Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New (FL) law forbidding doctors to talk to patients about guns angers physicians

Mad Mike

Ok, just for the sake of argument. If my kid's Pediatrician asks me "do you have a gun(s) in the house?" and I say "Yes, I do."

How does that qualify a Pediatrician to have a conversation/lecture with me about gun safety? The problem I have with this, is that the Pediatrician will most likely bring their personal political beliefs and biases into the conversation, and why should I have to be subjected to that?

With that said, I don't see the point in their being legislation for this. All you have to do is say "none of your business."

Makes no sense,though getting a weapons lecture from a pediatrician really does not either.

Making the dangers known is a good thing,but dropping a patient that will not talk about it seems extreme.

I agree with TWA here.

Having said that I'm in favor of mandatory gun safety training in order to own a fire arm. Being pro-gun however I'm sensitive to registration lists and don't know how you could do that without giving the government a list of every gun owner in the country. I have no issue with doctors asking question though really it's only an issue because those that own guns are just like every other large population. Filled with mostly reasonable people but still having a large enough number of total morons that it needs to be addressed. :)

How does that qualify a Pediatrician to have a conversation/lecture with me about gun safety? The problem I have with this, is that the Pediatrician will most likely bring their personal political beliefs and biases into the conversation, and why should I have to be subjected to that?

Right, because everybody knows that Pediatricians are completely ignorant about things that affect the health of children, and simply spout off about their political beliefs without any basis to back things up.

With that said, I don't see the point in their being legislation for this. All you have to do is say "none of your business."

Agreed. Medical school might teach you all about the damage a bullet can do to the human body but it doesn't make you a licensed and trained firearm instructor. It's like your plumber asking you about your drinking habits and then telling you how much is too much.

Ok, just for the sake of argument. If my kid's Pediatrician asks me "do you have a gun(s) in the house?" and I say "Yes, I do."

So what? The pediatrician has the right to speak his mind. You could also ask him to hush and say that this isn't a subject fit to have in front of your child. I know your trying to come up with a devil's argument, but I just don't get it. If I go into a barber shop and the barber asks me a question or if I just say something and he gives me his opinion... that's cool. If I go into a church and the minister decides to preach about something and give me his opinion. That's okay too.

Americans have the right to talk. We have the right to hold and share opinions. We even have the right to voice them if we're wrong. A doctor is a citizen of the United States. If you don't like what he has to say and he won't shut up about it you have the right to find a different doctor. A doctor is a private citizen in a private business. Unless he is slandering you or inciting you to violence, he's got a right to speak.

Next, Florida will pass a law forbidding doctors to talk about nutrition.

Yay! Let's kill the first ammendment! Freedom of Speech? What's that? Asking a question... no, that's way too dangerous.

We are limited in many ways with freedom of speech unfortunately.

My problem would be initially what does this have to do with my kid, and then I would move on to another doctor that didn't question why I had guns in my home. I don't ask if they have guns in their office.

Agreed. Medical school might teach you all about the damage a bullet can do to the human body but it doesn't make you a licensed and trained firearm instructor. It's like your plumber asking you about your drinking habits and then telling you how much is too much.

I agree.

I do not think this should be a law however. I think there should be smarter people out there that move on to a doctor who doesn't invade my private life regarding irrelevant decisions to their practice.

We just went through an entire thread where i found out a Lawyer is not allowed to talk to regular humans about serious questions due to their status.

I'd agree doctors are in the same league if not higher. Their views influence people and should not stray outside their profession.

Though i bet a lot of the country doctors have been giving advice on Everything forever..

Nah, lawyers are a different animal than doctors in this matter. Though lawyers have the right to share their opinions too. Just not when they're representing someone else or if it breaks patient confidentiality.

I guess my big gripe here is that what you guys seemingly are saying is that the KKK and Neo Nazis are free to march and speak and say whatever they want, but in your mind we should restrict a doctor from talking about safety issues? This law seems not only unconstitutional, but stupid.

Now switching a doctor cause you can't stand his politics, find him too opinionated, a bore, or for any other reason I get, but making a law to prevent a doctor from sharing his opinion earns a big and whole hearted BOOOO from me.

---------- Post added July-15th-2011 at 07:48 PM ----------

Hmmm

Not in a thread obviously :D

Well, thank goodness for small favors :cheers:

Our right to disagree and yammer endlessly must be protected!

Goddam liberals with their nanny state know-better-than-you rules telling us who can say what and to whom!

Why won't they get government out of our lives like we red blooded conservatives want?

WHERE'S MY FREEDOM?????

~Bang

I don't know why people are saying "Its not the Drs JOB to be talking to you about gun safety"

Yeah, so?

Should we ban him from telling you his opinion on the economy? Or on immigration? This law seems exceptionally unnecessary and possibly unconstitutional. If you don't like the Docs advise, don't take it.

Right, because everybody knows that Pediatricians are completely ignorant about things that affect the health of children, and simply spout off about their political beliefs without any basis to back things up.

Well, because guns aren't a "disease." Guns don't "affect the health of children."

Do pediatricians take classes on "Gun Safety" as part of their curriculum? There is no way a conversation like that could be objective.

but again, I don't see the relevance of legislation for this. What a giant waste of time.

I don't know why people are saying "Its not the Drs JOB to be talking to you about gun safety"

Yeah, so?

Should we ban him from telling you his opinion on the economy? Or on immigration? This law seems exceptionally unnecessary and possibly unconstitutional. If you don't like the Docs advise, don't take it.

You are paying the Doctor for a service. Not for an opinion on raising a child with "guns in the home." However, in my opinion it's your choice if you want to discuss this matter with your Doctor or not. They can ask, and you can say "none of your business" End of story.

Now, if they go so far as to refuse you service, because you won't disclose that information...how is that not evidence enough of why it shouldn't be any of their business?

---------- Post added July-15th-2011 at 08:25 PM ----------

Are you really that stupid? Or was that just a mis-speak?

Do you know of any kid who has ever had "gun" or was diagnosed with "gun disease?"

I guess I'm that stupid.

By the way, did you know that cars are dangerous for kids as well? Should I get a driving lesson from a pediatrician because I have children?

Yeah, so?

YES we absolutely should.

The ONLY way to get government out of our lives like we conservatives really want is to make sure that people aren't talking about or engaging in things we don't want them to.

By restricting doctors ability to speak about whatever they want all willy nilly, we don't have to devote as much time and resources to making sure they don't, and that shrinks government.

Imagine the savings when we can cut virtually the ENTIRE Anti-anti-gun task force?

They make up a significant portion of the Do As We Say and Shut The **** Up division (DAWSTFU), and has grown to be just another bloated bureaocracy. (F-in libs!)

Preventing doctors from refusing business because they disagree with someone's 2nd Amendment lifestyle choice is important, and it is in the doctor's best interest for two reasons.

For one, by making sure they must respect the rights of gun owners, it sets a precedent to insure that every American's rights are protected against ridiculous personal moral standards that conflict with American freedom. (Like, say a couple of voluntary same sex sodomites try to buy cupcakes for a party. They should not be subjected to the personal morality of the.. baker. and . that means.. that.. if they had a gun, maybe they could get cupcakes.. )

anyway i'm all off track.

the other reason the doctors are protected by this law is that it will prevent them from having to attend re-education camp when we win the presidency in 2012. (F Obama!)

~Baznginski

Poor Bang. When I first met you you were a hard core conservative. Now look what the conservatives have done to you.

Then again, who'd have thought the conservatives would wind up modeling themselves more after Stalin than Reagan?

For me, I guess the bigger question is should a Doctor be able to refuse you service because you won't disclose the information about guns in your home?

The solution here is just lie. "No, I don't," (while you are thinking about going to the range to get in some practice) or maybe "I did own guns before I didn't" :ols:

For me, I guess the bigger question is should a Doctor be able to refuse you service because you won't disclose the information about guns in your home?

The solution here is just lie. "No, I don't," (while you are thinking about going to the range to get in some practice) or maybe "I did own guns before I didn't" :ols:

In my opnion, a doctor shouldn't deny you service, but speaking as a conservative for a moment... who are you to tell a business who he can and can't serve? But most importantly, a doctor should not be constrained on subjects of health and safety. The freedom to speak shall not be abridged. I don't see any good reason to gag doctors on this subject. It's not harming them, defaming them, or endangering them.

So, basically conservatives are now anti-free speech and anti-free market?

No need to present facts twa. We don't like guns in a house with children, and we should be able to tell you our professional "opinion" and you are GOING TO LISTEN to my professional opinion on guns whether you like it or not regardless of statistics. If not, I will refuse to see your child.

Archived