10:00 PM ----------

How DARE you ask me about how my house was decorated.

I came to you for medical advice. the paint on my walls is MY BUSINESS, buddy.

I don't need you telling me it will make my kids into drooling idiots if they eat it. I'm doing just fine turning them into that on my own, thankyouverymuch.

~Bang

And for all your bit%&ing and moaning you still havent told me what my guns have to do with anything. Kids eating paint is something he needs to know. Should the child come in sick with vague symptoms that gives the doctor insight. It doesnt take a doctor to know a gunshot would. If that should happen, that is a case for police, not the doctor.

Archived